5-0 to no playoffs

I said it on the Scout board and maintain the theory that no matter what Alex Smith does in KC, including winning a Super Bowl, there will be people that still hate him and find any reason to take credit away or blame him.

Alex Smith has done a complete 180 this year and we are 5-2 instead of 2-5 because of it.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless the D does a 180 we aren't even probably getting to the SB let alone winning it.

We are giving up 23 points a game. Only 1 team over the past 10 years has won it giving up that much in the regular season, the 2011 Giants did do a 180 who went from giving up 25 a game to giving up 14 in playoffs. No team over the past 10 years has won the SB giving up almost 400 yards of offense.

Alex can play at a MVP super bowl level but unless this D steps up, it won't matter.

I didn't suggest that there was a safety in the draft bringing a healthy Berry's experience and physical talent; to imply such would have been foolish on my part. However, do I think the Chiefs could have gotten a safety with a ceiling a little lower than Berry's but with much greater value? In theory, yes. I haven't watched enough tape on the players the Chiefs could have selected.

What I do know: The Chiefs have had one player from their draft class contribute this year. One. I'm not setting the bar at "starting", just at "contributing".

Teams rarely get more than 3 contributors in a single draft. I'm more than happy with a solid RB from a draft that we moved up for QBOTF and if a guy like KPass could turn into a decent rotational guy towards the end of regular season that's a great draft IMO. Every team has to stumble in the short term for such a draft move.

Unless the D does a 180 we aren't even probably getting to the SB let alone winning it.

We are giving up 23 points a game. Only 1 team over the past 10 years has won it giving up that much in the regular season, the 2011 Giants did do a 180 who went from giving up 25 a game to giving up 14 in playoffs. No team over the past 10 years has won the SB giving up almost 400 yards of offense.

Alex can play at a MVP super bowl level but unless this D steps up, it won't matter.

and there it is.  all any Chiefs' fans have said for years is get a legit top 5 QB and that's all you need to win the SB. 

As soon as we get one, it's defense wins championships.

and there it is.  all any Chiefs' fans have said for years is get a legit top 5 QB and that's all you need to win the SB. 

As soon as we get one, it's defense wins championships.

He's not saying we need the defense to win the championship, he's saying it can't be a bottom dwelling defense to win a championship with the fact that only 1 team to win it in the last 10 years gave up as much as we are now.  If we are in the middle of the pack defensively with Alex playing the way he is, that is a recipe for a SB but we aren't there defensively. 

I would expect that number to go down quite a bit simply because of our second half schedule. We get away from the Pats, Eagles, Redskins, Texans and replace with the Bills, Jets, Broncos, Chargers, and Dolphins. We need to play better for sure, but we have faced most of the high scoring offenses on the schedule in the first 7 games.

I said it on the Scout board and maintain the theory that no matter what Alex Smith does in KC, including winning a Super Bowl, there will be people that still hate him and find any reason to take credit away or blame him.

Alex Smith has done a complete 180 this year and we are 5-2 instead of 2-5 because of it.

All of this is 100 percent true in my opinion, especially part about being 2-5 without a QB playing at elite level. Just shows how impactful QB play is and why trying to draft a guy with Mahomes talent was. I will say this though. I think every fan base outside of GB and NE has a love hate relationship with its QBs. Silly, but just the way people are.

So, looking at offensive rankings for yards, the Chiefs sit at #2 overall. You can't play yourself so I'm bumping everyone up one slot. 

NE and PHI would then be ranked #1 and 2.  PIT is 5th overall and SD is 10th.  We've played 4 teams in the top 10 of offensive yards and had Carr not got hurt, OAK would probably be in that mix too.

I'm not going to defend the defense because I/we know they should be playing better and can.

Hopefully the Chiefs go back to the drawing board this week and start making the right adjustments and start pounding some of these teams like DEN that struggle on offense.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/netTotalYards

I don't know for certain without looking it up but aren't we always at the bottom in total yards allowed but we would be at the top in points allowed so our bend don't break isn't new, it is just breaking more than usual now.  That style puts a lot of pressure on our offense because they will get less chances and time to score which hasn't been an issue with Alex balling this year.  Only Pitt has the patience to not mind that they aren't scoring in bunches but taking up all our time while gashing us in the run game because they feel their D can stop our O on limited possessions we get.  It's probably why they are our kryptonite. 

I don't know for certain without looking it up but aren't we always at the bottom in total yards allowed but we would be at the top in points allowed so our bend don't break isn't new, it is just breaking more than usual now.  That style puts a lot of pressure on our offense because they will get less chances and time to score which hasn't been an issue with Alex balling this year.  Only Pitt has the patience to not mind that they aren't scoring in bunches but taking up all our time while gashing us in the run game because they feel their D can stop our O on limited possessions we get.  It's probably why they are our kryptonite. 

Yes, for the most part they would be in the lower half of yards while top 5-10 in PPGA but it hasn't been this bad.

The Chiefs gave up alot of garbage stats to PHI and HOU while being up 2 scores or more late in the game, but still, they need to quit playing so soft.

Yes, for the most part they would be in the lower half of yards while top 5-10 in PPGA but it hasn't been this bad.

The Chiefs gave up alot of garbage stats to PHI and HOU while being up 2 scores or more late in the game, but still, they need to quit playing so soft.

Actually, although they lost, the Texans provided the blueprint for beating the Chiefs: Throw 50/50 balls deep: This defense can't stop them, and they're more like 70/30 balls (see Steelers, Raiders).

He's not saying we need the defense to win the championship, he's saying it can't be a bottom dwelling defense to win a championship with the fact that only 1 team to win it in the last 10 years gave up as much as we are now. If we are in the middle of the pack defensively with Alex playing the way he is, that is a recipe for a SB but we aren't there defensively.

