Kareem Hunt Touches

32 is about 7 too many.    I always thought Jamaal's ideal was 15 and 5.   Since Kareem is a sturdier guy, I'd up it to 20 and 5.   But he's not a moose like LJ or Fournette, and even those guys need touches monitored or they burn out, as we saw with what Herm did to LJ.  

I'd rarely let Kareem go above 25 touches.  Last night was too many.   Something to watch going forward.  It's (too) easy for a Coach to fall in love with his starting RB when he's as good as Hunt, and run him into the ground.  

Not knocking the OP, but only two weeks ago people in here were complaining that Hunt wasn't being used enough.  Reid can win all the games and internet board folks will keep whining. 

I know.  But they're wrong.   :lol: .  He was being used right.   Last night he wasn't.  I always look at the long term effect of RB usage, after seeing how badly Herm destroyed LJ so quickly because of drastic overuse.   It's always on my radar, and I was always consistent on how well Haley and then Andy used Jamaal, careful to not overuse him, and get the best out of him.  

It’s tough though because what are our other options? Have Alex throw it more, even though he is on a whole new level right now still wouldn’t want him out there gunslinging because I like our run/pass balance. West had a good game but do we want him taking 5+ touches way from Hunt?

It wouldn't hurt for the Chiefs to have a third option at RB.  Hill and DAT might get a few gadget rushes, but Hunt could use some help other than West.  If West was an effective runner, it wouldn't be so bad, but he hasn't rushed well since 2015.  Spiller was supposed to get that job, but he didn't do well in the pre-season.  Isn't there some RB on the PC and would it make sense to move him up?

I know. But they're wrong. :lol: . He was being used right. Last night he wasn't. I always look at the long term effect of RB usage, after seeing how badly Herm destroyed LJ so quickly because of drastic overuse. It's always on my radar, and I was always consistent on how well Haley and then Andy used Jamaal, careful to not overuse him, and get the best out of him.

I think I might have to argue that LJ killed LJ. The O-line his last year did him no favors and Herm had no clue but I think his physical health was just fine. Mentally he was shot.

Not knocking the OP, but only two weeks ago people in here were complaining that Hunt wasn't being used enough. Reid can win all the games and internet board folks will keep whining.

I agree, but at least we're not arguing about which pass and run plays?

Everyone always says that Reid forgets the run but we have good production there and part of that is because teams think we're passing. A true balance would be best but if you take that pass happy rep out of the equation, teams would key o the run. I mean, until this year and including this year to some extent, our offense was short but we weren't stopped (from winning)(regular season). Reid's shirt pass plays are an extension of the run game - by design - but [gasp!] we pass it all the time and it's short [!].

I have to agree.   We aren't a team just hoping to get to the playoffs which would make sense overusing him now.  We are a legit SB contender and while every game is important overusing a rookie is a recipe for disaster down the stretch.    I love Andy committing more to the run and I don't love that West is the backup but it will be better down the stretch for our chances at making a deep playoff run.

Every RB will have a few games when they are used extensively or barely. I doubt Reid will use Hunt so much that we'll have to monitor his touches but who knows. JC's numbers mostly game late in the game, which was a frustration to most people on forums but there seems to be a nice switch on the offensive mentality over the last two years. The only issue I have right now is that Reid isn't using West or any other backup enough to shake things up and keep Hunt fresh. 

Not a big deal.  Hunt isn't going to get that many touches regularly, as it's going to vary with game situation.  He's young, healthy and resilient, and the guy delivers the blow when he's running rather than taking it, so I'm really not concerned.  25-30 is ideal IMO.  He's not as fragile as JC nor is he a one dimensional back like JC, so I'm not concerned.  Hunt is a guy that can take it.  If he were getting 40 per game I'd be concerned, but that's not gonna happen.  

I'm more concerned that Smith's arm may get tired. He's never thrown this many passes beyond 5 yards. ;) ;)

Oh, come on. He saved all those for practice last year and off-season. He's well conditioned. This year, he's just decided to do in games instead and all short in practice. Handoffs to Hunt who can't get hit as hard in practice.

Seriously though, I hope we start taking out those throwaway plays for one yards. Obviously the design is not for 1 yard but rather hoping that blocking breaks one, but it just seems like we do that every once in a while. It's like the checkout was going out of bounds. 1 yard is better than nothing better than interception, but it seems like there's so much distance between Smith and the sideline that their space to be intercepted offer one yard. Obviously, it hasn't happened that way but the ball is in the air as long as it even pass. Less crowded, though, they do it.

Seriously though, I hope we start taking out those throwaway plays for one yards. Obviously the design is not for 1 yard but rather hoping that blocking breaks one, but it just seems like we do that every once in a while. It's like the checkout was going out of bounds. 1 yard is better than nothing better than interception, but it seems like there's so much distance between Smith and the sideline that their space to be intercepted offer one yard. Obviously, it hasn't happened that way but the ball is in the air as long as it even pass. Less crowded, though, they do it.

I think they can be effective if you have to respect the deep ball. Throughout AAA's career defenses could flood the LOS. Not anymore. 

I think they can be effective if you have to respect the deep ball. Throughout AAA's career defenses could flood the LOS. Not anymore.

Frankly, it surprised me how effective we were in our short game despite that. Everyone always said we had a great running back and so defenses would creep up. Everyone said that we threw short so defenses with creep up. Obviously that should open up the deep game and we didn't use it, but if they're creeping up, shouldn't they be stopping us? In a way we were stopped in not having playoff wins and not having as good of end results despite winning. But having more personnel upfront and always going short, should make us miserable but instead we did alright.

We take with the defense gives us and now they have to give us something deep. We took what the defense gave us and so that might push the numbers up because they don't care if we get small gains. But if we get short and we end up scoring and they lose the game, maybe they shouldn't be giving us those options?

It's like, "Ha! You only got 5 yards! Hee hee, you only got 6 yards. Shit, that's a first down. Ha! Got you for only 4 this time. TD." Our problem has been in the red zone even though one of our years we performed well in that category. The problem has been 3rd down and that's often because of penalties/sacks and not because of the short game. Throwing short on third down irritated me, but that wasn't why we were in third and long.

Archived