Where's the return game?

Big returns and Special teams play has been remarkably absent during the first quarter of the season. Did Toub forget how to coach? Are the wrong guys returning kicks? Has Tyreek been neutralized or give an order to always call for the fair catch because he's too valuable to lose as a decoy in this offense? Why the hell is DAT on this team again? Should they activate Cheeson and give him a crack at it?

Teams aren't going to let the Chiefs kill them on returns anymore if they can help it.  They're punting the ball out of bounds or kicking it high to force a fair catch.  Teams have been executing this perfectly so far, but let's hope they start to shank some kicks and a few get big returns.

On the flip side, we've taken it out of the end zone too much.  All teams are doing this, and it drives me crazy.  With kickoff touchbacks now to the 25 these past few years (I forget exactly which year it started), the incentive to take it out of the end zone is extremely low.  The NFL average when teams do this is a starting point of the 22 or 23, I recently read.  It's absolute madness that teams haven't adjusted.

On the flip side, we've taken it out of the end zone too much.  All teams are doing this, and it drives me crazy.  With kickoff touchbacks now to the 25 these past few years (I forget exactly which year it started), the incentive to take it out of the end zone is extremely low.  The NFL average when teams do this is a starting point of the 22 or 23, I recently read.  It's absolute madness that teams haven't adjusted.

I get your point but I only notice it  when the Chiefs seem to need a spark and  other than a good INT nothing sparks a team like a nice run back, I'm not saying that the only time they do that its just when I notice it..not sure DAT is the guy to do that, he's certainly no Dante Hall which is a shame with all the hoopla that came with him being a Duck. 

other than that  90 times out of 100 I'd take the Ball on the 25

I honestly don't remember a time when it has paid off this year, whether we needed a spark or not.  If it's not Hill, there is zero reason to do it.  Even with Hill, I don't think it's smart.

I agree it has yet to pay off.. but no guts no glory/ Who  Dares Wins

DAT has been playing well and very focused into the game. Everytime I watch him play it looks like he wants to be out there and make a difference. He should return the punts IMO and let Hill take care of the offensive side. They will start punting it more to him if DAT is back there, and he's a good punt returner

DAT has been playing well and very focused into the game. Everytime I watch him play it looks like he wants to be out there and make a difference. He should return the punts IMO and let Hill take care of the offensive side. They will start punting it more to him if DAT is back there, and he's a good punt returner

Sorry this guy may be mister try hard but he sucks! Dumb decisions time & time again.

Personally, I feel when Hill returns kicks...there is always a chance for 6..but the opposing team's know that one wicked hit on our #1 wr takes him out of the plans for North/South 6's on every offensive play..its not a wise tradeoff..and i would prefer DAT or anyone else to fill that role.

I think I heard last week that return yardage as a whole is down across the league, though I can’t confirm that. Really though, that’s what the league wanted with its rule changes. It really sucks for the fans, as special teams were some of the most exciting plays.

I get your point but I only notice it  when the Chiefs seem to need a spark and  other than a good INT nothing sparks a team like a nice run back, I'm not saying that the only time they do that its just when I notice it..not sure DAT is the guy to do that, he's certainly no Dante Hall which is a shame with all the hoopla that came with him being a Duck. 

other than that  90 times out of 100 I'd take the Ball on the 25

Chiefs have been consistently taking it out of the end zone in Toub era. I'm guessing he likes to risk it and his confidence in the players probably lead to the successful ST play we have been watching. Opponents are spending quite a bit of time trying to figure out how to stop the special teams which is a big advantage on its own.

Chiefs have been consistently taking it out of the end zone in Toub era. I'm guessing he likes to risk it and his confidence in the players probably lead to the successful ST play we have been watching. Opponents are spending quite a bit of time trying to figure out how to stop the special teams which is a big advantage on its own.

good point

Big returns and Special teams play has been remarkably absent during the first quarter of the season. Did Toub forget how to coach? Are the wrong guys returning kicks? Has Tyreek been neutralized or give an order to always call for the fair catch because he's too valuable to lose as a decoy in this offense? Why the hell is DAT on this team again? Should they activate Cheeson and give him a crack at it?

Are you really questioning Dave Toub? That's laughable. Every season he inherits a bunch of new players he has to break in and it takes time. DAT hurt his should vs SD and has one return since because of it. And teams are scheming to try and keep Tyreek from beating then. We will just have to get healthy and make some adjustments. I'm betting we get it done.

If the kick returners can consistently get it out to the 20, I think it's worth the risk.  Maybe they give up five yards on ten consecutive kicks over taking the touch back, but it only takes one or two big returns to make up for it.  What get to me, and all teams seem to have the problem, is the high percentage of punt returns that are called for holding or blocks in the back.  Is it that hard to avoid illegal blocks on returns?  

I stand corrected. It seemed like last year that the Chiefs had to be more complete in all three phases of the game to win the tough matchups but the Chiefs didn't have the same player under center that they have now at QB and that has made all the difference so far.

Although, the punt return by Hill was actually the go ahead score for the Chiefs so the return of the return game this week was much needed.

I stand corrected. It seemed like last year that the Chiefs had to be more complete in all three phases of the game to win the tough matchups but the Chiefs didn't have the same player under center that they have now at QB and that has made all the difference so far.

Although, the punt return by Hill was actually the go ahead score for the Chiefs so the return of the return game this week was much needed.

See, I knew that that stupid last-second touchdown was going to make somebody call the return touchdown essentially the game winner. The last touchdown was garbage time points. I'm not saying that we definitely stop that if we had a smaller lead, but it isn't the same.

Archived