Alex "F It" Smith

NE's defense is bad.  They might not even make the playoffs.  

Washington and Philly are good, but they aren't on the same level as Pitt.  Pitt is a team we'll likely see in the playoffs, and a team that's knocked us out of the playoffs more than once.  If we do see Pitt in the playoffs, we'll be exiting again.  This team just can't take out the tough, physical teams, and all of the teams we've beaten to this point were more finesse than tough, none of them were on the level of Pitt.  

Smith missed nearly everything he tried to push down the field.  If he had stepped up when it mattered, he wouldn't have missed multiple throws that could have changed the outcome of the game.

The TD pass to Harris, I'd hardly call that a drop.  It was great defense in a congested space, not a pass that hit an open receiver in the hands and he just dropped it.  Part of what has plagued this team in terms of redzone offense in past years is that we get two yards out and the secondary is all jumbled within 15 yards of the LOS and Reid falls in love with the pass.  He did it Sunday, he did it last year, and in years prior to that.  

I respect your opinion but I think I'm right. I had a post all typed out last night to respond and I deleted it because I knew I wasn't changing your outlook. But then I read this article this morning and pretty thought it echoed my thoughts quite well. I'll take the word of two HOF players over yours any day. http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/for-petes-sake/article179261531.html

The Steelers are not the cream of the crop. They have 1 win in 2017 against a playoff caliber team. They are 2-2 against mediocre teams. They are 3-3 in the playoffs since 2014, and their 2 losses were against "power house" teams and both were a blow out. The other loss was a close one to the Broncos. They beat the Dolphins for one playoff win, they beat the Chiefs, and they beat the Bengals.  Of the 3 teams they beat in the playoffs the Chiefs were the best team they've beat in the playoffs. I do not think they are the best team in the AFC like yourself. I think you are judging the 2017 Steelers based on their success over the past decade. Unfortunately, that success was mostly toward the beginning half of the past decade. They are a team on the decline in my opinion compared to other AFC teams and until they have a replacement for Big Ben I don't see that changing.

As I said before, the Steelers are simply a match up issue when it comes to the Chiefs. The Steelers could be 8-8 and miss the playoffs and the Chiefs could go 15-1 and be a first seed in the playoffs. That loss would be against the Steelers. That team has the Chiefs number. They know how to play against Andy Reid and Bob Sutton. They have the personnel to exploit the Chiefs weaknesses. Again, for the dozenth time, the Steelers and Chiefs games comes down to a match up issue.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol @ Patriots possibly not making the playoffs.

Moonshot has his agenda rolling and all bets are off. 

Agenda my ass.  I call it as I see it.  You have a history of jumping all over people who aren't all sunshine and rainbows.  I feel confident that I have been more than objective in any analysis/opinion I have shared.  

The Pats are dead last against the pass, and only the Colts and Titans have given up more points.  They have a stretch after the bye week where they play 5 of 6 games on the road.  The thought that the Patriots are a lock for the playoffs with those factors is laughable.  Also, 2 of the top 3 defenses in the NFL reside in their division, and they have yet to play either.  This is the most likely year in a long time that the Pats can be unseated in the east

Agenda my ass.  I call it as I see it.  You have a history of jumping all over people who aren't all sunshine and rainbows.  I feel confident that I have been more than objective in any analysis/opinion I have shared.  

The Pats are dead last against the pass, and only the Colts and Titans have given up more points.  They have a stretch after the bye week where they play 5 of 6 games on the road.  The thought that the Patriots are a lock for the playoffs with those factors is laughable.  Also, 2 of the top 3 defenses in the NFL reside in their division, and they have yet to play either.  This is the most likely year in a long time that the Pats can be unseated in the east

I wasn't jumping your ass.  I laughed at what you said and stated you were sticking to your agenda/opinion no matter what.  I'm not stating anything outlandish here.

The facts are we are 5-1 against the toughest schedule in the league and all 6 games we faced a legit QB. 

If you're really going to try and say the Patriots suck and won't make the playoffs to back up your Alex Smith opinion, history itself is going to prove you wrong.

The Pats are 1 to 15 to win their division.   They will make the playoffs easily.  You could make nice money betting against them to make the playoffs by not winning their division. NFL AFC EAST DIVISION

AFC East Division - Odds to Win - December 31, 2017 13:00 EST
Selection
Odds
Patriots
Bills
Dolphins
Jets

He absolutely has been playing behind a beat up oline, especially after we lost Morse and LDT and playing at an elite level on top of that, but he himself would tell you the two throws that he missed at the end of the game were huge, the first one over the middle where he sailed it over the WR's head after Shazier went to the outside and our guy went to the inside might have been a TD. Then the obvious TD miss that again sailed over his head, those were huge and that can't be blamed on anyone else but Smith. Smith also doesn't get a pass....

LDT was playing elite. That guy is going to be an elite guard going forward in this league.

You missed my point. Aaron Rodgers is out for most of the season with a broken collarbone because his offensive line didn't do its job. Smith's isn't doing their job either, and you're obviously missing Smith's hero plays among the plays you disapprove of. The important thing is that Smith lived to play another down, and three starting-caliber interior offensive linemen have had another week to heal. Meanwhile, the Packers are done.

