Alex "F It" Smith

But TOP is going to be lopsided when your offense can't stay on the field.  When you continually go 3 and out,  you're going to be on the wrong end of TOP, especially if the other team has a pulse at RB.  If the offense puts together 3-4 first downs in the first half, TOP is suddenly 31-29 in favor of Pitt.  At this point I'm not even talking specifically about Alex, but the offense as a whole.  When you go nearly an entire half without generating a first down offensively, you can't blame the defense for TOP.  It wasn't until the 5th possession of the first half that the offense finally got a first down.  We averaged less than 2 minutes per possession in the first half.

But again our offense only had one possession in the first quarter and the defense was the field for over 13 minutes in only two possessions. That makes things really though both as the defense gets gassed and the offense can't get any rhythm going. We REALLY needed to commit to running the football but the banged up oline just wasn't getting it done. I'm still amazed we had a very legit chance to win that game in the 4th quarter. All in all this was a game we just laid an egg. Fluke safety on unforced error, missed tackles everywhere, errant passes. Just gotta shake it off quickly. Again ive got to think Oakland wants to take a cue from Pitt and play some smashmouth play action type of football on the Thursday. We may need that 11 day break between these games to fix some of this stuff as teams adjust to outflank our strengths. 

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But again our offense only had one possession in the first quarter and the defense was the field for over 13 minutes in only two possessions. That makes things really though both as the defense gets gassed and the offense can't get any rhythm going. We REALLY needed to commit to running the football but the banged up oline just wasn't getting it done. I'm still amazed we had a very legit chance to win that game in the 4th quarter. All in all this was a game we just laid an egg. Fluke safety on unforced error, missed tackles everywhere, errant passes. Just gotta shake it off quickly. Again ive got to think Oakland wants to take a cue from Pitt and play some smashmouth play action type of football on the Thursday. 

We had two possessions.  We gave up the safety after the punt, then we recovered the free kick to get our second possession and the field goal.  If either of those possessions result in even just 1 or 2 first days, TOP changes drastically. 

We had two possessions.  We gave up the safety after the punt, then we recovered the free kick to get our second possession and the field goal.  If either of those possessions result in even just 1 or 2 first days, TOP changes drastically. 

True there were two although the completely unforced fluke fumbled snap really doesn't count as one with me. But again the defense gives up back to back 6 plus minute drives. That can't happen. Yes even 1-2 first downs would have certainly helped but not that much. Youve got to get yourself off the field. Giving up 170 yards on the ground in 5 yard chunks, is going to get you beat 99 percent of the time.

We beat up Houston by being lethal on 3rd down and controlling the clock as well. And as we dominated TOP offensively in the first half, their offense could do almost nothing. They settled in and started moving the ball with more 2nd half possessions. Just the reality of offense. A lot of times you need to get some possessions to get things going at all. 

But TOP is going to be lopsided when your offense can't stay on the field.  When you continually go 3 and out,  you're going to be on the wrong end of TOP, especially if the other team has a pulse at RB.  If the offense puts together 3-4 first downs in the first half, TOP is suddenly 31-29 in favor of Pitt.  At this point I'm not even talking specifically about Alex, but the offense as a whole.  When you go nearly an entire half without generating a first down offensively, you can't blame the defense for TOP.  It wasn't until the 5th possession of the first half that the offense finally got a first down.  We averaged less than 2 minutes per possession in the first half.

I don't necessarily disagree in that both sides of the team need to do better, but even if the offense is struggling, it shouldn't be a free pass that the defense was getting walked on.

In the first 6 games the offense has had 1 bad game while the defense has been a problem in pretty much all of them, arguably not the SD game.

There are words for the offensive linemen. Terrible, inexcusable performance, backups notwithstanding.

You don't like how Smith plays the pocket behind this line? Maybe you wish Brett Hundley was your quarterback.

The oline was physically beat up and its no doubt a big reason Alex struggled. But he also had a lot of trouble with the windy conditions. In any case we can't get to the break fast enough to regroup the oline in earnest.

The Chiefs offense promptly gave away 2 points

No, Zach Fulton did. He was literally the only one to handle the ball that play, unless you count Smith's tip of the ball as it sailed over his shoulder more than six feet above the field.

Sometimes an individual player does much to ruin a salvageable performance.

There are words for the offensive linemen. Terrible, inexcusable performance, backups notwithstanding.

You don't like how Smith plays the pocket behind this line? Maybe you wish Brett Hundley was your quarterback.

Not sure if Hundley & Smith duo is mutually exclusive but I doubt anyone was happy with Smith's performance against the Steelers. 

