Alex "F It" Smith

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Through 5 games he's been the best QB in the NFL and certainly the best in my lifetime as far as Chiefs QBs go

Trent Green says hi. Alex has been great though. Hopefully he can keep it up, win a super bowl, then ride off into the sunset while the chiefs build toward a decade or better of patriot like dominance with mahomes and hunt.

Trent Green says hi. Alex has been great though. Hopefully he can keep it up, win a super bowl, then ride off into the sunset while the chiefs build toward a decade or better of patriot like dominance with mahomes and hunt.[/quote

Loved Trent and he sustained it for three full seasons. But I don't even remember him being this type of playmaker vs this good of competition (we may have just beaten 4 playoff teams in 5 weeks) playing behind makeshift group of backups interior offensive linemen. Alex has transformed himself into Aaron Rodgers with all these plays he's making outside the pocket. No way he can keep this up. Right? It may be to the point teams want to just try and force him to stay in the pocket.

He didn't even do the Alex Tonight, sacking himself.  Best game I've seen him play with us.   We needed every bit of it too.  Houston is a scary good team, with an excellent QB and some top WR's for the next decade.  Sorry we lost Conley.  Demarcus, time to step up.   I'd sign Seantavius Jones tommorrow.   

I've been a Alex Smith fan for a while. It's mainly because I like the underdog, and wanted him to do well every since I watched his playoff game against the Saints, when he was with the Niners. I hope he keeps this up.

Can't really blame him checking down and not really taking risks with the state of the OL, besides we don't really need them so far. He's not giving up on plays as early as he used to which is a huge plus and once the OL settles I think we could see a very new dimension in Smith's game. 

Trent Green says hi. Alex has been great though. Hopefully he can keep it up, win a super bowl, then ride off into the sunset while the chiefs build toward a decade or better of patriot like dominance with mahomes and hunt.

It’s a tough comparison because Trent had 2 HOF offensive lineman and also was throwing to a HOF TE, lots of qb’s would have thrived in that offense.

Alex is completing an unbelievable 77 percent of his passes with an absolutely stellar 8.8 YPA. And he's top 3 in QB rushing yards. This isn't sustainable for anyone. Give Andy a ton of credit too. And clearly Mahomes for lighting this fire. But again realistically Alex is gonna come down to earth and we are going to need defense to play better. But that is almost likely as we get some starters back. This is just clearly a really good team.

Alex is completing an unbelievable 77 percent of his passes with an absolutely stellar 8.8 YPA. And he's top 3 in QB rushing yards. This isn't sustainable for anyone. Give Andy a ton of credit too. And clearly Mahomes for lighting this fire. But again realistically Alex is gonna come down to earth and we are going to need defense to play better. But that is almost likely as we get some starters back. This is just clearly a really good team.

I give credit to this being his contract year and having a better supporting cast that Andy Reid is using well.

I think Smith can "come to earth" by getting back to his regular "good". I don't think it's going to come down to earth by playing poorly or way too conservative. Obviously, eventually he'll throw an interception. Yards per attempt will go down. When the completion percentage goes down that might actually be attempting deeper passes than we already have. Depending on when we connect when we don't, it might coincide with even better team play.

I give credit to this being his contract year and having a better supporting cast that Andy Reid is using well.

I think Smith can "come to earth" by getting back to his regular "good". I don't think it's going to come down to earth by playing poorly or way too conservative. Obviously, eventually he'll throw an interception. Yards per attempt will go down. When the completion percentage goes down that might actually be attempting deeper passes than we already have. Depending on when we connect when we don't, it might coincide with even better team play.

he still has next year  on his contract  $22 Mil in all if he shows up to camp etc

he still has next year on his contract $22 Mil in all if he shows up to camp etc

You know what I mean. Either way, it was a contract year. His 22 million makes it so. Mahomes will be special, but if we had drafted Desean, we would call the "Watson Effect." Smith doesn't care if the "special" is the better-than-Watson Mahomes or the better-than-Mahomes Watson or some other quarterback. He's either here or not.

