Who should we trade/cut at the end of the season?

Mitchell is a RFA. We get the right to match anything he is offered. I don't see any reason why we couldn't commit some money to this position group. We have very little money committed at CB. Peters will cost a fortune sooner than later, and he is definitely the type of player that would hold out, but we would franchise him before letting him walk.

Idk why you think there is no way we cut Allen Bailey. He's hardly a guy that's irreplaceable.  In his last 41 starts he has 45 COMBINED tackles and 2 sacks.

People get upset at the idea of cutting players they are fond of, but contracts are structured a certain way for a reason. There's very little dead money toward the end of most contracts for this very reason, and I believe Kpass was drafted to play in his spot. 6 million dollars is a lot of cap space to free up for releasing a mediocre player like Bailey.

Personally, I think Mitchell has done Ok this season but I would be inclined to find a talented CB to replace him tbh. Because if we do, it gives the opposition major problems when it comes to who they try to target. You have to make the choice as hard as possible for teams and if we can get a kid who has Peters ability, we'd be set for years at CB. 

IF we get a second round pick for Alex then this is how I would pick.

1st second round pick= WR

2nd second round pick= CB

3rd round pick= ILB

4th round pick= OLB

5th round pick= DE

6th round pick= G

7th round pick= P

Then I'd probably look at FA for an experienced QB to sit behind Mahomes and another running back if Ware isn't still with us. But honestly, If I was Veach I'd work my butt off to get us another third-round pick if possible because then that would really give us a lot of power after the first round is done and we could possibly snatch another TE or WR with that pick.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I think Mitchell has done Ok this season but I would be inclined to find a talented CB to replace him tbh. Because if we do, it gives the opposition major problems when it comes to who they try to target. You have to make the choice as hard as possible for teams and if we can get a kid who has Peters ability, we'd be set for years at CB.

IF we get a second round pick for Alex then this is how I would pick.

1st second round pick= WR

2nd second round pick= CB

3rd round pick= ILB

4th round pick= OLB

5th round pick= DE

6th round pick= G

7th round pick= P

Then I'd probably look at FA for an experienced QB to sit behind Mahomes and another running back if Ware isn't still with us. But honestly, If I was Veach I'd work my butt off to get us another third-round pick if possible because then that would really give us a lot of power after the first round is done and we could possibly snatch another TE or WR with that pick.

I'm 100 percent fine with Peters, Nelson and Mitchell are our top 3 corners next year. Then replace Gaines in round 3. We don't have a first rounder though so I suggest we sign a 2nd contract WR as well as a guard. i do think the next draft should be focused on defense.

I thought if we traded or cut Smith he would save 17 million next year? Colquitt is a FA after this year too, so he would not save 5 million, but no need to sign him for that much if we extended him. Hali and DJ needs to go. I would keep DJ though if he restructured to finish out his career here because he can be a good vet for the young LB group and still could come in fresh from not having to play as much too. Dee Ford needs to step it up or we need to try and trade him to a 4-3 team. He really has had a lot of time to develop but will he be worth 8.7 million against the cap next year? That is an area we can use money at in getting a solid ILB to replace DJ, OLB for Ford/Hali. Use some to resign Mitchell and then go after a good TE that would make Harris our 3rd TE. We can of course draft for any of these but we do need another run stuffer if they do not sign Logan after this year. WR is also an area where we can really use a true #1 type to put Hill in the 2nd or slot position. LG too but we have yet to see Ehringer and if he does well then we are fine. If not, we need to look for that because it will help out the LT and C so much and could really transform our line.

Logan, Colquitt, Sherman, and Mitchell are the notable FAs that Chiefs might consider keeping after this season. I don't thin the rest will make much of a difference in terms of money or roster spot so there's actually some money for a splash in the offseason if the staff wants a top guy and the obvious names should be enough to make enough cap room.

I hope we bring in #1 type WR in FA. Alshon Jeffery has a year under his belt learning this system with Philly. I think year 2 with us and Reid would be a good fit. He signed a 1 year prove it deal and has not lived up to it in Philly, but again I think he does better in year 2 with our system which is very similar. Because of this year, I think he would come cheaper for signing a longer term with maybe a team option year type contract. Sammy Watkins would be another one I would look at just to see if his potential can be brought out under Reid. That guy should have been a stud, but maybe he just needs a good coach/system to go to?

I hope we bring in #1 type WR in FA. Alshon Jeffery has a year under his belt learning this system with Philly. I think year 2 with us and Reid would be a good fit. He signed a 1 year prove it deal and has not lived up to it in Philly, but again I think he does better in year 2 with our system which is very similar. Because of this year, I think he would come cheaper for signing a longer term with maybe a team option year type contract. Sammy Watkins would be another one I would look at just to see if his potential can be brought out under Reid. That guy should have been a stud, but maybe he just needs a good coach/system to go to?

I would say by the looks of it Watkins is playing for a rising star at head coach right now. He may just not be the sum of his parts. It is bizarre, because he doesn't appear to have a weakness other than being injury prone. Id still taske him here in a heartbeat.

I'm 100 percent fine with Peters, Nelson and Mitchell are our top 3 corners next year. Then replace Gaines in round 3. We don't have a first rounder though so I suggest we sign a 2nd contract WR as well as a guard. i do think the next draft should be focused on defense.