This game was different.  This was the it moment where he had to be the guy.  He had the advantage of being on his home turf with the stars aligned perfectly to be the hero, and he missed open receivers on multiple occasions.  The reason this was different is because Pitt is a physical playoff team, a team that has beat up on us in the playoffs in the past.  It's the caliber of opponent combined with style of play.  These are games that are part of getting over the proverbial hump.  The Steelers are likely the best team in the AFC, and they are a class above beating the likes of Denver/Oak and a SD team that can hope for being nothing more than a spoiler.  This was about taking the next step. 

So beating the Patriots on the road for the first time in years wasn't getting over the "proverbial hump"? They are the defending Super Bowl Champions. Beating the Eagles who are also 5-1 and the favorite in the NFC wasn't getting over the "proverbial hump?" How about the Washington Redskins? The Houston Texans? They lost 1 game out of 5 that are against playoff caliber teams. They are 4-1 against playoff caliber teams. You brush all of those wins under the rug simply because the Chiefs lost to the Steelers.

Here's my opinion. The Steelers are simply put... the worst match up for the Chiefs. Their style of play exploits all of the Chiefs weaknesses. The Steelers are NOT the best team in the AFC. They simply are a match up problems for the Chiefs. Bell has rushed for over 300 yards in the last 2 meetings. That is UNACCEPTABLE!  Their D line simply man handles the Chiefs O line. Its pathetic. And yes Alex Smith doesn't play well enough against the Steelers. He sucks against them. He shows up for a few plays to make it a game at the end of the games which isn't good enough. But that is hardly an indictment that he can't win in the playoffs. The Chiefs suck against the Steelers. They have zero running game against the Steelers. I have confidence they can beat any team in the playoffs except the Steelers. Its a HUGE match up issue. Its not simply because Alex Smith isn't good enough. Until the Chiefs can learn to beat the Steelers defensive scheme and the Chiefs defense can stop Bell, they won't beat the Steelers. 

For all of this blame we want to place at Alex Smith's feet we often forget that even elite QB's don't have a high winning percentage when trying to come back to win the game in the 4th quarter. Someone posted a link to such obscure stats last season and Russell Wilson, who I don't think is elite, actually has a very high number of come from behind wins. Is Wilson a better QB than Brady, Peyton Manning, Rodgers, simply because he has a bunch of come from behind wins? Not saying you, but I feel like too often people over simplify winning and losing. Winning and losing is because of an accumulation of a series of plays that succeeded or didn't succeed. Its easy to point to one play and place blame, but for every play you can point at Alex Smith I can just as easily point to a play another player didn't make that could have changed the outcome of the game. Hello Harris who didn't catch the contested pass from Alex Smith on 4th and goal. You would think if that were a touchdown it changes how the Steelers play the rest of the game. If he makes that catch we would be talking about how Alex Smith stepped up when the game was on the line and made great throws after a horrible game. One play, and I'm sure someone can point to a missed throw by Smith for why the Chiefs loss. Playoff loss last year the Chiefs tie the game on a 2 point conversion only to have the score taken away because of a BS holding call on the opposite side of the line. How was that Smith's fault despite the fact he stepped up when it mattered? 

4-1 against playoff caliber teams to start the 2017 season, I think Smith is playing good enough. He had one bad game just like the rest of the Chiefs.

Neither me or Hundley are responsible for Smith missing wide open receivers.

So beating the Patriots on the road for the first time in years wasn't getting over the "proverbial hump"? They are the defending Super Bowl Champions. Beating the Eagles who are also 5-1 and the favorite in the NFC wasn't getting over the "proverbial hump?" How about the Washington Redskins? The Houston Texans? They lost 1 game out of 5 that are against playoff caliber teams. They are 4-1 against playoff caliber teams. You brush all of those wins under the rug simply because the Chiefs lost to the Steelers.

Here's my opinion. The Steelers are simply put... the worst match up for the Chiefs. Their style of play exploits all of the Chiefs weaknesses. The Steelers are NOT the best team in the AFC. They simply are a match up problems for the Chiefs. Bell has rushed for over 300 yards in the last 2 meetings. That is UNACCEPTABLE!  Their D line simply man handles the Chiefs O line. Its pathetic. And yes Alex Smith doesn't play well enough against the Steelers. He sucks against them. He shows up for a few plays to make it a game at the end of the games which isn't good enough. But that is hardly an indictment that he can't win in the playoffs. The Chiefs suck against the Steelers. They have zero running game against the Steelers. I have confidence they can beat any team in the playoffs except the Steelers. Its a HUGE match up issue. Its not simply because Alex Smith isn't good enough. Until the Chiefs can learn to beat the Steelers defensive scheme and the Chiefs defense can stop Bell, they won't beat the Steelers. 