Between Tyreek, Kelce and Kareem defenses now are going to try and take 1-2 of those guys away and leave at least one in single coverage. And Alex is getting the ball to that guy. Heck the other WRs are getting it done too. So your exactly right we haven't had weapons that had to be accounted for like this before.

Alex is on pace for 4,500 yards, 35 TDs, 0 INTs and we are a third of the way through the season. He's just been remarkably good. This just isn't sustainable. I'll say this though. If he throws for 4,000 yards and say 27 TDs, 8 INTs. It would be the best season by a Chiefs QB ever and probably enough to win 12 plus games and have a good chance at home field advantage. Can he do this would be my question? Can he be that much better than he's ever been?

he still has next year  on his contract  $22 Mil in all if he shows up to camp etc

Smith will want a new contract after this season, with the Chiefs or some other team. He won't risk another season and age for his final pay day. Having him under contract for another year is a nice chip for the Chiefs.

Of all quarterbacks to play during the Super Bowl era, Alex Smith ranks second in all-time win percentage in the final or most-recent 33 starts of his career. Earl Morrall was the leader with an .875 win percentage, and John Elway tied with Smith with .818. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady round out the top-five with a .758 record.

Between Tyreek, Kelce and Kareem defenses now are going to try and take 1-2 of those guys away and leave at least one in single coverage. And Alex is getting the ball to that guy. Heck the other WRs are getting it done too. So your exactly right we haven't had weapons that had to be accounted for like this before.

Alex is on pace for 4,500 yards, 35 TDs, 0 INTs and we are a third of the way through the season. He's just been remarkably good. This just isn't sustainable. I'll say this though. If he throws for 4,000 yards and say 27 TDs, 8 INTs. It would be the best season by a Chiefs QB ever and probably enough to win 12 plus games and have a good chance at home field advantage. Can he do this would be my question? Can he be that much better than he's ever been?

Due to sitting out the final game of two years ago, he had 23 touchdowns instead of 25 or so. But if he gets just one touchdown per game for the rest the year, he would get 22. Barring some real bad luck, he shouldn't get an interception anymore than every other game for the remainder of the season, so 5? So my conservative floor is 22 and 5. The ceiling for me is probably 33 and 4. (That's two per game. Rounding up on the interceptions due to luck and the fact that we will push at some point.) So your numbers above are reasonable, in the middle.

As far as yards go, he has 1391 already and we have 11 games remaining so 1391 + a very conservative 200 per game would be 3591. Bump that average to 225 and we have 3866, so 4000 isn't out of the question for even a down to Earth Smith. (241.5 yards per game was last year's average in 14.5 games, I think.)

It’s a tough comparison because Trent had 2 HOF offensive lineman and also was throwing to a HOF TE, lots of qb’s would have thrived in that offense.

He was also dropping dimes on 25 yard outs and post patterns to Eddie Kennison and Jonnie Morton.  When that offense stepped on the field, you expected them to score.  I don't mean that as any disrespect to Smith, but I'm still of the opinion that Trent is the best QB this franchise has ever had, well until Mahomes begins his HOF career.

He was also dropping dimes on 25 yard outs and post patterns to Eddie Kennison and Jonnie Morton. When that offense stepped on the field, you expected them to score. I don't mean that as any disrespect to Smith, but I'm still of the opinion that Trent is the best QB this franchise has ever had, well until Mahomes begins his HOF career.

It's funny, I've thought about this a ton over Smiths time in KC. Last night was the very first time I was confident each and every time we touched the ball since Alex got here.

With eyes downfield, Alex is a different QB. Plain and simple. I'm **SO** excited for Mahomes but if Alex keeps this up, I'll actually get to enjoy this year and not lament letting Mahomes learn in-game. I even believe that playing like this I have winning playoff aspirations as well.

Archived