Alex "F It" Smith

I like this team better than the DV teams. It was just too much hype on one side of the ball. It was fun, but like someone mentioned they never won a playoff game and only got to the playoffs once.

While not perfect, I feel like this team can go toe to toe with any team in the league.

Well if we beat Pittsburgh we will have beaten NE, Philly, Steelers and Houston. Teams that were either picked to win their division or are currently doing well like Philly with 1 loss just to us. We take care of business in our division and sweep again...well even more wins against teams picked to do well with Denver and some saying Oakland about would win this division. Funny, I don't think anyone talked about KC doing this well at the beginning of the season, hell they were talking undefeated NE with all their FA pick ups etc....we put that to rest game 1 and we see again just how FA does not always work.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm talking about WR, not the OL that Trent had. Trent never had the skill position weapons Alex had last year and this year. The best WR Trent ever had was Eddie Kennison. Eddie was a nice player. Eddie wouldn't make the Chiefs WR's roster of the last couple of years. Trent had Dante Hall as a regular WR for a few years. I loved Dante, but as a WR, he's not as good as DAT, and DAT doesn't get much playing time. Alex had weapons, but until this year, for whatever reason he limited them. This year he's using them. It's good to see, and I hope it continues.

Johnny Morton would absolutely start over any WR on this roster not named Tyreek. Sammie Parker was a faster version of Albert Wilson. Dante Hall is a more polished version of DA Thomas. IWe've got a roster full of system type guys who wouldn't start anywhere in the league outside of KC outside of Tyreek.

Not forgetting Tony G at all. He was a fantastic TE. So is Kelce. My OP was talking about WR's. Alex has had better WR's than Trent. Until this year, he did not use them to the best of their ability. Trent got every ounce out of the limited talent he had at WR.

Think you need to look up kennison again. He would most definitely start and maybe even get more targets than hill at his current development level.

Think you need to look up kennison again. He would most definitely start and maybe even get more targets than hill at his current development level.

No doubt plain laughable statement. Kennison and Morton were both first round draft picks who had multiple 1,000 yard seasons and were paid big money by this franchise. Meanwhile we've got a roster full of WRs drafted in the late rounds or not at all and making near league minimum. And Alex is making it work largely because Tyreek commands so much respect.

Morton was 31 and done by the time he got here.  Nice WR in Detroit, done when he came to KC.  Kennison was cut by multiple teams before coming to KC and  getting resurrected late in his career.   Dorsey would not have signed Morton, and Kennison, if he made the team, would be behind Chesson.   And I liked Eddie, but the WR's on this team have been talented, but limited by the QB until this year.  

Morton was 31 and done by the time he got here. Nice WR in Detroit, done when he came to KC. Kennison was cut by multiple teams before coming to KC and getting resurrected late in his career. Dorsey would not have signed Morton, and Kennison, if he made the team, would be behind Chesson. And I liked Eddie, but the WR's on this team have been talented, but limited by the QB until this year.

LOL. Morton came to KC off a career best 77 catch, 1154 yard season. This is as much pure comedy as when you said this time last year that Tyreek Hill would never be any more than a gadget player and never catch 70 plus passes. Or D Bowe would leave KC and become a Pro Bowler again with any other QB. To use the term from Rocky, when it comes to WR, "you ain't never been right." I'll give you the last word on the subject as this is too silly to even elaborate on. We spent much more to bring in guys who had and did produce more. That part is just obvious. No way any good GM would pay this much to load up on one side of the ball and leave nothing for the defense. You've got that part right. Our WR group are mostly serviceable backup types anywhere else, but the reality of being CAP poor now. System guys like this can work well enough if you have talent around them and a good QB. That's where we are. One high level developing star in Tyreek and system guys elsewhere. Good news is that this makes it an easier task to replace a starter who averages 2 catches, 30 yards per game.

