Alex "F It" Smith

He was also dropping dimes on 25 yard outs and post patterns to Eddie Kennison and Jonnie Morton.  When that offense stepped on the field, you expected them to score.  I don't mean that as any disrespect to Smith, but I'm still of the opinion that Trent is the best QB this franchise has ever had, well until Mahomes begins his HOF career.

It is definitely hard to compare the 2 QB's. Trent Green can do everything that Smith is doing with the exception of Smith being a more mobile QB. Unfortunately for Smith in this comparison is that Green performed for multiple years at a high level. Losing a playoff game to Peyton Manning's Colts with ZERO punts pretty much sums up how good Trent was in KC. The way Smith is playing right now, I would probably take over Green but Green was getting it done for years.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was also dropping dimes on 25 yard outs and post patterns to Eddie Kennison and Jonnie Morton.  When that offense stepped on the field, you expected them to score.  I don't mean that as any disrespect to Smith, but I'm still of the opinion that Trent is the best QB ( that I have seen)this franchise has ever had, well until Mahomes begins his HOF career.

I fixed it for ya

cough cough ..Dawson

lets not get carried away

He was also dropping dimes on 25 yard outs and post patterns to Eddie Kennison and Jonnie Morton.  When that offense stepped on the field, you expected them to score.  I don't mean that as any disrespect to Smith, but I'm still of the opinion that Trent is the best QB this franchise has ever had, well until Mahomes begins his HOF career.

He definitely was but like I said he was able to sit behind one of the best lines in football history and throw.  Also you need to give him the same criticism you give Alex, especially when you talk about the offense not taking full advantage and scoring like you were in the GDT yesterday.  Take the colts playoff loss for example, against a crappy colts D at home, we went down 14-3 in the first, ended up scoring only 24 (Hall had the other 7 on a punt return) and Green ended up 18-30 for 212 yards and 1 TD.  That line you would be lighting Alex on fire for and saying that even though the D didn't get a stop, the O should have done much more.

I fixed it for ya

cough cough ..Dawson

lets not get carried away

I know the Super Bowl and everything, but I intentionally omitted Lenny because it was just such a different era.  He was great in his day, but I have doubts that a QB like him would've been able to excel in the modern pass happy NFL.  Trent's accuracy was just ridiculous.  

He definitely was but like I said he was able to sit behind one of the best lines in football history and throw.  Also you need to give him the same criticism you give Alex, especially when you talk about the offense not taking full advantage and scoring like you were in the GDT yesterday.  Take the colts playoff loss for example, against a crappy colts D at home, we went down 14-3 in the first, ended up scoring only 24 (Hall had the other 7 on a punt return) and Green ended up 18-30 for 212 yards and 1 TD.  That line you would be lighting Alex on fire for and saying that even though the D didn't get a stop, the O should have done much more.

Were you around the boards at that time?  I can't remember.  I was absolutely blasting the offense that day.  The Colts had a great offense, and we knew our defense was subpar anyway, so it was entirely on the offense.  I nearly had a stroke when Vermiel punted.  IIRC, I think Gonzales had a very costly drop in that game too.

I know the Super Bowl and everything, but I intentionally omitted Lenny because it was just such a different era.  He was great in his day, but I have doubts that a QB like him would've been able to excel in the modern pass happy NFL.  Trent's accuracy was just ridiculous.  

Yes and no. I didn't watch Lenny play, I was born in '79. But from books and articles I've read, Lenny was a QB that did pass the ball more than the norm for his era. That said it still doesn't compare to today. Than again, I remember seeing some crazy stat from last season about Alex Smith, Lenny the Cool, and one other QB having an average QB rating while winning "x" amount of games. Alex Smith of last season did what Lenny was doing, but doing it in the modern era...and winning. I wish I could remember where I seen the stats, internet, TV.

