DT Square claimed, Gordon released

From AP Sports:

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- The Kansas City Chiefs claimed defensive tackle Damion Square off waivers and released tight end Richard Gordon as they began final assembly of their roster for the season opener.

Unlike last year, when the Chiefs were atop the waiver claim priority list, they were just 23rd in line this season. That means 22 other teams skipped on Square, who was active for 10 games with Philadelphia last year but was among the Eagles' final cuts Saturday.

Gordon was the fourth tight end kept by the Chiefs and was unlikely to be kept long.

The Chiefs also began assembling their 10-member practice squad, reaching deals with eight players: offensive linemen Ben Gottschalk and Ricky Henry, wide receivers Darryl Surgent and Fred Williams, running back Charcandrick West, linebacker Nico Johnson, defensive lineman Kona Schwenke and fullback Jordan Campbell.

Charles Johnson was available at WR and had a good camp.  He has Packer ties.  I'm not excited over Daniel Sorensen at safety.  There were a slew of safeties in OG released.  What I'm not comfortable with is the apparent satisfaction Reid/Dorsey have with this roster.

I am not going to jump on Dorsey too hard until this season plays out. So far, it seems as if there are an awful lot loose ends. However, Dorsey wasn't dealt a winning hand to begin his career here in KC. It will take some time to overcome the idiocy that was Scott Pioli. 

I am not going to jump on Dorsey too hard until this season plays out. So far, it seems as if there are an awful lot loose ends. However, Dorsey wasn't dealt a winning hand to begin his career here in KC. It will take some time to overcome the idiocy that was Scott Pioli. 

Funny how distance adds perspective.  Scott Pioli added Houston.  He added Berry.  He added Poe.  What non-draftee did he grossly overpay?  He paid deserving players like Hali, DJ, and Flowers well.  His worst R1 draft pick was Ty Jack, who at least did well versus the run.  

What has Dorsey done?  The roster did not improve at any one single position this off-season.

Fuck Pioli.., At least Dorsey doesn't have em picking up gum wrappers..,

Pioli was a circus clown and should be banned from KC for life..,

damn that was so well said.....brought a little tear to my eye....

Fuck Pioli.., At least Dorsey doesn't have em picking up gum wrappers..,

Pioli was a circus clown and should be banned from KC for life..,

Maybe so, but his body of work is ahead of Dorsey's thus far -- gum wrappers and spying aside.

Pioli's biggest mistakes were not his drafts, it was Haley, Cassel, and Crennel!!!  In that order.

I'd put Crennel first.  At least Pioli had the guts to try a fresh face in Haley.  Haley was a raw, young coach who made many mistakes.  Unfortunately no one had the patience to deal with his growing pains.  Crennel was/is an overrated DC, and a flop HC.  Even before he came to KC.  But the fanbase, as usual, wanted a "proven" coach -- proven failure, unfortunately.

At least Pioli had the guts to try a fresh face in Haley.  Haley was a raw, young coach who made many mistakes.  Unfortunately no one had the patience to deal with his growing pains.  

Which begs the question.  How many years should these young guns get, to allow for their growing pains?  

Marvin Lewis type time?

Also if you remember correctly the relationship between pioli and haley soured.   It wasn't the fans that ran him off.  Pioli had to try and buy some time/save face, cause he was dieing from hitching his wagon to cassel. That has more to do with haley being released than the fans calling for it.   Also, Pioli apparently couldn't get coaches outside of his parcels/Bellechek tree.   

He might have been able to draft a few good first rounders but outside of that he was shit!!

You casting Dorsey out after 2 offseasons?  What about his growing pains?

Maybe so, but his body of work is ahead of Dorsey's thus far -- gum wrappers and spying aside.