LOL. Morton came to KC off a career best 77 catch, 1154 yard season. This is as much pure comedy as when you said this time last year that Tyreek Hill would never be any more than a gadget player and never catch 70 plus passes. Or D Bowe would leave KC and become a Pro Bowler again with any other QB. To use the term from Rocky, when it comes to WR, "you ain't never been right." I'll give you the last word on the subject as this is too silly to even elaborate on. We spent much more to bring in guys who had and did produce more. That part is just obvious. No way any good GM would pay this much to load up on one side of the ball and leave nothing for the defense. You've got that part right. Our WR group are mostly serviceable backup types anywhere else, but the reality of being CAP poor now. System guys like this can work well enough if you have talent around them and a good QB. That's where we are. One high level developing star in Tyreek and system guys elsewhere. Good news is that this makes it an easier task to replace a starter who averages 2 catches, 30 yards per game.

It's nice to see you lie and misquote in here just like you did in the other place.  What I said is Tyreek won't be Antonio Brown.   And he won't be.  He is a gadget player, and a great one.  I never said Bowe would become an All Pro again with any other QB.  You are truly pathetic, but I guess you still are butthurt by getting exposed for all your anti Dorsey garbage, just days after you said you gave up your season tickets because he was fired.  What a joke you became when you had to switch to full homer mode.  What a joke you evidently still are.  Thought a new start might help you out, but I was wrong.  

Green vs Smith eras are way too different to compare. NFL is a passing league right now and it's getting easier to play QB every year when compared to a decade or multiple decades ago. Smith definitely has more talent around him but that still doesn't change the comparison as it's apples and oranges IMO. 

It's nice to see you lie and misquote in here just like you did in the other place.  What I said is Tyreek won't be Antonio Brown.   And he won't be.  He is a gadget player, and a great one.  I never said Bowe would become an All Pro again with any other QB.  You are truly pathetic, but I guess you still are butthurt by getting exposed for all your anti Dorsey garbage, just days after you said you gave up your season tickets because he was fired.  What a joke you became when you had to switch to full homer mode.  What a joke you evidently still are.  Thought a new start might help you out, but I was wrong.  

wow, going out on a limb saying Tyreek won't be the best WR in the NFL, lol

Back to the original point, obviously TG would be ahead of Kelce and Kennison would easily be a #2 here for us now.  Kennison had good years before he came to us, Dorsey would have not looked the other way just because he was cut by other teams, he didn't do that for guys like Mitchell and Ron Parker so that statement has no legs to stand on.  

Green vs Smith eras are way too different to compare. NFL is a passing league right now and it's getting easier to play QB every year when compared to a decade or multiple decades ago. Smith definitely has more talent around him but that still doesn't change the comparison as it's apples and oranges IMO.

I agree that it's different areas, but isn't the argument going on right now about the offensive talent around them? It doesn't sound like it's "definitely" more talented now according to others, cited by player's careers before and after coming here in the Green era. It sounds like it is a matter of opinion, not talking about whether they were maximized in their use before this year.

I agree that it's different areas, but isn't the argument going on right now about the offensive talent around them? It doesn't sound like it's "definitely" more talented now according to others, cited by player's careers before and after coming here in the Green era. It sounds like it is a matter of opinion, not talking about whether they were maximized in their use before this year.

I think it's pretty much the same in terms of offensive talent compared to the rest of the NFL. Green had a better OL and the best ever TE whereas Smith always seemed to have better WRs (not counting the 2nd season) and looks like the same level or RBs with this year being the best of the bunch. Back in Green's day decent receivers paired up with a solid running game was pretty much a great offense whereas the same ingredients don't make up the same output in today's NFL as passing game is easier due to the rules but also needed more throughout the game. 

The only difference maker would be the defensive talent which has always been far better in Smith's era and a major difference maker for offense as well. Tough to assess who had more offensive talent but I can only comment on the 52 other players in which case Smith always had more talent around him than Green and IMO it's not even close. Vermeil had a terrible defense.

I think it's pretty much the same in terms of offensive talent compared to the rest of the NFL. Green had a better OL and the best ever TE whereas Smith always seemed to have better WRs (not counting the 2nd season) and looks like the same level or RBs with this year being the best of the bunch. Back in Green's day decent receivers paired up with a solid running game was pretty much a great offense whereas the same ingredients don't make up the same output in today's NFL as passing game is easier due to the rules but also needed more throughout the game.

The only difference maker would be the defensive talent which has always been far better in Smith's era and a major difference maker for offense as well. Tough to assess who had more offensive talent but I can only comment on the 52 other players in which case Smith always had more talent around him than Green and IMO it's not even close. Vermeil had a terrible defense.