Question is how are teams going to adapt to how we are playing. To me Alex is really putting pressure on defenses when he gets outside of the tackles. In the past it was simply because he could run, but now he's using that time to make plays down the field. As such shouldn't we expect teams to start to try and keep him in the pocket and force him try and beat one on one matchups on the outside? If i was playing us, that's what I would do. 

well her is food for thought for you post Lenny guys who might thave " doubts that a QB like him would've been able to excel in the modern pass happy NFL"

14 game seasons  where the DB's had almost no restraints on them  from 1962-67 he passed over 2200 yrds in all but one year. you give him 2 more games  and the WR favorable rules like today he's 3K + 7 years in a row

but here is a chart so you can study the facts not what you think. He was Joe Namath's Idol..said he practiced walking out to the Huddle like Lenny

http://www.nfl.com/player/lendawson/2512662/careerstats

Question is how are teams going to adapt to how we are playing. To me Alex is really putting pressure on defenses when he gets outside of the tackles. In the past it was simply because he could run, but now he's using that time to make plays down the field. As such shouldn't we expect teams to start to try and keep him in the pocket and force him try and beat one on one matchups on the outside? If i was playing us, that's what I would do. 

If teams start doing that, Hunt is going to gash them.  

Were you around the boards at that time?  I can't remember.  I was absolutely blasting the offense that day.  The Colts had a great offense, and we knew our defense was subpar anyway, so it was entirely on the offense.  I nearly had a stroke when Vermiel punted.  IIRC, I think Gonzales had a very costly drop in that game too.

Boerighter had the TD drop.

Morten Anderson missed an easy FG

TG was wrongly called for OPI on a 40+ yard TD reception.

refs cost us 7, we shot ourselves in the foot cost us 7 points

Things that have made Smith better this year:

a. Hunt

b. Hill

c. Mahomes

d. Reid

Hunt is such a threat to rip off a first down that the defense has to account for him no matter the down and distance.  It opens up lots of options for the Chiefs' complicated offense.

Hill is the defense's worst nightmare.  Just being in motion draws an extra defenders attention.  Notice where the safety is playing with Hill in the lineup compared to where they did with Maclin.  Like Hunt, Hill opens up the play book even when the ball isn't coming his way.

Mahomes seems to have lighted a fire under Smith.  Maybe not the competition for the starting job, but just the creative throws while on the move and the deeper passes look more like we expect Mahomes to be than what Smith was in past seasons.

Reid has been exceptional.  He has brought in and used the tools to make this offense very hard to cover.  Those who think the Chiefs took a step backward when Maclin was let go just aren't paying attention.  They are making more first downs, more 20 yard plays, keeping the defenses off balance, and WINNING.  Injuries haven't killed the offense yet and the defense is making do without Berry.  Give credit to the coaching and planning.

a. Hunt

b. Hill

c. Mahomes

d. Reid

Hunt is such a threat to rip off a first down that the defense has to account for him no matter the down and distance.  It opens up lots of options for the Chiefs' complicated offense.

Hill is the defense's worst nightmare.  Just being in motion draws an extra defenders attention.  Notice where the safety is playing with Hill in the lineup compared to where they did with Maclin.  Like Hunt, Hill opens up the play book even when the ball isn't coming his way.

Mahomes seems to have lighted a fire under Smith.  Maybe not the competition for the starting job, but just the creative throws while on the move and the deeper passes look more like we expect Mahomes to be than what Smith was in past seasons.

Reid has been exceptional.  He has brought in and used the tools to make this offense very hard to cover.  Those who think the Chiefs took a step backward when Maclin was let go just aren't paying attention.  They are making more first downs, more 20 yard plays, keeping the defenses off balance, and WINNING.  Injuries haven't killed the offense yet and the defense is making do without Berry.  Give credit to the coaching and planning.

Great post Jet. Those winters in AZ are paying off!

Trent never had the plate of weapons Alex has been given by Dorsey over the last few years at the WR position.    Until this year, Alex just didn't take full advantage of the weapons around him.   For whatever reason, Mahomes/F-it, New Contract, this year he's using the full plate and not limiting them.   If Alex consistently played like this years ago, there would have been no call to replace him, no trade up for Mahomes.   

Now, he's playing for his next mega contract, and hopefully a nice high pick for us.  

Lenny was an all time great, in a different era.   But in his era, he had the highest QB rating for quite a few years after he was gone, until he was finally surpassed as the game changed.  

a. Hunt

b. Hill

c. Mahomes

d. Reid

Tim Grunhard said today that after breaking down film of every game that Andy Reid is "putting on a coaching clinic" and has several plays he's used every week where he has just toyed with the opposing defenses. Andy's been the best coach in the NFL this season as he finally has a RB that can make plays again to make the whole thing work. 

