Defensive frustrations

Why is Houston in coverage so much. Let him get after the QB. This frustrates me with Sutton.

Please no more Zombo. He is terrible. No pass rush and soft in run support. I understand Kpass might now be ready but Zombo isn't either and never will be.

Defense will be fine. We gave up a big play, but other than that solid. We really missed Dee Ford today in pass rushing situations.

Yeah, and we really miss not having Hali and/or Dadi in reserve.  Hopefully they both will be ready to go when they're eligible to come off PUP.  

Listen I'm not saying the defense was bad. These are Judy little things I'd like to see different for us to take the next level as a defense.

Yeah, I didn't like Davis' big catch or the first TD, but otherwise... wait, I can't just exclude those. Glad we won. Glad Dotson dropped the ball.

With the lack of Berry Sutton isn't as comfortable with the Safeties as he was last year. Right now the focus seems to be to stop the big play but we are giving up way too many first downs in the process and Houston plays more like a 4-3 OLB rather than a 3-4 OLB. Ford will probably come back as the pass rushing OLB which will help but probably not be as effective against the underneath plays as Zombo was today. Overall this defense still hasn't adjusted but doing just enough for the win.

If the offensive line wasn't struggling so badly, the Chiefs' offense might take a multiple-score lead. Then we could see whether this was a defense playing under pressure or a defense playing to pressure. Sutton's trying to scheme to cover for the loss of an upper-tier strong safety and a good nickle cornerback, and last night he had to play the backup's backup across from Houston.

The Chiefs' defense gave up 20 points to the Redskins in a game where the offense didn't have a lead until the second half. The big play seemed to be where the Chiefs got hurt. Otherwise, they limited the Redskins to 6 plays per drive. More concerning was that they allowed 2.5 points per drive on the Redskins' first 8 drives. In the end, I think that this defense can play better, but the team found a way to win.

The primary problem is not the defense, and health could solve some problems there, too.

I think we're hamstrung in our secondary and Sutton is trying to cover up some of the flaws by playing conservatively.

Maybe I'm crazy but it seems every game, the D starts out slowly and then as the game progresses, he gets more aggressive.

That is the major difference I see this year. The team is adapting and changing as the game plays out. In the past they had a game plan and seemed to never updat as the game progressed.

Archived