Our Dline got destroyed. Anyone rewatch the game?

I just rewatched the game. I really think J Houston is hurt. He was getting man handled on almost every play. Even Jesse James took him out of the play multiple times - we're talking about a TE here. Ragland was lost at the beginning , but seem to catch up to speed with the game. Remember he'd never played a game in the NFL since last week.

I thought the D-Line was ok...much improved defensive effort in the 2nd half , but it was too late and then the unlucky bs TD. Zombo blew up a few running plays he played solid. Not sure what we are to do with Ford...

Scheme really is an issue

Yeah...Sutton drives me crazy. Stats prove if you can pressure the quarterback (not even talking sacks) completion % goes down significantly. Chiefs were 27th last year in qb pressures but offset that by creating turnovers. Looks like we are near the bottom this year as well. Seeing Houston chasing tight ends 20 yards downfield turns my stomach. I just don't get Sutton's idea here.

I don't like the Bob "Soft Zone" Sutton approach either.  I mean, I can understand the scheme here and there throughout the game, but they never come out of of the 3 man front and rarely blitz.

It's the same defense if it's 2 and 5 or 3 and 10.

Part of the problem was linemen getting to the next level to block, IE our guys up front weren't doing a good enough job of keep those guys from getting to the second level.  The biggest part of the problem is our linebackers aren't good in a power game.  DJ is on the downside of his career, and we've got some younger guys in the middle with him that either aren't there yet or will never get there.  Sutton tried bringing Sorenson down from the safety position, and he's just not big enough or strong enough to combat that power run game.  For the record, I don't think Berry would've done much better against the Steelers despite being a superior player to Sorenson.  Our defense can really present problems for finesse teams, but power teams will exploit our inside linebackers indefinitely.  We really lack a nasty get in your face and slam your ass on the ground ILB that a dominant defense needs.  Heading into next year, I think that has to be priority number one. 

Part of the problem was linemen getting to the next level to block, IE our guys up front weren't doing a good enough job of keep those guys from getting to the second level.  The biggest part of the problem is our linebackers aren't good in a power game.  DJ is on the downside of his career, and we've got some younger guys in the middle with him that either aren't there yet or will never get there.  Sutton tried bringing Sorenson down from the safety position, and he's just not big enough or strong enough to combat that power run game.  For the record, I don't think Berry would've done much better against the Steelers despite being a superior player to Sorenson.  Our defense can really present problems for finesse teams, but power teams will exploit our inside linebackers indefinitely.  We really lack a nasty get in your face and slam your ass on the ground ILB that a dominant defense needs.  Heading into next year, I think that has to be priority number one. 

Agree. So Sutton played a game plan that does not work!

Agree. So Sutton played a game plan that does not work!

Considering what we lack at ILB, I don't know what gameplan he could've devised that would've worked.  We adjusted in the second half and stopped putting Sorenson down at the LB position and Pitt still ran the ball.  I think that with the personnel we have, there's not a whole lot that Sutton can do against a power running team like Pitt.  We just aren't built for teams like that. 

Considering what we lack at ILB, I don't know what gameplan he could've devised that would've worked.  We adjusted in the second half and stopped putting Sorenson down at the LB position and Pitt still ran the ball.  I think that with the personnel we have, there's not a whole lot that Sutton can do against a power running team like Pitt.  We just aren't built for teams like that. 

I think DJ should be benched for KPL, when we go into base defense (Run support). DJ can still cover, but his tackling/run defense is gone.

He is now a liability to the run defense. It has been very obvious the last two games.

And as far as Sorrenson goes, I'm not even going to talk about his performance.....Awful.

When your main ILB and Strong safety can't diagnose and react quickly enough to make a play, your Run Defense is going to suffer immensely...This combination of failure = SHITTY RUN DEFENSE.

I thought DJ should've been let go after last year following another season ending injury.  I've said numerous times that going into this season depending on a guy his age that's had 2 recent season ending injuries was a bad move, and I still believe that.  Also, when did DJ decide to try to turn himself into a slow human missile, and continually try to knock the legs out with his shoulder and not use his arms in any way?  A veteran like him has no excuse for not wrapping up.  It's embarrassing really.

Archived