Alex "F It" Smith

Smith is still Smith. The difference is a running back that teams fear and must scheme for, deep pass threat in Hill creates  more room for Kelce to operate and this creates better pass protection and thus time to throw. Better weapons, entire offense has familiarity with the system and time to throw.

There is no Smith 2.0 in my mind.  Nice story but its the entire team not a new Smith.

Mahommes will thrive in this situation. 

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I trend to disagree. Smith is in the running for MVP of the entire league.

Experience Matters in the NFL as Brady, Rogers, Wilson, Ryan and Brees show,

Chiefs are geared for a SB run and Smith is the Best QB to take the team there in the near term.

w

Smith is still Smith. The difference is a running back that teams fear and must scheme for, deep pass threat in Hill creates more room for Kelce to operate and this creates better pass protection and thus time to throw. Better weapons, entire offense has familiarity with the system and time to throw.

There is no Smith 2.0 in my mind. Nice story but its the entire team not a new Smith.

I agree with your last sentence, but Hill hasn't got any faster or any more open than last year and we missed him last year often enough. We haven't been missing him as much this year. Hunt is great, but it goes both ways. Smith has helped Hunt with presnap reads, looking for him more deeper, etc. Smith still has to hit him and Smith hasn't always hit anyone deep. He's done it occasionally but not this frequent. The numbers bear this out. He's not looking down as much, looking for those weapons you mentioned. The tools don't matter if you don't use them. They opened up shorter stuff for a bit but without pushing, it isn't maximized.

I'm a little bit upset because I feel that last year Smith could have done this. I have even said it here before and then, he didn't. Disappointing, but can't do anything about that now. Smith, keep using your weapons, looking up, etc.

I've never seen even once on this board that Smith play was better than what we expect Mahomes to later do. Some people have disagreed on whether Mahomes could do it right now or not, but this offense thriving under Reid and Mahomes talents isn't something one needs to preemptively defend. Some disagree on how much growing pains there will be with him, but the ceiling isn't refuted. I don't even think the expectation is refuted besides the standard statement that some people do fall short of lofty expectations (nothing to do with Mahomes specifically).

I agree with this.

"I'm a little bit upset because I feel that last year Smith could have done this. I have even said it here before and then, he didn't. Disappointing, but can't do anything about that now. Smith, keep using your weapons, looking up, etc."

But: Late last season this team could not run the ball well. Maclin was still a focus. Teams stacked the box. No time to pass. 

Thus dink and dunk. The key is TIME to get that deep pass downfield.

Yes. The difference isn't Smith, it's time. The line is improved but still struggles with the injuries. The true difference is Hunt. He is a beast who is seldom tackled by the first or second or third guy to get there hands on him. Usually he fights for at least 2 or 3 more yards than Ware did last year. That is a huge difference.

Yes. The difference isn't Smith, it's time. The line is improved but still struggles with the injuries. The true difference is Hunt. He is a beast who is seldom tackled by the first or second or third guy to get there hands on him. Usually he fights for at least 2 or 3 more yards than Ware did last year. That is a huge difference.

Just think when ware and hunt are both playing. Both guys are a load.

Smith is still Smith. The difference is a running back that teams fear and must scheme for, deep pass threat in Hill creates  more room for Kelce to operate and this creates better pass protection and thus time to throw. Better weapons, entire offense has familiarity with the system and time to throw.

There is no Smith 2.0 in my mind.  Nice story but its the entire team not a new Smith.

The team sure isn't Smith. The thing is we already knew Smith was capable of such throws but he wasn't mentally good enough to make those. This year his football IQ seems a lot higher, could be the pressure of the contract/trade year, which is making a big difference. Hunt's presence helps a lot but the Chiefs weren't as creative on offense with a RB like Charles on the roster. 

The current offense is a mixture of things going very well and the fact that it's producing with such a terrible line is also a big plus as it could get better down the road. However I don't think it's the same Smith but rather a mentally free version of Smith who's very different than the scared guy we have been watching prior to this season.

Smith is still Smith. The difference is a running back that teams fear and must scheme for, deep pass threat in Hill creates more room for Kelce to operate and this creates better pass protection and thus time to throw. Better weapons, entire offense has familiarity with the system and time to throw.

There is no Smith 2.0 in my mind. Nice story but its the entire team not a new Smith.

The Chiefs had 2 good seasons with Charles at RB and teams game planned for Charles. No different than Hunt. The Chiefs have better pass catchers now. Smith is statistically throwing more passes deep AND connecting. That's fact. So how is he not playing different? Yes he still throws shallow routes. But he is looking down field more and also doing so on the run. He's using his legs to set up the pass more often. We have not seen Smith consistently do this in any of his previous seasons.

Except that all of his passing stats completely prove otherwise.

uh oh, people disagreeing with DBG and getting attacked for doing so?  lol

since Reid and Smith got here, this is by far the most talent they've had on offense.

When I get attacked, misquoted, and lied about, I attack back.  Sorry Homer.  

My apologies DaBlue. Fair game to tear apart the idea our WRs have been better with Smith than Trent. But i inflamed situation by going beyond that and shouldn't have. This was my fault. Still crazy to think that Wilson, Conley are in the same league with Kennison or Morton but Ive said my peace. I'll try to stick to debating my points with facts and not trying to point out things not relevant to that.

Classy post.  I'll accept the apology.  

When I get attacked, misquoted, and lied about, I attack back.  Sorry Homer.  

your idealogy on the Chiefs is 1-5 this year.

Congrats on being right today.  I know this loss is exactly what you wanted.

"Chiefs Fan"

Missed quite a few throws.

It was the ideal situation where smith could put down all the naysayers and put together an ending where he could be the hero because other things weren’t working and he kept missing throws. The Steelers defense made mistakes at the end that an elite qb exploits and wins a game that the other team dominated. I think today simply cemented what we already know, that smith can look good when things are going great, but when the chips are down and the team needs the qb to take them team on it’s back , he gets erratic. He’s a good qb, not a great one, and not one that in the 4th quarter of the afc title game that makes you think that he’s gonna engineer a td drive inside of two minutes. Take this season for what it is and have fun with it, but Smith isn’t delivering a super bowl.

It was the ideal situation where smith could put down all the naysayers and put together an ending where he could be the hero because other things weren’t working and he kept missing throws. The Steelers defense made mistakes at the end that an elite qb exploits and wins a game that the other team dominated. I think today simply cemented what we already know, that smith can look good when things are going great, but when the chips are down and the team needs the qb to take them team on it’s back , he gets erratic. He’s a good qb, not a great one, and not one that in the 4th quarter of the afc title game that makes you think that he’s gonna engineer a td drive inside of two minutes. Take this season for what it is and have fun with it, but Smith isn’t delivering a super bowl.

EXACTLY. We saw what Rodgers did at Dallas. His team let in a late TD with just over a minute left and that was all he needed to get the job done. Smith is a good guy and a decent qb. But if we want that big trophy we better pray that Mahomes is as good as advertised. 

Smith finished this game without his WR1, WR2, or WR3. His TE1 didn't practice for much of the week because of the concussion protocol.

Let that sink in for a minute.

But a good qb learns how to adapt. And I  also think those facts you stated excuses him from missing guys who were wide open tbh.

Archived