Smith's been making lemonade out of lemons for weeks now. Everyone around him played badly, but you singled him out. In case you missed it, the Packers lost their entire season because their quarterback did exactly what you expect Smith to do.

Let me see if I got this; Alex overthrows his receivers so the big, mean football men won't break his bones?

Your point is lost on your incessant references to GB and Rodgers. Making lemonade out of lemons is in the job description. When he does it, I praise him. Missing wide-the-fuck open receivers is pinching off a turd in said lemonade which I will refuse to drink. But hey, if you're into it...

LDT at the time when signed, I saw a lot of head scratching going on for the price signed. Thing is, they jumped ahead of the market and saw what we had in him. A few weeks later you had G's signing for exponentially much more than LDT and we see just how well he is doing now since especially being out. This was one time that getting them locked in early, as well as other OL helped us. Just wish we had done the same for Houston and Berry too.

LDT at the time when signed, I saw a lot of head scratching going on for the price signed. Thing is, they jumped ahead of the market and saw what we had in him. A few weeks later you had G's signing for exponentially much more than LDT and we see just how well he is doing now since especially being out. This was one time that getting them locked in early, as well as other OL helped us. Just wish we had done the same for Houston and Berry too.

This is how Smith's contract was. When he signed it it was much higher because they knew that the market was going to go up for quarterbacks and a lot of quarterbacks were due for extensions or signing. So now the average of his contract was 20th or below. At the time, it looked pretty high and some people remember that so people don't. Now, the backloaded part of next year is higher, but overall the average was lower than a lot of people view it. It worked well for Smith's agent because he was able to say that he got a good contract and it worked out for the Chiefs because it was less than what the rest of the market would get and this year and next was easy enough to get out of if they wanted/want to.

Dorsey had some real issues with contracts mainly because he waited to long and some of the players ended up being POed and all of them had to pay top dollar to get deals done. His contracts with Smith and LDT were both how it should be done. 

I wasn't jumping your ass.  I laughed at what you said and stated you were sticking to your agenda/opinion no matter what.  I'm not stating anything outlandish here.

The facts are we are 5-1 against the toughest schedule in the league and all 6 games we faced a legit QB. 

If you're really going to try and say the Patriots suck and won't make the playoffs to back up your Alex Smith opinion, history itself is going to prove you wrong.

Bill BarnwellVerified account @billbarnwell 8m8 minutes ago

FO has Indy with the league’s easiest schedule so far and its toughest from now on. KC toughest so far, 31st on out https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teameff 

0 replies 1 retweet 14 likes

MLoe, do you have any more "inside skinny" on why Dorsey was fired?

You are relatively new here and I only come to this message board. I was wondering if anyone at Scouts had any other insights?

Don't open that can of worms. LOL. It became WWIII on Scout board.  I was REALLY po'ed when it happened and after Clark didn't offer any explanation even dumped my season tickets. As the dust settled I only heard the rumblings like everyone else. Dorsey wasn't good with contracts, had some issues with veteran players and didn't communicate very well with his staff.

Each day since I've made my peace with it and do think Veach will hopefully provide something similar on draft day with more upside in other areas. It's still a huge risk considering all the veteran leaders we will likely send packing this offseason. I think Clark Hunt is a very intelligent calculating owner that had what he thought were legit reasons. I can respect that. But as with everyone else the real frustration is we are still looking for any insight as to why. Maybe there will be a book one day. 

Dorsey had some real issues with contracts mainly because he waited to long and some of the players ended up being POed and all of them had to pay top dollar to get deals done. His contracts with Smith and LDT were both how it should be done.

That was the head scratcher with Dorsey. Make Houston and Berry the highest paid players at their position and still piss them off. That is hard to do.

It almost like the Steelers have Alex Smith shell-shocked. I admit, personally James Harrison worries me. He seems to not care if he hurts someone or not, and I don't like him. This is all from my perspective, looking at it from the outside of course, he could be an ok person. 

It almost like the Steelers have Alex Smith shell-shocked. I admit, personally James Harrison worries me. He seems to not care if he hurts someone or not, and I don't like him. This is all from my perspective, looking at it from the outside of course, he could be an ok person.

The cheap shot Alex took was awful. The league should suspend that guy to make a point.

Alex is still first in QB rating, 2nd in total yards, tied for first in TDs, and still has not thrown an interception. Can't wait for Mahomes to take over in the future but I am enjoying this ride. Amazing how well he is playing right now. Sucks that defense is not playing as well as they are capable of.

Alex is still first in QB rating, 2nd in total yards, tied for first in TDs, and still has not thrown an interception. Can't wait for Mahomes to take over in the future but I am enjoying this ride. Amazing how well he is playing right now. Sucks that defense is not playing as well as they are capable of.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like we could add Colts to the list of teams that can trade for Smith at the end of the season. Luck won't be back for a while and we just sent them a GM that desperately needs some stability and has a very high 2nd he could easily part with for that goal.

Looks like we could add Colts to the list of teams that can trade for Smith at the end of the season. Luck won't be back for a while and we just sent them a GM that desperately needs some stability and has a very high 2nd he could easily part with for that goal.

Do it!!!

AS11 for the colts 2nd!

they won't give up a 2nd for it.  They'll just keep sucking/tanking until Luck is back or they end up with another top QB falling in their lap.

Archived