Trent never had the plate of weapons Alex has been given by Dorsey over the last few years at the WR position. Until this year, Alex just didn't take full advantage of the weapons around him. For whatever reason, Mahomes/F-it, New Contract, this year he's using the full plate and not limiting them. If Alex consistently played like this years ago, there would have been no call to replace him, no trade up for Mahomes.

Now, he's playing for his next mega contract, and hopefully a nice high pick for us.

Lenny was an all time great, in a different era. But in his era, he had the highest QB rating for quite a few years after he was gone, until he was finally surpassed as the game changed.

No doubt at all that Trent was surrounded by a lot more offensiive talent cor most of his starts than Alex has. Not even debatable. Key this year is we finally have players other teams must account at both RB and WR for the first time in the Andy Reid era.

No doubt at all that Trent was surrounded by a lot more offensiive talent cor most of his starts than Alex has. Not even debatable.

I didn’t really get this either, having 3 hall of famers around you usually means you have a lot more offensive talent around you than a lot of QB’s

I didn’t really get this either, having 3 hall of famers around you usually means you have a lot more offensive talent around you than a lot of QB’s

3 Hall of Famers, elite RBs, 1,000 yard WRs and a Pro Bowl guard and fullback. That team was so loaded with veteran offensive talent it had nothing left to pay the defense. Meanwhile we had the absolute worst WR group in the NFL in 2014 and have had average RBs and WRs the last two seasons. Finally this year we have good tackles, TE, and emerging star at WR and RB. Alex is having a lot more success partly on his own, but mainly because the talent around him is the best we've had since that Vermeil era.

I'm talking about WR, not the OL that Trent had.  Trent never had the skill position weapons Alex had last year and this year.   The best WR Trent ever had was Eddie Kennison.  Eddie was a nice player.   Eddie wouldn't make the Chiefs WR's roster of the last couple of years.  Trent had Dante Hall as a regular WR for a few years.  I loved Dante, but as a WR, he's not as good as DAT, and DAT doesn't get much playing time.  Alex had weapons, but until this year, for whatever reason he limited them.  This year he's using them.  It's good to see, and I hope it continues.  

Not sure how any of you are forgetting Tony G, not that it matters because Smith is clearly the more successful Chief QB than Trent was. And I'm not taking anything away from that offense Trent ran, but they didn't win a playoff game. The defense was absent

Not forgetting Tony G at all.  He was a fantastic TE.  So is Kelce.  My OP was talking about WR's.  Alex has had better WR's than Trent.  Until this year, he did not use them to the best of their ability.  Trent got every ounce out of the limited talent he had at WR.    

I'm talking about WR, not the OL that Trent had.  Trent never had the skill position weapons Alex had last year and this year.   The best WR Trent ever had was Eddie Kennison.  Eddie was a nice player.   Eddie wouldn't make the Chiefs WR's roster of the last couple of years.  Trent had Dante Hall as a regular WR for a few years.  I loved Dante, but as a WR, he's not as good as DAT, and DAT doesn't get much playing time.  Alex had weapons, but until this year, for whatever reason he limited them.  This year he's using them.  It's good to see, and I hope it continues.

Kennison wouldn't make this roster? That's not serious I hope. In 5 full seasons here he averaged 961 yards per season. He was more than just nice. He ran good routes, had good hands and was a solid NFL receiver. Prior to coming here, he had a 900 yard season with the Rams and an 800 plus yard season with the Saints. Meanwhile, we are left wondering how to replace Chris Conley.

And Dante is not as good of a wide receiver as DAT? DAT has 353 yards receiving in 3 plus years. Literally 3 percent of his entire career happened on his 10 yard touchdown. While Dante was for sure not a pure wide receiver, he was damn sure better at it than DAT has been so far.

Toss in Tony G., Priest Holmes, and possibly the best offensive line ever assembled and it gets to be pretty hard to compare the two quarterbacks.

I like this team better than the DV teams. It was just too much hype on one side of the ball. It was fun, but like someone mentioned they never won a playoff game and only got to the playoffs once.

While not perfect, I feel like this team can go toe to toe with any team in the league.

I agree that this team has better balance between offense & defense contrasted to the DV teams. That is why I believe this team is the real deal & #ChiefsKingdom will be happily surprised during the playoffs. As long as we can take care of business & remain healthy. Ford coming back will help as well.

Archived