Who should we trade/cut at the end of the season?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By no means am I endorsing a status quo concept and gladly would watch Gaines and other below average and older players get cut. I'm referring to the names of those that can actually play that are being tossed around like Bailey, Sorenson, Parker, Conley, et al. These guys can play and you don't just make cuts to save money for the sake of saving money. Every player cut is a player needing replaced. I just think people get to cut happy and forget this isn't building a fantasy team.

Personally, I think cutting Sutton and finding a Wade Phillips disciple wold correct a lot of problem. Houston wouldn't be covering wide receivers and we would be stopping the damn run.

By no means am I endorsing a status quo concept and gladly would watch Gaines and other below average and older players get cut. I'm referring to the names of those that can actually play that are being tossed around like Bailey, Sorenson, Parker, Conley, et al. These guys can play and you don't just make cuts to save money for the sake of saving money. Every player cut is a player needing replaced. I just think people get to cut happy and forget this isn't building a fantasy team.

Personally, I think cutting Sutton and finding a Wade Phillips disciple wold correct a lot of problem. Houston wouldn't be covering wide receivers and we would be stopping the damn run.

Amen to this.

So we cut all these suggested players who are starters and then what...a magical stor flies in and fills their positions? Ok, we cut some of our guys to save money then get into a bidding war with 31 other teams to pay a premium for the same positions since we are low on draft picks? DJ and Hali will be gone unless they take a veteran minimum with incentives...the other guys will end up costing more to cut and replace.

How can you read a post where someone suggests potential cap casualties and somehow overloook the part of the SAME POST where their potential IN HOUSE REPLACEMENTS are named?

Bailey would be replaced by Kpassanoh and Parker would be replaced by Murray. These guys are 2nd and 4th rounders respectively so they should be expected to produce at some point. Getting eventual starters out of the draft on rookie contracts like this is exactly how teams remain in good cap shape.

I'm not sure what a magic stor is, but there is no need to get into a bidding war for replacements on the free agent market when they may already be here.

Conley needs to go or be depth.  He was on track for 560 yards and no TDs. Last year he had 530 and no TDs.  I think that is pretty much what he is. And he does not contribute to ST. IMO there are some intriguing talents on this team in Robinson and Chesson. I would move on and keep him for a backup if super cheap. 

I don't think many of us would miss Albert Wilson and he is much more of an asset than Conley.

This team absolutely needs a legit starting WR to put next to Tyreek. Everyone else on this roster are just system types that do something well and do contribute in some way but wouldn't likely start anywhere else. I'd sign a WR and G in free agency. And then draft heavy on defense. Release Tamba and Bailey. Try to resign DJ to a 2 year 8 mil type deal or release him. Let Gaines and Acker walk. Also trade Alex for day two pick and let Colquitt walk. Resign Logan and Sherman. Most others I could give or take depending on how they work with us contract wise.  

So here are some names to watch that we could release that would actually make sense financially. 

Ron Parker...7 million dollar cap hit, 2 million dollars in dead money. Saves 5 million against the cap. He is a good player, but Murray looks like the real deal to me, and could take over at FS for a fraction of the cost.

Derrick Johnson...10.25 million dollar cap hit, 2.25 million in dead money.  Saves 8 million against the cap. This is a no brainer. He has lost a step and is no longer an impact player. We will have to prioritize finding a player who can replace him and play 3 downs. Ragland will be fine as a 2 down run stuffer but this is not a coverage guy.

Tamba Hali...8.6 million dollar cap hit, 1.6 million in dead money. He isn't playing so there is no loss to feel. Saves 8 million against the cap. Hopefully Dadi can get back to health and provide some depth.

Allen Bailey...8 million dollar cap hit, 2 million in dead money. Saves 6 million against the cap. In my opinion this is where Kpass plays next year. The guy weighs 285 lbs, and is not built to play OLB despite many fans delusion that he should.

