Who should we trade/cut at the end of the season?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I gotta say it.....What about Houston? If Sutton stays does that still mean Houston, our $100M dollar man, is going to keep dropping back into coverage more than he rushes the passer????

On the radio down here in AZ there are talks about Cards CB Patrick Peterson might want out. Thoughts on trading Houston for Peterson? It just makes me sick when I watch a game and see one of the best pass rushers in the NFL drop the F back in coverage more than he goes after the QB errrrrr

I gotta say it.....What about Houston? If Sutton stays does that still mean Houston, our $100M dollar man, is going to keep dropping back into coverage more than he rushes the passer????

On the radio down here in AZ there are talks about Cards CB Patrick Peterson might want out. Thoughts on trading Houston for Peterson? It just makes me sick when I watch a game and see one of the best pass rushers in the NFL drop the F back in coverage more than he goes after the QB errrrrr

That problem will be resolved once the Chiefs get rid of Ford. Might be sooner than expected with Zombo starting over him and Houston will be let loose. I'm not in favor of sending the best 3-4 OLB in the NFL packing just because our DC isn't using him right.

That problem will be resolved once the Chiefs get rid of Ford. Might be sooner than expected with Zombo starting over him and Houston will be let loose. I'm not in favor of sending the best 3-4 OLB in the NFL packing just because our DC isn't using him right.

I don’t get what happened to Ford, he was actually very good at coverage in the past

I don’t get what happened to Ford, he was actually very good at coverage in the past

For some reason he's moving in the wrong direction. He was terrible against the run but not as bad in coverage and had a great first step. Now he only has the first step and for some reason the rest seems to be getting worse. 

Don’t you all think its probably to conserve the man’s health? Injuries occur most in the trenches. Look at JJ Watt. We need him to be fully healthy for the playoffs and playoffs only.

Have we ever had Houston healthy for the playoffs? Not really besides that Indy game, and he got injured that year too.

Why waste 100M on a regular season game when we’re playoff bound.

And Houston almost broke the sack record under Sutton so let’s stop and think for a damn second

PLAYOFFS?!?!

Word is we'd save 34m dollars if we let Smith and Hali go at the end of the season. Do yall know how much we'd save if we let go of those two, plus Ford, Gaines, DJ, Sorensen etc? I believe if we don't make the SB this season then we should wield the axe and rebuild. 

If the numbers on overthecap.com is correct Smith + Hali save 24 million. Ford's rookie deal is over after this season but Chiefs exercised the option which could be rescinded and will probably save just under 9 million if that happens. DJ saves 8 million as well but I doubt they let go of so many veterans at the same time and if someone is to be kept DJ seems like the logical option to keep.

Sorensen saves just under 2 million and Gaines is a free agent so we'll be rid of him.

If the numbers on overthecap.com is correct Smith + Hali save 24 million. Ford's rookie deal is over after this season but Chiefs exercised the option which could be rescinded and will probably save just under 9 million if that happens. DJ saves 8 million as well but I doubt they let go of so many veterans at the same time and if someone is to be kept DJ seems like the logical option to keep.

Sorensen saves just under 2 million and Gaines is a free agent so we'll be rid of him.

Cheers. What about Ware? Wilson? Witzman? I understand that they won't want to get rid of all the veterans. But surely it all depends on their performances? We already have the core of a very good team so making a few big decisions next year could be the key to taking us to the SB if we don't make it this year.

It was a bad game for DJ, but he is still tied with Houston for tackles. They are by far the most productive LBs on the field for us.

But, Ragland finally made some plays. He and Wilson need to put some production on the stat sheets. When they are running in down your throats all game and you are an ILB... 3 tackles by DJ and 3 tackles by Ragland is disappointing.

It's one game though. The usual Pit performance.

It was a bad game for DJ, but he is still tied with Houston for tackles. They are by far the most productive LBs on the field for us.

But, Ragland finally made some plays. He and Wilson need to put some production on the stat sheets. When they are running in down your throats all game and you are an ILB... 3 tackles by DJ and 3 tackles by Ragland is disappointing.

It's one game though. The usual Pit performance.

Roadmap for other teams to exploit

Cheers. What about Ware? Wilson? Witzman? I understand that they won't want to get rid of all the veterans. But surely it all depends on their performances? We already have the core of a very good team so making a few big decisions next year could be the key to taking us to the SB if we don't make it this year.

Wilson and Wietzman are supposed to be on 1-year deals so probably will leave after this season, Ware has one more year so either he gets traded or rotates with Hunt. I'm guessing either Ware or West is gone though.

Why not just get another WR who can both block and score TD's? We stifle our offence when we only have a limited amount of WR's who can score imo. 

Conley was making clutch catches as a possession-type receiver in week five. Then he lost his achilles. Whether or not Conley was getting the ticks in the touchdowns column or not, he was a huge part of the offense this year. Now he's gone, and there is literally no one left experienced enough to satisfy the demands of that role.

After Travis Kelce, I don't think there was a skill player more important to Alex Smith than Chris Conley. That was Smith's go-to guy in clutch moments. He's made a lot of catches at the sticks on third down.

So here are some names to watch that we could release that would actually make sense financially. 

