5-0 to no playoffs

Yeah, this is strictly an institutional defect: Sutton. What's weird is that having this bad defense, for me, points glaringly somewhere else...Smith. We do not have the qb to win with this defense. We have seen Smith go back to his ways these past two weeks; and I heard it is because Smith's cryptonite is zone defense.

Can't wait to see Mahomes start for this team. Even if we, let's say, win the SB, I'd say thank you very much Smith and have a nice time in Jersey or Jacksonville.

Hardly smiths fault. He threw darts tonight.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watch him when he "pass rushes".  You might change your opinion.   Justin is my favorite Chief player.   What I've seen the last several weeks, and especially tonight, is alarming.   And NOT on Bob Sutton.   

He wasn't my favorite defender in 2014. Just really good, a strong piece set in a strong whole. He's overpaid for what he was capable of doing before the knee injury. He's the new Dwayne Bowe: Just good enough to make you second-guess your negative viewpoints about him, but then he disappears in the biggest moments.

That was your first post. That's how you introduce yourself? A Smith attack? Tonight?

OK.

It's not a Smith attack. Am I saying something negative about Smith or stating a fact? We all know what Smith is--for good or ill. Take it as you will, but do not get excited about this team because of the defense/Smith combination.

He wasn't my favorite defender in 2014. Just really good, a strong piece set in a strong whole. He's overpaid for what he was capable of doing before the knee injury. He's the new Dwayne Bowe: Just good enough to make you second-guess your negative viewpoints about him, but then he disappears in the biggest moments.

I disagree.  He was the 2nd best D player in the League after JJ.   You pay those guys.   Now if his health has doomed him to being just a guy, like it may have killed JJ's career, not much you can do about it.  

Hardly smiths fault. He threw darts tonight.

This is where we, as Chiefs Kingdom, have been tainted from so long without a good qb: we are easily impressed when a qb does what a slightly above average qb play gets you. In the playoffs, it's not the long bomb down the field that wins you the game, it's those 3rd and 8s when Smith panics and does not get us the first down--when there are options, especially--knowing we have a defense that will probably allow a team to drive down the field to have a chance at a score. He is not that qb and he showed it here. He could have won the game if he picked up the first down.

I don't know why people react so offended when stating this.

This is where we, as Chiefs Kingdom, have been tainted from so long without a good qb: we are easily impressed when a qb does what a slightly above average qb play gets you. In the playoffs, it's not the long bomb down the field that wins you the game, it's those 3rd and 8s when Smith panics and does not get us the first down--when there are options, especially--knowing we have a defense that will probably allow a team to drive down the field to have a chance at a score. He is not that qb and he showed it here. He could have won the game if he picked up the first down.

You are new, you don't know my stance on Alex smith. In not "offended"

However, tonight wasn't on Alex.

That's madness.

You are new, you don't know my stance on Alex smith. In not "offended"

However, tonight wasn't on Alex.

That's madness.

Oh, it was fatal error that got offended. My bad. But the rest of my post stands to your previous quote. I'm not blaming him for us losing; I'm saying he is not the qb that will WIN you these playoff type games. We've seen this twice in a row.

Sutton has been running this infuriating scheme for 5 years now and it's not going to change. He will not make in game adjustments, he will not move players around for matchups, he will not fucking blitz. The guy just won't do it. He is the ultimate "we will sink or swim with what we have" type of coach.These players aren't all trash as some fans suggest. Mitchell is a solid player. Sorenson is a servicable. Even Murray has some talent. But you can put 6 probowlers back there in a dime defense and a good QB is still going to find open receivers when he is that comfortable in the pocket.

I cannot wrap my head around this. It's crazy. I just do not understand why this guy refuses to come after the QB. If we aren't getting there with 3 and 4 man fronts, why will he not adjust? No one is asking him to go Jim Johnson here. Just make the QB uncomfortable once in awhile. Get in his head a little. Alter a throw. 

Not having Berry is hurting us. DJ not being the player he used to be is hurting us. Ford being completely one dimensional is hurting us. But I honestly believe that Suttons vanilla scheme and outright refusal to adjust any facet of his defense is hurting us more.

We were 8-15 on third down, many of them beyond 3rd and 8. We started 3 of 7. Our final drive ended on no protection on 3rd and 4.

Oh, it was fatal error that got offended. My bad. But the rest of my post stands to your previous quote. I'm not blaming him for us losing; I'm saying he is not the qb that will WIN you these playoff type games. We've seen this twice in a row.

Andy did no favors either. This game should have been over with hunt.

