All hail buttkicker

I was thinking that we could have lost that game if he had made the field-goal before the half. The reason is because they would be down by six and have to go for a touchdown. All of a sudden that third and two would really be like second and two. They would probably go for the first down, and while our defense has had goal line stops before, we could have lost the game.

Of course, other things in the game might've changed if we had made the field-goal but those things could also be negative. For example, if we had made the field-goal maybe we would've been up or already tied on one of the scoring drives and change our approach?

If it weren't for lining up in the neutral zone, we would've had a field goal instead of a touchdown in the third quarter and maybe we get a touchdown instead of a field goal after that or maybe we don't. So many things could've changed in this game and I'm so glad that Dotson dropped the ball. It would've made a touchdown necessary to win the game for us.

The thing I'm most happy about is that with 47 seconds to go we did not do the run one play and let the clock run out shit that we've done before.

I think there was some confusion on how many turnouts were left. After the Chiefs took their what appeared to be 2nd TO, the ref announced it as their 3rd. Also the screen showed 2. I believe the players on the field thought 2 where Reid thought 3 that was the reason for the spike.

1st TO at 3:25 in the 3rd quarter.

2nd TO at :27 in the 4th quarter.

The refs got it wrong. Anyone who recorded the game go back to their 2nd timeout and listen to the refs.

I think there was some confusion on how many turnouts were left. After the Chiefs took their what appeared to be 2nd TO, the ref announced it as their 3rd. Also the screen showed 2. I believe the players on the field thought 2 where Reid thought 3 that was the reason for the spike.

The refs got it wrong. Anyone who recorded the game go back to their 2nd timeout and listen to the refs.

Was the second one right after the Conley catch/fumble that they reviewed?  It looked like they charged us a timeout for that instead of stopping it to review.

Was the second one right after the Conley catch/fumble that they reviewed? It looked like they charged us a timeout for that instead of stopping it to review.

Which doesn't make any sense at all. The play was ruled down so why would we challenge it? I know we did not challenge it, but it seems like if they accidentally gave us the time out, they would've had the least thought there was some reason for us to challenge it. And even then, we would have had to have lost the challenge in order to lose the time out. So it didn't make any sense, though I would note that the announcer said we called a timeout before the review. Which if that is true, why are we calling a timeout? One of my pet peeve's is when there is a questionable play and we don't hurry up to get the next play off or we call a time out.

Which doesn't make any sense at all. The play was ruled down so why would we challenge it? I know we did not challenge it, but it seems like if they accidentally gave us the time out, they would've had the least thought there was some reason for us to challenge it. And even then, we would have had to have lost the challenge in order to lose the time out. So it didn't make any sense, though I would note that the announcer said we called a timeout before the review. Which if that is true, why are we calling a timeout? One of my pet peeve's is when there is a questionable play and we don't hurry up to get the next play off or we call a time out.

No I think it was the other way, Reid was calling timeout but the review comes from upstairs.  If they were going to review it you would think we get our timeout back because we have to call a timeout since we don't know if they will review it and we would lose seconds.

No I think it was the other way, Reid was calling timeout but the review comes from upstairs. If they were going to review it you would think we get our timeout back because we have to call a timeout since we don't know if they will review it and we would lose seconds.

So in that case we were trying to call timeout. I thought that we did not call a timeout and that they were trying to charge us time out. Thought maybe the review looked like it was a timeout so the TV announcer announced it. But yes if we called it, it makes sense that we should get back because the clock stopped anyway.

Either way, spiking of the ball hurt our yards per attempt and percentage. Blasted! Just kidding.

Glad the kid had composure and confidence enough to recover from the first miss...which was no gimme..46 yards..wind blowing right to left. He has plenty of leg..exhibited by the kick offs..he should be fine.

He has a crazy leg.

I don't know what they thought, but they did the right thing. They gave themselves enough time and a timeout to fall on a muffed snap and kick again on 4th down. That was the smart play.

Let's see how it goes....

We all know what happens when you have a crappy kicker in key playoff games....

(I will not utter the name...)

w

Butker has already shown more than the kicker who shall not be named.  That guy was missing all season and IIRC, released by the Cowboys because of incompetence.  Butker, in spite of his denials, probably did feel mighty nervous on the first kick.  Just be glad he didn't have to try a 55 yarder to save the game.  After a few weeks, he should be no more pressured than Santos would have been.  The only thing to hold him back would be mental and he showed mental toughness last night.

Butker has already shown more than the kicker who shall not be named.  That guy was missing all season and IIRC, released by the Cowboys because of incompetence.  Butker, in spite of his denials, probably did feel mighty nervous on the first kick.  Just be glad he didn't have to try a 55 yarder to save the game.  After a few weeks, he should be no more pressured than Santos would have been.  The only thing to hold him back would be mental and he showed mental toughness last night.

he was 71.7% career at Ga Tech... 88.2% in 2016. 4th all time on their FG scoring list.

that's a kid who's been there before

How many of those misses were long desperation tries?  88% isn't bad if not too many of the misses were inside 45 yards.

not sure... at any rate 88% is pretty consistent

just saying the kid's got a huge leg... whether or not he reaches his potential is another story...

Archived