Retire Tony Gonzalez's #88

Tony Gonzalez is the best TE in NFL history. Gonzalez revolutionized the position as making the TE more of a pass-catching threat than an extra blocker. Sure, Tony came up short on having a Super Bowl ring, but that shouldn't mean anything with all the records he set. When Tony is eventually voted into the NFL Hall of Fame, he already stated that he'll go in as a Kansas City Chief.

Therefore, Ross Travis needs to be forced to pick a new # or face being traded or released. It just doesn't even look or feel right when I see the #88 and the name above doesn't read Gonzalez. Bottomline this needs to happen along with Tony's statue built somewhere in or around Arrowhead Stadium.

the Chiefs used to retire #'s when the player got in the HOF..that is all good a fine until you get all bunch of HOF'rs..Cowboy & the Raiders  are the first two teams that come to mind that dont have that policy

DT's # 58 had not been officially retired before his HOF induction IIRC just nobody had the Balls to wear it. 

I am sure after his HOF induction the #88 will get retired.

I don't think they should ever retire a number unless that player was bringing in multiple SB trophies home. I love Tony G but we can't just retire numbers because we had an appreciation for a guy. Retired numbers have to be legacy players that have records that can never be broken such as SB WINS.

Archived