Smith...obviously saves 17 million against the cap, so he will be traded if this team doesn't make noise in the playoffs, and maybe even if we do. I believe it's Superbowl or bust as far as him remaining here. He showed again Sunday that he is incapable of beating a team when they make us 1 dimensional. They took away our run game, and Smith was pressured often and immediately reverted back into what he has always been. Inaccurate, easily rattled, etc.

Cutting guys like Chris Conley on a rookie contract is absolutely asinine. Those contracts are the ones that teams need to have as many of as possible.

Sorenson saves less that 2 mill against the cap, so that's a judgement call by the higher ups. I think he is miscast as a starter, but is very solid as a 3rd safety.

As far as guys like Houston and Berry are concerned...forget about it. Their contracts are structured to where it is nearly impossible to cut them and justify the massive amounts of dead money the Chiefs would accrue. Not to mention the fact they are stars, team leaders, and some of the best players in the league at any position. Thinking about cutting guys like that is fucking stupid for lack of a better term.

Dee Ford is absolutely one dimensional. He is worthless if he isn't chasing the QB. But I doubt they can afford to find a better pass rusher in FA, and we aren't going to find someone more game ready in the draft. So you let him play out his deal and draft and groom his replacement next year.

I personally believe Parker is the most underrated player on our roster. I'm not letting him walk. Between Alex, Tamba, Bailey and DJ we could save a staggering 38 million. We've got logical replacements for everyone except DJ (if he actually starts to get some speed back this year I might bring him back). Key is between Tamba, Bailey and DJ we save enough money to play the Alex Smith bluff game needed to potentially get us a day two pick. We may take a step backwards next year with a surge of youth on defense and at QB, but it still could be a dangerous type team at playoff time if Mahomes matures fast enough. I think this is why Veach is here now because this offseason represents a major changing of the guard of sorts. 

This team absolutely needs a legit starting WR to put next to Tyreek. Everyone else on this roster are just system types that do something well and do contribute in some way but wouldn't likely start anywhere else. I'd sign a WR and G in free agency. And then draft heavy on defense. Release Tamba and Bailey. Try to resign DJ to a 2 year 8 mil type deal or release him. Let Gaines and Acker walk. Also trade Alex for day two pick and let Colquitt walk. Resign Logan and Sherman. Most others I could give or take depending on how they work with us contract wise.  

We've agreed in the past that we need another receiver, a big possession receiver to pair with Hill.  That said, I do like Conley, and I think he has a place as a third receiver, because he is a good run blocker and he makes the catches when the ball comes his way.  I know someone else commented on his lack of production, but let's be real here, Reid's offense has a lot of plays designed for certain guys, and Conley is behind Hill, Kelce and Hunt in the pecking order, so I think his lack of receiving production has more to do with balls going the way of other guys than it does anything Conley isn't doing.  He's not Randy Moss, but he's also not Sylvester Morris.  He absolutely has a place on this team, and losing him to injury was a pretty big blow. 

It takes one to know one oldtimer. It's worked all these years. But I'll admit he seems to be a bit slower nowadays.  I'll just let the man go until he's tired of going. Knowledge is such an important thing to have in todays NFL. I'll take an inside backer from somewhere next year but this man is a  champion. You want to talk about troopers he didn't shy away from interviews and said we just got out muscled. I think we will see them again this year and the outcome will be different. We got to be like the old bull. Just take you time and go get them all. You know what I mean?

Surprised so many want to cut Bailey. Logan, Bailey, Nacho, Jones are a solid core. I would hold those guys.

Cut Hali, Gaines, Conley.

I would keep DJ, Smith, Colquit only if they restructured for a reasonable price.

You have, have, have got to get help on the Oline for the first year starting QB. West is good for passing downs, but we need and second RB. If that is Ware, cool, but I would draft a sledge hammer rook to complete. Late round is fine.

I am not to concerned with WR surprisingly. Love to have Hill be a destroy you slot receiver, but a stud FA just costs to much. I would rather upgrade TE and run more 2 tight sets.

Cheap vets. V. Davis is no joke, L. Murray could spell hunt. Davis is second string and Murray 3rd. If you could work something out for Conley, I am in.