For all of this blame we want to place at Alex Smith's feet we often forget that even elite QB's don't have a high winning percentage when trying to come back to win the game in the 4th quarter. Someone posted a link to such obscure stats last season and Russell Wilson, who I don't think is elite, actually has a very high number of come from behind wins. Is Wilson a better QB than Brady, Peyton Manning, Rodgers, simply because he has a bunch of come from behind wins? Not saying you, but I feel like too often people over simplify winning and losing. Winning and losing is because of an accumulation of a series of plays that succeeded or didn't succeed. Its easy to point to one play and place blame, but for every play you can point at Alex Smith I can just as easily point to a play another player didn't make that could have changed the outcome of the game. Hello Harris who didn't catch the contested pass from Alex Smith on 4th and goal. You would think if that were a touchdown it changes how the Steelers play the rest of the game. If he makes that catch we would be talking about how Alex Smith stepped up when the game was on the line and made great throws after a horrible game. One play, and I'm sure someone can point to a missed throw by Smith for why the Chiefs loss. Playoff loss last year the Chiefs tie the game on a 2 point conversion only to have the score taken away because of a BS holding call on the opposite side of the line. How was that Smith's fault despite the fact he stepped up when it mattered? 

4-1 against playoff caliber teams to start the 2017 season, I think Smith is playing good enough. He had one bad game just like the rest of the Chiefs.

NE's defense is bad.  They might not even make the playoffs.  

Washington and Philly are good, but they aren't on the same level as Pitt.  Pitt is a team we'll likely see in the playoffs, and a team that's knocked us out of the playoffs more than once.  If we do see Pitt in the playoffs, we'll be exiting again.  This team just can't take out the tough, physical teams, and all of the teams we've beaten to this point were more finesse than tough, none of them were on the level of Pitt.  

Smith missed nearly everything he tried to push down the field.  If he had stepped up when it mattered, he wouldn't have missed multiple throws that could have changed the outcome of the game.

The TD pass to Harris, I'd hardly call that a drop.  It was great defense in a congested space, not a pass that hit an open receiver in the hands and he just dropped it.  Part of what has plagued this team in terms of redzone offense in past years is that we get two yards out and the secondary is all jumbled within 15 yards of the LOS and Reid falls in love with the pass.  He did it Sunday, he did it last year, and in years prior to that.  

NE's defense is bad.  They might not even make the playoffs.  

Washington and Philly are good, but they aren't on the same level as Pitt.  Pitt is a team we'll likely see in the playoffs, and a team that's knocked us out of the playoffs more than once.  If we do see Pitt in the playoffs, we'll be exiting again.  This team just can't take out the tough, physical teams, and all of the teams we've beaten to this point were more finesse than tough, none of them were on the level of Pitt.  

Smith missed nearly everything he tried to push down the field.  If he had stepped up when it mattered, he wouldn't have missed multiple throws that could have changed the outcome of the game.

The TD pass to Harris, I'd hardly call that a drop.  It was great defense in a congested space, not a pass that hit an open receiver in the hands and he just dropped it.  Part of what has plagued this team in terms of redzone offense in past years is that we get two yards out and the secondary is all jumbled within 15 yards of the LOS and Reid falls in love with the pass.  He did it Sunday, he did it last year, and in years prior to that.  

Look I'm as down on the performance as everyone else, but let's not get too carried away here. The last two games they've won by two and six points, and on both occasions they got away with lucky calls when we caught balls in the N-zone. IF we have a healthy side in the playoff game, and Reid/Sutton can mix it up a little, then I see no reason at all why we can't beat them. Chicago beat them FFS, it's not like it's impossible.

Look I'm as down on the performance as everyone else, but let's not get too carried away here. The last two games they've won by two and six points, and on both occasions they got away with lucky calls when we caught balls in the N-zone. IF we have a healthy side in the playoff game, and Reid/Sutton can mix it up a little, then I see no reason at all why we can't beat them. Chicago beat them FFS, it's not like it's impossible.

They've pretty well dominated us 3 times in less than a calendar year.  

But TOP is going to be lopsided when your offense can't stay on the field. When you continually go 3 and out, you're going to be on the wrong end of TOP, especially if the other team has a pulse at RB. If the offense puts together 3-4 first downs in the first half, TOP is suddenly 31-29 in favor of Pitt. At this point I'm not even talking specifically about Alex, but the offense as a whole. When you go nearly an entire half without generating a first down offensively, you can't blame the defense for TOP. It wasn't until the 5th possession of the first half that the offense finally got a first down. We averaged less than 2 minutes per possession in the first half.