There is a lot more to being a General Manager than drafting and making trades.., Dorsey's only starting his second year..,

A GM sets the culture for the franchise, hires the administrators, the PR people and oversees the entire presentation..,He's the one that puts the dress on the pig.., One thing I've noticed under Dorsey is that personel are a lot more accessable, rule by fear and intimidation by a heavy handed micromanager are gone and I'm actually enjoying the direction this club is going.., Hell, the only free agent we could get to play for us was Eric Winston and he flopped like a stuck tuna.., For being a year and a half in, I'd say Dorsey is miles ahead of Pioli.., I'm so glad that fool is gone and anybody that wants to make apologies for his incompetance is more than welcome to, but its way too soon for any comparative analysis..,

Fair or not, Dorsey's legacy and drafting ability will be tied to Eric Fischer and I'm still hoping that works out for the best.., I guess we'll know soon enough..,

Which begs the question.  How many years should these young guns get, to allow for their growing pains?  

Marvin Lewis type time?

Also if you remember correctly the relationship between pioli and haley soured.   It wasn't the fans that ran him off.  Pioli had to try and buy some time/save face, cause he was dieing from hitching his wagon to cassel. That has more to do with haley being released than the fans calling for it.   Also, Pioli apparently couldn't get coaches outside of his parcels/Bellechek tree.   

He might have been able to draft a few good first rounders but outside of that he was shit!!

You casting Dorsey out after 2 offseasons?  What about his growing pains?

Touche.  However I'm not "casting" Dorsey out?  I'm calling him out.  This roster is a debacle and while everything Maui states is true, the bottom line is winning.  At least it was with King Carl.  No one cared how well the Chiefs were run at the end, just that there was no hardware to show for it.  Dorsey deserves a grace period before his head should be served.  That doesn't mean he's above criticism, though.

Haley's relationship soured with Pioli, tis true.  However a majority of this board was calling for his head long before they decided Pioli was a chucklehead.  Maybe Haley was too.  While no one deserves Marvin Lewis/Wayne Fontes security Haley deserved a year or two more.

Pioli draft record was far from sterling, but what has Dorsey's 2013 or 2014 class shown thus far?  I don't see an Eric Berry, Dontari Poe or a Justin Houston in there.  Do you?

Touche.  However I'm not "casting" Dorsey out?  I'm calling him out.  This roster is a debacle and while everything Maui states is true, the bottom line is winning.  At least it was with King Carl.  No one cared how well the Chiefs were run at the end, just that there was no hardware to show for it.  Dorsey deserves a grace period before his head should be served.  That doesn't mean he's above criticism, though.

Haley's relationship soured with Pioli, tis true.  However a majority of this board was calling for his head long before they decided Pioli was a chucklehead.  Maybe Haley was too.  While no one deserves Marvin Lewis/Wayne Fontes security Haley deserved a year or two more.

Pioli draft record was far from sterling, but what has Dorsey's 2013 or 2014 class shown thus far?  I don't see an Eric Berry, Dontari Poe or a Justin Houston in there.  Do you?

You do realize the cap situation the team was in right??  They could not just throw money at Alberts,  Asaomoah, Swartz.   They were what??, like 3 mil under the cap, going into Free agency. Of those 3 who were they gonna sign and still work towards houston, smith, or even possibly restructuring berry.  He did try to get WR help with the money they did have in Sanders.  Well again he went to denver.  I can't blame any WR skipping over any team in the NFL to have a chance to play with manning.

Fischer could be Dorsey's Jackson?? Ford, we have no idea yet.  For the stuff they were trying he looked bad, but it looked like they were having him do things he never did in college. It's Preseason I don't know of anyone outside the team knows what they are trying to do in those games.

I do see Davis, Kelce, and Dat as some arrows pointing up, but we have no clue as to what they are going to bring yet.

The Chiefs body of work sure makes one think "here we go again".  But we cannot say that is how it's going to be, for at least 2 more years.  Would it be great to win NOW.  HELL yeah!! but it's just not how it's gonna work. 

P.S.  He did get Charles inked on a team friendly deal to keep him here for his prime!!  So much going on with the team, I almost forgot bout this important piece.