Fun to speculate, but there is a ton of football to play and Conley who I bag on could be the Super Bowl MVP before these decisions are made.

Don't know that I understand all the hate for Conley.  The guy is making pennies and like moon said he's a great 3rd/4th wr oan this team.   

As for my cuts -

Hali - We can financially afford to cut Hali next year and his contract is not worth his production.

DJ - He just isn't the same player.  Saves 8 million.

Alex - Traded for a #2 if his play continues like this.   Saves 8 million.

Dustin Colquitt - Love the guy but he's not worth $5million per year.   Saves 17 million.

We aren't cutting Berry or Houston or even Bailey.

We will need to find a P, ILB, DB, LG, WR, RB depth and possibly OLB depending on Fords season.

We could draft JK Scott in the later rounds of the draft for P. 

We have stockpiled ILB's and hopefully 1 of them steps up their game so worse case we need to add 1.

We get Steven Nelson back in a week or two and hopefully that will help our secondary but Terrance Mitchell is as good as gone next year and Gaines should be so this might be the biggest hole on the team.  I could see us picking a DB in round 2 next year.

FA.

We should be able to find a legit LG and WR in FA.

Leaving OLB as the lone spot that it would be hard to replace in the mid rounds of a draft.   Netting an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder for Alex could help.    

I actually think we could be a better team next year even with some growing pains from Mahomes because we should be able to add in more talent, get Berry and Conley all without losing any unreplaceable parts of our team.

Nice take. I didn't consider salary with Conley. As for Mitchell, please put up road blocks between his house and KCI. We can't lose him next year.

I like him but its a contract year for him correct? I guess it all depends on the money.   What do you think would be a fair value for him?  I would love to have Peters, Mitchell, and Nelson back as our DB core.     6-7 million a year?     I think I could actually live with that and it would save us a draft selection.     

Hopefully Vesch is better at it than Dorsey. Dorsey was a stud at finding players, but not so good at resigning them.

I wonder if Mitchell is a known quantity that will command dollars. Kind of feel like he is under the radar. Or maybe just hoping. He has given up a lot of catches, but we know he is the only place to go in 2 WR sets. You can't make a living throwing at Peters.

Don't know that I understand all the hate for Conley.  The guy is making pennies and like moon said he's a great 3rd/4th wr oan this team.   

As for my cuts -

Hali - We can financially afford to cut Hali next year and his contract is not worth his production.

DJ - He just isn't the same player.  Saves 8 million.

Alex - Traded for a #2 if his play continues like this.   Saves 8 million.

Dustin Colquitt - Love the guy but he's not worth $5million per year.   Saves 17 million.

We aren't cutting Berry or Houston or even Bailey.

We will need to find a P, ILB, DB, LG, WR, RB depth and possibly OLB depending on Fords season.

We could draft JK Scott in the later rounds of the draft for P. 

We have stockpiled ILB's and hopefully 1 of them steps up their game so worse case we need to add 1.

We get Steven Nelson back in a week or two and hopefully that will help our secondary but Terrance Mitchell is as good as gone next year and Gaines should be so this might be the biggest hole on the team.  I could see us picking a DB in round 2 next year.

FA.

We should be able to find a legit LG and WR in FA.

Leaving OLB as the lone spot that it would be hard to replace in the mid rounds of a draft.   Netting an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder for Alex could help.    

I actually think we could be a better team next year even with some growing pains from Mahomes because we should be able to add in more talent, get Berry and Conley all without losing any unreplaceable parts of our team.

Mitchell is a RFA. We get the right to match anything he is offered. I don't see any reason why we couldn't commit some money to this position group. We have very little money committed at CB. Peters will cost a fortune sooner than later, and he is definitely the type of player that would hold out, but we would franchise him before letting him walk.

Idk why you think there is no way we cut Allen Bailey. He's hardly a guy that's irreplaceable.  In his last 41 starts he has 45 COMBINED tackles and 2 sacks.

