Can we get back our two picks for the 2018 draft?

So it looks like at this current juncture we won't have picks for the first and fifth rounds. Whatever happens this season, I think it's important we keep building this talented side and take every pick we can possibly get. Clearly, Smith is a weapon we're gonna have to use to get one of them back. But who else can we realistically sacrifice? Ware? Conley? 

Nobody we don't want will get us a 1st round pick unless a team is stupid enough or desperate enough to give a first for Alex. Just don't see it.

Yeah but we could throw in some added bonuses on top of Smith, right? :D If not the first then having another pick in the 2nd could be handy. Getting back that 5th round one should also be achievable by trading another player hopefully.

Smith can probably bring in a 2nd which should be very useful but I'm not sure if the staff would worry too much about getting something even higher in exchange for some talent. I could see the Chiefs giving up on Ware but doubt he has enough trade value. Adding another early pick helps out a lot.

So the first we gave up is almost a second. In reality we gave up a high second round pick to move up and get Mahomes. So a second or maybe two seconds may be a possible return for Smith. If he plays this well all year QB needy teams will want him just like we did. Get him for three years and groom a replacement.

Like the Chiefs' first pick last year, there's a huge variation in the pick value depending on where the team ranks.  A second from Cleveland is worth nearly as much as a first from NE for example.  So it all depends on which team would give a second for Alex.  Not too many team that finish with a winning record will be looking for a starting QB via a trade.  Which teams does everyone think would give up a second for Smith?  Even some of the neediest teams have their QBOTF waiting in the wings.

Like the Chiefs' first pick last year, there's a huge variation in the pick value depending on where the team ranks. A second from Cleveland is worth nearly as much as a first from NE for example. So it all depends on which team would give a second for Alex. Not too many team that finish with a winning record will be looking for a starting QB via a trade. Which teams does everyone think would give up a second for Smith? Even some of the neediest teams have their QBOTF waiting in the wings.

Jacksonville for one. Having a QBOTF on the bench not ready to play is one thing having someone like Smith to not only tutor them but to also help win now is another.

Smith will have value, what that value is will be dependent on all these so called QBOTF progression and their owners willingness to lose during that progression.

Like the Chiefs' first pick last year, there's a huge variation in the pick value depending on where the team ranks.  A second from Cleveland is worth nearly as much as a first from NE for example.  So it all depends on which team would give a second for Alex.  Not too many team that finish with a winning record will be looking for a starting QB via a trade.  Which teams does everyone think would give up a second for Smith?  Even some of the neediest teams have their QBOTF waiting in the wings.

Ravens= Don't have a star QB at the moment and may feel inclined to go for players in other positions and get an experienced QB for their second round pick.

Cinci= Have two weak QB's at the moment. They've also got two picks in the first round (one we gave to them)  so sacrificing a second round pick in order to get Smith might appeal to them. They could still get a young QB in the first round aswell to compliment Smith.

Buffalo= Don't have the best QB options at the moment tbh. Taylor is Ok but not on Smiths level. 

Jets= Another team who doesn't have a star QB and is struggling in this department. Having a proven performer like Alex might appeal to them more than taking a risk on a rookie in a year where the QB group doesn't seem that strong.

Jaggs= Again they don't anyone back there who is pulling up trees or on a major contract. 

I'd say these are the sides who we'd have to dangle the carrot infront of in the hope that one of them bites. The draft next year will no doubt see QB's Darnald, Rosen, Mayfield and maybe Jackson get picked up. But the likes of Jackson is still raw as hell so I do think teams will want an experienced QB to guide some of these kids.

If we get a second round pick for Smith, it will not be because that team really wants or needs a quarterback and wants to trade that amount. It'll be because there is more than one team interested.

Otherwise, they would just wait for us to cut Smith. The wildcard would be when we trade or cut him. Would we try to get him the most time if we think the compensation for the same or will we play some gamesmanship? Let's hope we as a team win the Super Bowl and have a little bit more leverage. If we win the Super Bowl, I would think that Smith earned that final contract year, but that might not be in his best interest, not that we care about his interest more than ours.

If Alex continues to be the more Gutsy Alex, and has his best year, I think we may be able to get a 3rd from a team that thinks they're a QB away.  Pitt if Ben goes, Jax if Bortles can't get over the hump, Wash, if SF gets Kirk might be in that Market. Maybe Zona, although I think they're in need of a total rebuild.   

Pending that, I don't see more than a 5t or 6th.  

A middle of the road team is probably our best bet. Terrible ones will go for a top QB prospect early on and most good teams already have QBs. A team like the Bills could upgrade from Taylor to Smith but might not want to deal with a long term deal as they have Taylor only for another season. 

I think a team like Jets could be a nice option for the Chiefs. They have a young QB who doesn't seem to be a sure thing and they win some games with a career backup. They have a lot of holes to fill and in the mean time could use a reliable QB to help shape that lineup. A mid 2nd for Smith will probably benefit both teams. 

Why Peters? He's a top 5 CB in the league, that would be asinine.

The Chiefs are going to have to axe two important guys to keep Peters. That's just the way this will work out. I'm not sure Peters is worth what the Chiefs will lose to keep him. I've said the same thing about guys like Hali and Berry, and you especially feel the drain on talent when your premiere player goes down for several games, or even a whole season.

The Chiefs are going to have to axe two important guys to keep Peters. That's just the way this will work out. I'm not sure Peters is worth what the Chiefs will lose to keep him. I've said the same thing about guys like Hali and Berry, and you especially feel the drain on talent when your premiere player goes down for several games, or even a whole season.

If Smith, DJ, and Hali are all gone next season, wouldn't the Chiefs have the cap room to keep their other players?

Could we get a first and a third for Peters? I know it won’t be popular, but that would essentially be trading Peters straight across for Mahomes , and I’d trade a great corner for a great young qb every time.

The only problem with this logic is you'd essentially be trading a great cb for a young, developmental qb.

Which two are more important than a CB who is rated in the top three in the league and is only 24 years old? If you were talking about Kelce, Hill or Hunt I might agree, but they aren't going anywhere.

As for folks talking about trading Peters!!... smh it would be utter madness imo and it seems like folks are talking this up just because the man is motivated to sit in the name of equality. Oh what a crime he has committed.

Anyway guys. I dunno if people paid attention to this but last month we traded Isaiah Battle to Seattle for a "conditional draft pick". Battle hasn't played for them yet but he's been active on their roster all season thus far. It would probably be a late round pick but perhaps this could be one of the two picks we may get back? Let's hope so. The next port of call will be getting back a 2nd round pick. 

Smith, Ware, Hali, DJ, Conley etc could all potentially be used? 

Archived