Well, I'm personally not fine with teams targetting Mitchell every game and having a little success at times. I want two stud CB's back there which will then make the opposition nervous about who they choose to attack. I'd also go for one which has a little height to them, which would mean we would be able to handle them taller WR's if a team chooses to go deep on us. 

I agree about bringing in a top WR but doesn't anyone have any faith in Robinson? The kid just turned 23 so is still very young and his potential is massive imo. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if he got a few TD's tonight. 

This is why I have Sutton on the cut list. If it seemed like Justin Houston was dropping into coverage on an annoying amount of snaps this year then welcome. You’re a Kansas City Chiefs fan. I’ve heard that a lot this year that Houston is dropping into coverage more often when he should be doing what he does best and is paid to do and that’s rush the passer.

I didn’t know the exact breakdown until I saw this:

According to PFF, Justin Houston has dropped into coverage 60 times this year. That's 26 percent of the passing plays he's been on field for

•  

Note that’s 26 percent of passing plays, not all plays. That’s the third highest among “true edges”, according to the next tweet. So, yeah, he is dropping back a lot compared to others. Houston is a great athlete who can make plays all over the field and Bob Sutton knows more about defense than I could ever pretend to but I still don’t get why Houston drops in coverage that often.

The key to getting after the Raiders will be making life miserable for Derek Carr. The best way to do that is unleash Justin Houston on him. Let’s see how often Bob Sutton drops him into coverage tonight.

1. Smith, goes without saying.  Contract, $$ and the heir apparent in house

2. Hali.  Guy has been a non factor for years.  Cut

3. Peters.  Trade.  We can get a hefty return for the guy, and his temper/antics have me concerned going forward.  Get the value while it's highest and reload.  

4. DJ- cut/retire.  He's lost a step and he's just not a dominating force in their, misses too many tackles, doesn't wrap up.  We need to get younger on the inside anyway.

5.  I'm on the fence on this one.  Berry.  Good player, but can't seem to stay on the field.  I don't know the financial considerations of cut or keep, so I can't say if it would be good or bad business to let him loose.  Whether he stays or goes, I'm looking for a safety in the first few rounds of the draft. 

Offseason needs moving forward: RB, ILB, CB, S

I disagree about Peters and Berry. If the Chiefs get rid of Berry then they basically need to replace #1 and #2 corner while trying to upgrade #3 corner. No way that is happening and if you get rid of Peters then there is no way you can get rid of Berry who will be needed more than ever. He's really only had 2 seasons with injuries. The other season he missed was because of an illness that you an't count against him. Especially when he has bounced back from it and played at a higher level. Keep Peters and Berry because the defense needs to focus in on the line backer position this off-season, inside and outside linebackers are desperately needed. But if you are going to get rid of said players I think you can only get rid of one of those players otherwise you'll have the worst secondary in the league during a pass happy era. 

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017/10/19/16504278/guess-who-leads-the-nfl-in-explosive-plays-allowed-the-chiefs

With this topic in mind, I feel like the Chiefs defense is on the decline. Considering the offense stays the same next year with the exception of QB possibly changing what defensive moves should the Chiefs make to solidify and become better?

• 2 weeks later...

So yeah, as we move into the second half of the season this discussion will have to be ramped up. 

Trade

Smith

Ford

Mitchell

Sorensen

R. Wilson

Harris

Pierre-Louis

Cut

Johnson

Hali

Miller

Gaines

Colquitt

And I'd add Acker to this list if we don't see any production from him this season. All in all, I think if we don't make the SB then big changes need to be made. Get rid of some of the old guard and under-performers, and let's start building around our elite players like Berry, Peters, Jones, Hill, Hunt, Kelce etc. 

So yeah, as we move into the second half of the season this discussion will have to be ramped up. 

Trade

Smith

Ford

Mitchell

Sorensen

R. Wilson

Harris

Pierre-Louis

Cut

Johnson

Hali

Miller

Gaines

Colquitt

And I'd add Acker to this list if we don't see any production from him this season. All in all, I think if we don't make the SB then big changes need to be made. Get rid of some of the old guard and under-performers, and let's start building around our elite players like Berry, Peters, Jones, Hill, Hunt, Kelce etc. 

Mitchell isn't ours to trade, he's supposed to be a free agent just like Colquitt is. 

I guess this would depend on who you can get. I think I would cut Hali and Colquit. I would consider cutting DJ if he can’t regain form by the playoffs. Definitely cut Smith.

Resign Logan and Mitchell if reasonable. Let Ford walk. I can’t think of who else is a FA. Not sure we have anyone to trade.

I guess this would depend on who you can get. I think I would cut Hali and Colquit. I would consider cutting DJ if he can’t regain form by the playoffs. Definitely cut Smith.

Resign Logan and Mitchell if reasonable. Let Ford walk. I can’t think of who else is a FA. Not sure we have anyone to trade.

Trade Smith if you can.

As badly as we need pass rushers, I would not cut ford. Just my opinion

I would love to get something for him. Don’t it is much since everyone knows he is likely cut. 4th would work. If Veach can work a 2 or 3, even better.

Not saying we would get much, but all we would need is two teams to want him. His salary and age is an issue and possibly the chances of extension are, too. But it's not like he would not sign an extension with one in a trade but then sign with that team.

Archived