People get upset at the idea of cutting players they are fond of, but contracts are structured a certain way for a reason. There's very little dead money toward the end of most contracts for this very reason, and I believe Kpass was drafted to play in his spot. 6 million dollars is a lot of cap space to free up for releasing a mediocre player like Bailey.

We've agreed in the past that we need another receiver, a big possession receiver to pair with Hill. That said, I do like Conley, and I think he has a place as a third receiver, because he is a good run blocker and he makes the catches when the ball comes his way. I know someone else commented on his lack of production, but let's be real here, Reid's offense has a lot of plays designed for certain guys, and Conley is behind Hill, Kelce and Hunt in the pecking order, so I think his lack of receiving production has more to do with balls going the way of other guys than it does anything Conley isn't doing. He's not Randy Moss, but he's also not Sylvester Morris. He absolutely has a place on this team, and losing him to injury was a pretty big blow.

I think if we give Robinson a little time he will contribute Conley type production by Andy using his skill set. I like Conley. He's a stand up guy that's almost certainly a good guy tonhabe in a huddle and locker room. That and his run blocking will be missed.

Mitchell is a RFA. We get the right to match anything he is offered. I don't see any reason why we couldn't commit some money to this position group. We have very little money committed at CB. Peters will cost a fortune sooner than later, and he is definitely the type of player that would hold out, but we would franchise him before letting him walk.

Idk why you think there is no way we cut Allen Bailey. He's hardly a guy that's irreplaceable.  In his last 41 starts he has 45 COMBINED tackles and 2 sacks.

People get upset at the idea of cutting players they are fond of, but contracts are structured a certain way for a reason. There's very little dead money toward the end of most contracts for this very reason, and I believe Kpass was drafted to play in his spot. 6 million dollars is a lot of cap space to free up for releasing a mediocre player like Bailey.

6 million isn't all that much any more.   For a declining player sure you cut bait, but for a solid cog its a pretty realistic deal.  Just like people calling to cut Parker, who is a very versatile safety and on a reasonable contract.   You can't cut tons of guys and expect to replace them in the draft, fa or with someone like Kpass who doesn't even have a position and is very raw.   Kpass could be a stud in a couple years, think LDT on the defensive side.   We are going to have to resign Logan or replace him and FA next year looks like crap overall.  

With that said, if they cut him I trust the team.   

I think if we give Robinson a little time he will contribute Conley type production by Andy using his skill set. I like Conley. He's a stand up guy that's almost certainly a good guy tonhabe in a huddle and locker room. That and his run blocking will be missed.

I think when Mahomes is ready we are going to see a lot more production from our WR's because he will throw our guys open and make throws Alex won't.  As good as Alex has been this year, Pat is a different cat.  We will have to deal with more Int's but we will be a nightmare for D's.    I like Conley, Albert not so much.   I think Robinson could be interesting, as he has the talent to be a stud.

Cut all the big contracts on defense. I have not seen the Legend of Houston in 3 years. If Sutton is going to still be the DC cut the older injury prone high contract guys because he does not use them effective anyway. Dj for sure. He is another achilies waiting to happen.

6 million isn't all that much any more.   For a declining player sure you cut bait, but for a solid cog its a pretty realistic deal.  Just like people calling to cut Parker, who is a very versatile safety and on a reasonable contract.   You can't cut tons of guys and expect to replace them in the draft, fa or with someone like Kpass who doesn't even have a position and is very raw.   Kpass could be a stud in a couple years, think LDT on the defensive side.   We are going to have to resign Logan or replace him and FA next year looks like crap overall.  

With that said, if they cut him I trust the team.   

Yeah I'm a Parker fan. I was just saying that Murray looks good, and if he continues to develop he could give us a much cheaper option at FS. As it is they have a lot of money invested at that position. 24.8 million in cap space between Parker, Sorenson and Berry.

I agree that Kpass not being on the field so far this year may make it hard to expect him to start next year, but this is still a team that has cap issues. I was just naming players where we could cut cost, and have potential replacements already here that wouldn't require more spending or draft picks.

Archived