True. And Smith and Ben don't matter. If you can't run the ball and you can't stop the run, all you have is a sluggers chance to run back a couple picks or punts.

Wasn't enough but this was stepping up when it mattered: https://twitter.com/intent/retweet?tweet_id=919950815615504386&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-41214576682394894171.ampproject.net%2F1507083985898%2Fframe.html&original_referer=https%3A%2F%2Fd-41214576682394894171.ampproject.net%2F1507083985898%2Fframe.html&tw_i=919950815615504386&tw_p=tweetembed

(No, I'm not saying it was MVP.)

And if they call that Harris pass a TD, we'd be looking at things differently. Smith does and did miss, we will have a different QB soon who can and will hit them (and miss a few, too), but it wasn't absent stepping up when it mattered if the way it sounds. Not blaming Harris, but if he turned the other way, it's a TD. (Yes, if Smith passes the ball to Robinson better, it's a TD as well. Yards, yards, yada, this game had good, bad, and ugly from all phases.)

They've pretty well dominated us 3 times in less than a calendar year.  

The game at their place was riddled with mistakes. The last two games at Arrowhead our offence never really got going but yet we've come within a whisker of winning both games? I don't think the issues are as deep as people think. Take Bell out the game and half of the job is done. Even on Sunday if Alex would have seen Robinson free as a bird twice then again the result could have been different. 

Neither me or Hundley are responsible for Smith missing wide open receivers.

You missed my point. Aaron Rodgers is out for most of the season with a broken collarbone because his offensive line didn't do its job. Smith's isn't doing their job either, and you're obviously missing Smith's hero plays among the plays you disapprove of. The important thing is that Smith lived to play another down, and three starting-caliber interior offensive linemen have had another week to heal. Meanwhile, the Packers are done.

Smith's been making lemonade out of lemons for weeks now. Everyone around him played badly, but you singled him out. In case you missed it, the Packers lost their entire season because their quarterback did exactly what you expect Smith to do.

Over reaction is the way of the internet.

Seriously, what am I missing on Harris?

This guy is the absolute king of "Not making a play"...

w

Even when he does make a play, he doesn't.

KC 18 16, PIT 18

He's actually started 27 games, more than Albert Wilson, and yet he's produced 263 yards. Not even 10 yards a game. I really don't know what he does.

Even when he does make a play, he doesn't.

KC 18 16, PIT 18

He's actually started 27 games, more than Albert Wilson, and yet he's produced 263 yards. Not even 10 yards a game. I really don't know what he does.

He's more of a good run blocker if anything and a big target in the redzone.

You missed my point. Aaron Rodgers is out for most of the season with a broken collarbone because his offensive line didn't do its job. Smith's isn't doing their job either, and you're obviously missing Smith's hero plays among the plays you disapprove of. The important thing is that Smith lived to play another down, and three starting-caliber interior offensive linemen have had another week to heal. Meanwhile, the Packers are done.

Smith's been making lemonade out of lemons for weeks now. Everyone around him played badly, but you singled him out. In case you missed it, the Packers lost their entire season because their quarterback did exactly what you expect Smith to do.

He absolutely has been playing behind a beat up oline, especially after we lost Morse and LDT and playing at an elite level on top of that, but he himself would tell you the two throws that he missed at the end of the game were huge, the first one over the middle where he sailed it over the WR's head after Shazier went to the outside and our guy went to the inside might have been a TD.  Then the obvious TD miss that again sailed over his head, those were huge and that can't be blamed on anyone else but Smith.  Smith also doesn't get a pass....

This game was different.  This was the it moment where he had to be the guy.  He had the advantage of being on his home turf with the stars aligned perfectly to be the hero, and he missed open receivers on multiple occasions.  The reason this was different is because Pitt is a physical playoff team, a team that has beat up on us in the playoffs in the past.  It's the caliber of opponent combined with style of play.  These are games that are part of getting over the proverbial hump.  The Steelers are likely the best team in the AFC, and they are a class above beating the likes of Denver/Oak and a SD team that can hope for being nothing more than a spoiler.  This was about taking the next step. 

Not that it matters but I disagree.  Coming back on the road on sunday night primetime against the defending super bowl champions who have one of the top defenses we've seen in our lifetime will trump any regular season comeback that Smith can pull off.  Beating the Steelers would be nice, but it doesn't trump a division rival who's won a superbowl more recently than those clowns.

Archived