I thought this was a great article on our Defensive scheme. Counterintuitive Sh**

I don't get and have never gotten this staff's love affair with Sorenson, and why he was signed to that inflated contract.  He's a decent utility player, OK in small doses, but the more he plays, the more he's exposed.   Murray should be the Berry replacement starter, not that anyone can replace the best S in the game, and Sorenson should play as sparingly as possible, and never as a run stopper.  

it is a great article but the problem Im having is Sutton's inability to adjust when his scheme is not functioning. We were getting gashed by Pitts run d.  Man up in the box and stop it.  Make big ben throw the ball, he's been a train wreck lately.  

Instead of taking away the run, which is Pittsburgh's strong suit, we let them run all day and take the game out of ben's hands.

Its confusing to me as I would stop Bell and take my chances with Ben(who's been very very inconsistent.

Im not a d coordinator but it would make sense to me to stop the run 

I don't get and have never gotten this staff's love affair with Sorenson, and why he was signed to that inflated contract. He's a decent utility player, OK in small doses, but the more he plays, the more he's exposed. Murray should be the Berry replacement starter, not that anyone can replace the best S in the game, and Sorenson should play as sparingly as possible, and never as a run stopper.

Dirty Dan not living up to that name at all. After that ball was tippes by Gaines, Sorensen should have thrown his body at Brown and knock his ass on the ground. It’s like he went into the contact with his eyes closes holding a purse man like cmon this team knocked us out of the playoffs last season, can we get a lil physical please? This is football damnit

Dirty Dan not living up to that name at all. After that ball was tippes by Gaines, Sorensen should have thrown his body at Brown and knock his ass on the ground. It’s like he went into the contact with his eyes closes holding a purse man like cmon this team knocked us out of the playoffs last season, can we get a lil physical please? This is football damnit

I absolutely thought the same thing.

he had to have his eyes closed as he completely whiffed on that tackle vs brown

Steelers only scored 19 points and created a turnover. Hard to blame scheme there v. It's up to our offense to counter their clock killing run offense by doing the same. And Sorensen was awful yesterday. Missed tackles were a major issue overall.

I don't get and have never gotten this staff's love affair with Sorenson, and why he was signed to that inflated contract.  He's a decent utility player, OK in small doses, but the more he plays, the more he's exposed.   Murray should be the Berry replacement starter, not that anyone can replace the best S in the game, and Sorenson should play as sparingly as possible, and never as a run stopper.  

I'd like to see the snap counts but I believe both played instead of Sorenson in for Murray.  I think they put in Sorenson where Ragland/Ramik would have been which clearly wasn't a good plan.

Bottom line is the defense is average to above average at best, honestly you can say it's basically the Alex Smith of defense (apart from his first 5 games this year).   The defense is conservative and gives up huge chunks between the 20's but then tightens up once you are in the red zone which is why we are always at the bottom of yards allowed but at the top at points given up.  

I'd like to see the snap counts but I believe both played instead of Sorenson in for Murray.  I think they put in Sorenson where Ragland/Ramik would have been which clearly wasn't a good plan.

Bottom line is the defense is average to above average at best, honestly you can say it's basically the Alex Smith of defense (apart from his first 5 games this year).   The defense is conservative and gives up huge chunks between the 20's but then tightens up once you are in the red zone which is why we are always at the bottom of yards allowed but at the top at points given up.  

Defense is playing very conservatively.  I remember last year, Sutton would blitz all day and we'd live and die by the blitz. Not really seeing that this year.

It's ok to  play conservative but time of possession was huge fro the Steelers.  I believe the first quarter time was 12 &1/2 minutes for Pitts.  That kills a defense and the offense has no chance to get on the field and start producing. The bend but dont break style of defense can really kill an entire team and it was proven by Pittsburgh.

Final time of possession (36:39 to 23:21). That's a backbreaker

Defense is playing very conservatively.  I remember last year, Sutton would blitz all day and we'd live and die by the blitz. Not really seeing that this year.

It's ok to  play conservative but time of possession was huge fro the Steelers.  I believe the first quarter time was 12 &1/2 minutes for Pitts.  That kills a defense and the offense has no chance to get on the field and start producing. The bend but dont break style of defense can really kill an entire team and it was proven by Pittsburgh.

Final time of possession (36:39 to 23:21). That's a backbreaker

Exactly 

Steelers only scored 19 points and created a turnover. Hard to blame scheme there v. It's up to our offense to counter their clock killing run offense by doing the same. And Sorensen was awful yesterday. Missed tackles were a major issue overall.

Problem is wasting Houston and time of possession. Houston is paid big bucks. Why if he is used this way?

Archived