We were 8-15 on third down, many of them beyond 3rd and 8. We started 3 of 7. Our final drive ended on no protection on 3rd and 4.

Again, this is the situation stuff that makes qbs wins multiple playoffs and reach and win SBs or be one and out or two and out. It's like that weather joke/situation: the temperature is 8 degrees, but the wind chill is -11. It's the key moments that matter--especially when you have a bad defense. I don't know why you guys are or need to defend Smith to my point of him not being the qb that will get you those playoff type wins. Smith is great when the temperature is 8 degrees, meaning conditions are perfect...no wind. When there's a wind chill factor his mind turns to the mind shaped by the dysfunctional 9ers all those years ago.

My whole point all this time is that Smith is not the quarterback to win with this defense, Hunt/Lambardi trophies, that is.

I hope I'm wrong.

That is why I am not blaming Smith for losing. I am merely mentioning he cannot win those type of games. He could have won it.

Again, I have said my peace about smith. I agree with your entire take. Especially in the long run.

Just not tonight.

Again, I have said my peace about smith. I agree with your entire take. Especially in the long run.

Just not tonight.

I am pulling for the guy. Hope he proves many of us wrong.

----------------------------------

If Mahomes pans out next year, though, it could really help the defense rebuild or restructure. We obviously need another corner and some thumper in the middle. Of course, if Sutton was out, we could speed it along. Sutton is the same to my Smith point: when conditions are perfect, the defense works. However, when are you ever going to get perfect conditions? 

Also, on Peters...he's a good cover guy but he is a p*$$*. He does not tackle and he whines. If he was physical I would overlook some of his whining on the field. Our whole secondary is very, very soft. The only MAN we have in our secondary is out for the season. Soft secondary, with aging and shallow middle, and a coordinator who drops 8 in coverage--including your best rusher--is a recipe for the 2017 Chiefs season.

It hurts not having Berry and the interior oline in dog meat.  There is no getting Berry back this year obviously, but if we can get LDT and Morse back, things will improve.  We are 2 plays from being 7-0.

The defense is mainly on Sutton.  Dorsey gets some blame, too, for not bringing in better DBs.

It’s time to rebuild the defense after this season. Cut all the dead weight and the guys like Terrance Mitchell who shouldn’t be starting in the NFL. Gaines looked promising until his injury but he’s not the same player after. Murray looks lost and so does Sorenson. Hali is toast and Justin Houston ain’t the same guy anymore. DJ is too old and has clearly lost at least a few steps. Ford has sucked since he was drafted. Chris Jones is getting pushed around this year, and Logan and Bailey have been bad too. Can anyone tell me why the defense is considered so talented? It’s a legit question. Even Peters has sucked this year. Now either Eric Berry is the most important guy on any defense or this unit is extremely overrated.

We need to sign a WR and G. And then draft heavy on defense. We need infusion of speed and youth especially at LB. Mitchell is a very solid player though. He competed all night and that last pass he clearly was pushed off. Just as he was on long TD pass where he had perfect coverage. Get Nelson back in the slot over Gaines and it would help a lot. And now it's time to see if Tamba can actually help. I'd bring him back after Dallas. We beat Denver in ten days we are in great shape still. Lose that and yes we do have to worry teams have adjusted to us not having Eric Berry in deep patrol this year. Run defense is simply going to be iffy all season.

It looks like they're all playing uninspired. Probably something that happens when you play this pussy prevent defense shit all game

This is a good point.  It's not the entire reason, but one of them for sure.

And you know what else? Terrance Mitchell isn’t good. He’s had a few moments but mostly he’s been badly inconsistent. Not starter material.

I don't agree, he's good enough to be a number 2 which he is.  You aren't going to find all pro CB's at the #2 position on any team in this league.  I didn't think he was the one getting beat, I saw it all happening on Gaines or when we were in cover 2 zone and the middle of the field was getting gashed.

This is a good point.  It's not the entire reason, but one of them for sure.

Yup, no passion.  You see other teams defense want to hit you and make sure you feel it, we just kind of lunge tackle you and are happy the play is over.  I'm sure Sutton gives one heck of a boring pregame talk....

I don't agree, he's good enough to be a number 2 which he is.  You aren't going to find all pro CB's at the #2 position on any team in this league.  I didn't think he was the one getting beat, I saw it all happening on Gaines or when we were in cover 2 zone and the middle of the field was getting gashed.

Yeah Mitchell is solid. Really competes. Almost always right there when he is thrown at. You don't see him get beat badly much at all. Hes been a nice find.

Archived