Defensive talent was maximized by being rested on long drives and being ahead (ability to be aggressive), but they were definitely more talented, of course.

The same level of running backs is a stretch in my very humble opinion. Smith Charles for two years basically. Then two years of West and Ware. And now 5 really good games from Hunt. From 01-06, Green had 5 of the best years a Chiefs running back ever had, and frankly at least three of those years compare favorably with the best season any NFL running back ever had.

The same level of running backs is a stretch in my very humble opinion. Smith Charles for two years basically. Then two years of West and Ware. And now 5 really good games from Hunt. From 01-06, Green had 5 of the best years a Chiefs running back ever had, and frankly at least three of those years compare favorably with the best season any NFL running back ever had.

Much of Charles' positive play in the 9-0 start was in the passing game. So that's good and he was a great runningback as well. But he was hurt for much of it and not used enough sometimes.

Much of Charles' positive play in the 9-0 start was in the passing game. So that's good and he was a great runningback as well. But he was hurt for much of it and not used enough sometimes.

As good as he was, he was never the running back that Priest Holmes was for us.

From 2001 to 2003, Priest averaged 2200 yards from scrimmage and 20 touchdowns a game. Jamaal never reached any of those heights. Maybe no running back in the history of the game has had a better 3 year stretch.

As good as he was, he was never the running back that Priest Holmes was for us.

From 2001 to 2003, Priest averaged 2200 yards from scrimmage and 20 touchdowns a game. Jamaal never reached any of those heights. Maybe no running back in the history of the game has had a better 3 year stretch.

20 touchdowns a game! Green's team wins the overall offensive talent. Just kidding, I know you meant 20 per season.

Don't know if Holmes is more talented than Charles as Charles is the all time leader in YPC but Holmes sure is my second favorite Chiefs RB of all time after Okoye. Besides Holmes there wasn't really much of a talent at RB but having a great OL makes up for it and made even LJ look great. 

A key point to consider for comparison is that Smith almost always had some major player on IR. Charles was out 1.5 years and Maclin was out basically half a year in total, OL consistently had an injury or two, etc.

I can't stand Larry Johnson, but he was great for whatever reason for 2 years. Definitely the offensive line was a big part of it. But he too had 20 touchdowns a game a 2150 yards from scrimmage for a couple years. You can't say besides Holmes there wasn't much talent when the top two rushing seasons belong to him.

And Charles was crazy talented. But he was not the complete running back that Holmes was in my opinion. And other than YPC, his numbers are not comparable to the ones Holmes put up for 3 years prior to his injury.

Trent had the best Oline in the league. The best FB, TE in the league and a top 5 RB. I can't compare the two players, but Trent was only 6 yards behind Manning for 2nd place over a three year period and that was Manning in his prime with great weapons. He did that with no name WRs.

Both have done a great job.

I can't stand Larry Johnson, but he was great for whatever reason for 2 years. Definitely the offensive line was a big part of it. But he too had 20 touchdowns a game a 2150 yards from scrimmage for a couple years. You can't say besides Holmes there wasn't much talent when the top two rushing seasons belong to him.

And Charles was crazy talented. But he was not the complete running back that Holmes was in my opinion. And other than YPC, his numbers are not comparable to the ones Holmes put up for 3 years prior to his injury.

Priest Holmes was incredible but imagine JC with that oline  that Priest had.

It's interesting to read this thread. I remember back in the DV years, we would debate and compare them to the Marty teams. That's just how it goes. What makes this time different for me is that there are no other teams comparable to what those Chiefs teams faced back then.

Both the DV and Marty teams had other teams that could compete very well than them, and gave them problems, the Broncos, Steelers and Bills come to mind (more the Broncos). The Steelers, Pats, and again the Broncos seem to be those teams in this era, but the Chiefs have already beat the Pats and the Broncos and Steelers don't scare me as much ( still scare me some). 

I used to hold back some of my feelings about the Chiefs, fearing I would jinx them. The reality is, they are either good enough or not, and me typing it on a internet forum will make no difference. I think this may be the year for the Chiefs to do something. 

The hard time I'm having is wondering how and when they will lose, and what weaknesses will be exposed, if any; and how they will overcome it.

Archived