Yes Smith has some real weapons and a running game. Gives him more time to execute the entire playbook.

Good Thing ....... because this defense is not special. I know injuries can be an excuse and yes playing a tough schedule. Yet the defense does not do anything exceptional. Just average.

Looking forward to some injured guys back. Hopefully that will make a difference.

Question: Can this team win it all with the Offense Leading The Way and a mediocre defense? I think it can.

Not sure if the offense is good enough to win it all right now. Throughout the year offense has been really good but our run game has regressed over the last two weeks, which is generally the difference maker in the playoffs. Passing game made up for it, especially against the Texans, but it won't be easy unless the opponent is focused on both aspects. If the run game can bounce back that's a different story though.

To be fair, 2-100 yard efforts against 2 good front 7's isn't regression in my opinion. Especially with 2 major factors from the O-line missing. Now I agree with Watt and Mercilous(sp?) going down weakens the Texans run D but Morse and LDT missing still makes 100 impressive. To me at least.

To the thread title, the offense is indeed carrying the team but I don't believe this is a mediocre Defense. Yards per is a worthless Stat here and while Houston put up 34 points, much of that was garbage and some severely missed holding calls. Our Chiefs dominated that game and Watson was lucky to pad his stats. Again, just my opinion.

To be fair, 2-100 yard efforts against 2 good front 7's isn't regression in my opinion. Especially with 2 major factors from the O-line missing. Now I agree with Watt and Mercilous(sp?) going down weakens the Texans run D but Morse and LDT missing still makes 100 impressive. To me at least.

To the thread title, the offense is indeed carrying the team but I don't believe this is a mediocre Defense. Yards per is a worthless Stat here and while Houston put up 34 points, much of that was garbage and some severely missed holding calls. Our Chiefs dominated that game and Watson was lucky to pad his stats. Again, just my opinion.

I think teams game plan is taking away the running game until they wear out. The last two opponents have had their injuries. So his hours, but that's not relevant. We need to stick with the run game is in line it's not doing well because we will eventually break one. But being balanced is the best. But our passes to the running back can open it up a bit.

Not sure if the offense is good enough to win it all right now. Throughout the year offense has been really good but our run game has regressed over the last two weeks, which is generally the difference maker in the playoffs. Passing game made up for it, especially against the Texans, but it won't be easy unless the opponent is focused on both aspects. If the run game can bounce back that's a different story though.

The run game hasn't regressed. The Chiefs were facing 2 defenses that were top 5 against the run. The Chiefs still managed to rush for more yards by a large margin then these teams were given up on average. The only decline I'm seeing is in TD's, but the defenses are focusing on the running game so its to be expected. That said, Alex Smith is making defenses pay for it like we haven't seen him do this consistently before. He's not taking significant more shots down field but he is connecting on them at a much higher rate. Pretty sure in the game last night they had a stat where he leads all QB's in down field completion percentage (53% ?). Opposing teams are faced with a real tough proposition. Stack the box to defend against Hunt and Alex crushes you OR respect Alex Smith and the receiving group and Hunt dominates you. The Chiefs are balanced and because of this are able to overcome anything defenses throw at them. They are doing this with injuries to the offensive line, too. 

The run game hasn't regressed. The Chiefs were facing 2 defenses that were top 5 against the run. The Chiefs still managed to rush for more yards by a large margin then these teams were given up on average. The only decline I'm seeing is in TD's, but the defenses are focusing on the running game so its to be expected. That said, Alex Smith is making defenses pay for it like we haven't seen him do this consistently before. He's not taking significant more shots down field but he is connecting on them at a much higher rate. Pretty sure in the game last night they had a stat where he leads all QB's in down field completion percentage (53% ?). Opposing teams are faced with a real tough proposition. Stack the box to defend against Hunt and Alex crushes you OR respect Alex Smith and the receiving group and Hunt dominates you. The Chiefs are balanced and because of this are able to overcome anything defenses throw at them. They are doing this with injuries to the offensive line, too. 

Exactly right.  Remember several years ago when JC was the only offensive weapon?  The defenses kept eight in the box.  They can stop Hunt most of the time if they play that way, but look out for Hill or Kelce (or Conley, Wilson, Robinson, DAT, or Harris).  The Chiefs showed last night that they are no longer one dimensional.  

Smith, per ESPN Stats & Info, became the first quarterback in NFL history to start 5-0 while throwing for 250 yards per game and at least ten touchdowns and zero interceptions in the Chiefs' 42-34 win over the Texans Sunday night. On the season, Smith has 1,391 yards to go with 11 touchdowns.

Smith, per ESPN Stats & Info, became the first quarterback in NFL history to start 5-0 while throwing for 250 yards per game and at least ten touchdowns and zero interceptions in the Chiefs' 42-34 win over the Texans Sunday night. On the season, Smith has 1,391 yards to go with 11 touchdowns.

The one thing I've heard repeatedly about Smith the last 5 years is that stats don't matter. ;)

The YPC is good compared to opponents' season averages but we need to keep up better figures for the playoffs as we are supposed to face tougher front 7s. The terrible state of the OL is worrisome and probably the main cause right now. However we need to see some players coming back healthy and playing well as a unit to get some confidence in that area. Defense is having lots of trouble so we need to be able to run for first downs on offense to keep them fresh.

Nationally, we are considered the best team in the NFL. I realize that is strange to hear for the Chief's faithful but it is hard to argue. We see all of the team's warts and we tend to have (with good reason) a pessimist's attitude until we do better in post season. I am enjoying the ride. This is most complete team the Chief's have had since they last went to the Superbowl. We had better defenses with the DT/Neil Smith years and better offenses under Vermeil but the other side of the ball was either ordinary or just plain awful. We have talent everywhere and we are deep everywhere. It's hard to believe, we are not the same Chiefs and I think this might be our year to return to the big one. Not predicting but I have confidence unlike any other time since I've been a fan.

Archived