You do realize the cap situation the team was in right??  They could not just throw money at Alberts,  Asaomoah, Swartz.   They were what??, like 3 mil under the cap, going into Free agency. Of those 3 who were they gonna sign and still work towards houston, smith, or even possibly restructuring berry.  He did try to get WR help with the money they did have in Sanders.  Well again he went to denver.  I can't blame any WR skipping over any team in the NFL to have a chance to play with manning.

Fischer could be Dorsey's Jackson?? Ford, we have no idea yet.  For the stuff they were trying he looked bad, but it looked like they were having him do things he never did in college. It's Preseason I don't know of anyone outside the team knows what they are trying to do in those games.

I do see Davis, Kelce, and Dat as some arrows pointing up, but we have no clue as to what they are going to bring yet.

The Chiefs body of work sure makes one think "here we go again".  But we cannot say that is how it's going to be, for at least 2 more years.  Would it be great to win NOW.  HELL yeah!! but it's just not how it's gonna work. 

P.S.  He did get Charles inked on a team friendly deal to keep him here for his prime!!  So much going on with the team, I almost forgot bout this important piece.

Cap, schmap!  He did not improve one single position!  Not one.  Other teams manage tight cap situations.  In the NFL, if you aren't improving you are regressing.  I suspect this board will not be so forgiving should the Chiefs only win 5-6 games.

Fisher was a mistake, plain and simple.  Ford, who knows?  Gaines, who knows?  Normally I would champion Dorsey's draft approach to not draft solely for need.  However, he funneled himself into making it the only avenue he had to improve this team immediately.  

He's made a nasty habit of drafting projects, it seems.  This team doesn't have that luxury.  When he's reviewing his draft board of BPA, immediate impact should have counted for something.  Remember that while Dee Ford struggles.  Especially if one or more of the wealth of WR available when KC drafted excel.

Fisher was a mistake, plain and simple.  Ford, who knows?  Gaines, who knows?  Normally I would champion Dorsey's draft approach to not draft solely for need.  However, he funneled himself into making it the only avenue he had to improve this team immediately.  

He's made a nasty habit of drafting projects, it seems.  This team doesn't have that luxury.  When he's reviewing his draft board of BPA, immediate impact should have counted for something.  Remember that while Dee Ford struggles.  Especially if one or more of the wealth of WR available when KC drafted excel.

Why did the eagles bounce out of the 22 spot if they were targeting a WR??  Everything I had read pointed to that is what they were after if it was there.  Apparently the grades weren't so good.

Good ol Hind sight right??

Cap, schmap!  He did not improve one single position!  Not one.  Other teams manage tight cap situations.  In the NFL, if you aren't improving you are regressing.  I suspect this board will not be so forgiving should the Chiefs only win 5-6 games.

But again how would you have signed all that beef on the front??  Got Charles happy, and been in position to ink the others.   Call it excuses, or whatever, but it's just how I see it.

I agree "on paper"  they took a step back.  They were also not in a position to just go out like gang busters, this offseason, Money wise and with only a handful of picks. Late rounders at that.   I fully expect a 6 -10 season but that doesn't mean that the moves he's made isn't gonna benefit this team for the future.  

Good or bad, we have NO clue how this thing is gonna look this season or 2-3 down the road.

Why did the eagles bounce out of the 22 spot if they were targeting a WR??  Everything I had read pointed to that is what they were after if it was there.  Apparently the grades weren't so good.

Good ol Hind sight right??

PHI saw depth at WR and had a good deal in place.  They made a shrewd deal.  One I had hoped the Chiefs would be able to, especially without an R2 in a talent rich draft.  I cursed my Eagles buddy saying the Birds stole our trade.  

I doubt it was that the WR were overrated.  On the contrary, in drafts were a position is loaded, teams tend to focus on other positions knowing the loaded spot can be acquired later.  Go back and review the R2 drafted.  Reports I've read have been pretty good on all of them, thus far.  

Archived