Ron Parker...7 million dollar cap hit, 2 million dollars in dead money. Saves 5 million against the cap. He is a good player, but Murray looks like the real deal to me, and could take over at FS for a fraction of the cost.

Derrick Johnson...10.25 million dollar cap hit, 2.25 million in dead money.  Saves 8 million against the cap. This is a no brainer. He has lost a step and is no longer an impact player. We will have to prioritize finding a player who can replace him and play 3 downs. Ragland will be fine as a 2 down run stuffer but this is not a coverage guy.

Tamba Hali...8.6 million dollar cap hit, 1.6 million in dead money. He isn't playing so there is no loss to feel. Saves 8 million against the cap. Hopefully Dadi can get back to health and provide some depth.

Allen Bailey...8 million dollar cap hit, 2 million in dead money. Saves 6 million against the cap. In my opinion this is where Kpass plays next year. The guy weighs 285 lbs, and is not built to play OLB despite many fans delusion that he should.

Smith...obviously saves 17 million against the cap, so he will be traded if this team doesn't make noise in the playoffs, and maybe even if we do. I believe it's Superbowl or bust as far as him remaining here. He showed again Sunday that he is incapable of beating a team when they make us 1 dimensional. They took away our run game, and Smith was pressured often and immediately reverted back into what he has always been. Inaccurate, easily rattled, etc.

Cutting guys like Chris Conley on a rookie contract is absolutely asinine. Those contracts are the ones that teams need to have as many of as possible.

Sorenson saves less that 2 mill against the cap, so that's a judgement call by the higher ups. I think he is miscast as a starter, but is very solid as a 3rd safety.

As far as guys like Houston and Berry are concerned...forget about it. Their contracts are structured to where it is nearly impossible to cut them and justify the massive amounts of dead money the Chiefs would accrue. Not to mention the fact they are stars, team leaders, and some of the best players in the league at any position. Thinking about cutting guys like that is fucking stupid for lack of a better term.

Dee Ford is absolutely one dimensional. He is worthless if he isn't chasing the QB. But I doubt they can afford to find a better pass rusher in FA, and we aren't going to find someone more game ready in the draft. So you let him play out his deal and draft and groom his replacement next year.

Conley was making clutch catches as a possession-type receiver in week five. Then he lost his achilles. Whether or not Conley was getting the ticks in the touchdowns column or not, he was a huge part of the offense this year. Now he's gone, and there is literally no one left experienced enough to satisfy the demands of that role.

After Travis Kelce, I don't think there was a skill player more important to Alex Smith than Chris Conley. That was Smith's go-to guy in clutch moments. He's made a lot of catches at the sticks on third down.

Well I believe our offence needs to evolve. You can't have a WR who can't score TD's. Yes, making the odd clutch catch here and there is good. But if we really want to go to super bowls then we need that and MORE out our WR's. The movement and separation Robinson was displaying on Sunday was levels above what Conley was doing imo and when you really do the maths Robinson could have had two Td's if Smith wouldn't have messed up.

Well I believe our offence needs to evolve. You can't have a WR who can't score TD's. Yes, making the odd clutch catch here and there is good. But if we really want to go to super bowls then we need that and MORE out our WR's. The movement and separation Robinson was displaying on Sunday was levels above what Conley was doing imo and when you really do the maths Robinson could have had two Td's if Smith wouldn't have messed up.

I think it all changes if Conley is used as a red zone target. He doesn't need as much separation due to the freakish athletic ability but Smith doesn't take the risk in most cases. I don't think he can replicate Burress but could have a similar advantage over DBs if used by the right QB and Mahomes might benefit a lot from such a receiver. Also with Conley out our running game has been terrible, then again the sample size is very small so we'll see in a few weeks. 

Since Chiefs don't save any money by cutting him I think it doesn't make any sense to consider such moves before the TC. 

Choose your complaint then. You can't score touchdowns if you can't sustain drives.

Conley needs to go or be depth.  He was on track for 560 yards and no TDs. Last year he had 530 and no TDs.  I think that is pretty much what he is. And he does not contribute to ST. IMO there are some intriguing talents on this team in Robinson and Chesson. I would move on and keep him for a backup if super cheap. 

I don't think many of us would miss Albert Wilson and he is much more of an asset than Conley.

So we cut all these suggested players who are starters and then what...a magical stor flies in and fills their positions? Ok, we cut some of our guys to save money then get into a bidding war with 31 other teams to pay a premium for the same positions since we are low on draft picks? DJ and Hali will be gone unless they take a veteran minimum with incentives...the other guys will end up costing more to cut and replace.

So we cut all these suggested players who are starters and then what...a magical stor flies in and fills their positions? Ok, we cut some of our guys to save money then get into a bidding war with 31 other teams to pay a premium for the same positions since we are low on draft picks? DJ and Hali will be gone unless they take a veteran minimum with incentives...the other guys will end up costing more to cut and replace.

This is where Veach earns his money. There's a few guys in this roster who are either too old or not good enough, I think with a little smart thinking we should come out of it just fine.

I'll yell you this, Gaines can be replaced with anyone off the steeet..

Archived