This. When was the last time a bottom 5 defense won a SB? I’m not sure but I’d wager it hasn’t happened. Chiefs need to clean things up to have a chance.

Looks like that GARBAGE HAIL MARY stuff.....is a very good approach against this defense. 

No pash rushing......Houston wasted......TEAMS have a just go deep attitude.....or run at will.....

I'll agree with this and you know I'm not a believer. He's been fantastic. But the main reason why in my opinion is that we have a running game this year. Defenses have to respect that and it keeps them honest.

Against Pittsburgh our running game was shut down and we became 1 dimensional. They basically forced Alex Smith to beat them and he predictably failed. Looked like Smith of old. And that's exactly what I expect to happen come playoff time.

So while he has taken his game go a level I didn't think he was capable of, the very best QBs are the difference makers who can put a team on their back when other areas are struggling and still come out victorious. I hope I'm wrong and we see someone shut down the run game and Smith able to beat them anyway.

Having said that...the Oakland loss was much more about our defense. We had plenty of offense. You won't win many games giving up 500 yards.

I'll agree with this and you know I'm not a believer. He's been fantastic. But the main reason why in my opinion is that we have a running game this year. Defenses have to respect that and it keeps them honest.

Against Pittsburgh our running game was shut down and we became 1 dimensional. They basically forced Alex Smith to beat them and he predictably failed. Looked like Smith of old. And that's exactly what I expect to happen come playoff time.

So while he has taken his game go a level I didn't think he was capable of, the very best QBs are the difference makers who can put a team on their back when other areas are struggling and still come out victorious. I hope I'm wrong and we see someone shut down the run game and Smith able to beat them anyway.

Having said that...the Oakland loss was much more about our defense. We had plenty of offense. You won't win many games giving up 500 yards.

You’re exactly right. It’s the reason why the same cluster of QBs has won the majority of the SBs in the past 15 years in the NFL. When teams commit to stuffing Kareem Hunt like the Steelers did, this team is likely sunk. And I’m not faulting Smith, he is what he is, and he’s played his ass off this year. But can he elevate the entire team in a playoff game when things aren’t going right? He has yet to show he can, and his playoff record in KC speaks to this.

I don't necessarily disagree. The running game hasn't been there as much as it was earlier in the year, but Kareem Hunt has been a huge boost to the offense and to Smith's success.  You're right about the PIT game, but didn't Smith carry this team on the road against HOU?  Hunt really couldn't get going in that game.  I know HOU isn't PIT, but it's still the same performance he hasn't given before.

I was just stating as bad as the defense has been if we had last year's offense we would be 2-5.

Actually, although they lost, the Texans provided the blueprint for beating the Chiefs: Throw 50/50 balls deep: This defense can't stop them, and they're more like 70/30 balls (see Steelers, Raiders).

I honestly wonder why more teams don't do this, not just against us but in general.  With the officiating being so bad, you're bound to not only get lucky and make the catch but also get PI called on the defense (especially underthrown balls).  I'm waiting to see the new offensive fad like the back shoulder throw in the form of the underthrown ball and getting PI called.... lol

I don't think the Pitt game plan is sustainable for other teams to try to duplicate, they were able to play zone and get pressure without blitzing.  Once/If we get Morse and LDT back, if teams try to do that and we have protection we will shred zone defenses apart.

You’re exactly right. It’s the reason why the same cluster of QBs has won the majority of the SBs in the past 15 years in the NFL. When teams commit to stuffing Kareem Hunt like the Steelers did, this team is likely sunk. And I’m not faulting Smith, he is what he is, and he’s played his ass off this year. But can he elevate the entire team in a playoff game when things aren’t going right? He has yet to show he can, and his playoff record in KC speaks to this.

This isn't at all how you play the Chiefs this season. It's the zone that's beaten us. When teams stack the box, Alex has KILLED them! Oakland was doing a good job of making us work for everything until they went straight man and we went 99 yards in two plays. This makes is very interesting to see what a heavy man defense in Denver will do. Also weve been playing with such a bad oline the past month that I've got to think getting these three interior linemen back can really help us run the ball. 

And what is the point? Derek Carr has one winning season. His team is in last place. We are in first. He had a good drive to end the game that if not for horrible officiating would never have happened. He had a fumble given back to him on an equally horrible call and a touchdown on obvious offensive pass interference that they initially called and then didn't have the guts to tell the crowd.

He has now "Succeeded" twice against us in his career.

In his best year ever he was 0-2 against us. And I'll bet you money right now that he doesn't "succeed" later this year. You can name the dollar amount.

Apparently you cannot read. No, that is not the point. I am not comparing Smith to anyone. I am only talking about Smith. Let me know when you are able to read and interpret what you read.

You know, we all criticize players for not being good players. I hold that same standard to being a fan. There are bad fans--meaning, they have low understanding and high justification. You can just go for your team and be blind to your team's flaws because it is your team. I get that, but that makes a fan dumb.

In your reply, all you do is talk about Carr. Lulz. Let me know when you realize I am talking about our own qb, and how I say he seems to not have those clutch plays that can overcome a bad defense or a good offense on the other side by making clutch decisions to keep that offense off the field. That's how you win in the postseason.

Playcalling went conservative as we tried to milk the clock and Alex dropped back to pass once in an obvious passing situation and the offensive line didn't hold up. Trying to place blame on one pass that never even happened is pretty shortsighted. Alex is the main reason we were leading the game at all. Just as he's a huge reason we are 5-2 and in first place right now.

That's you protecting Smith and justifying for him. I, too, have seen a difference in playcall in last 3 games. However, that last drive, Smith has to make that play and keep the clock running. We all saw how he gets the PTS persona back, and gets happy feet and dumps the ball off anywhere. It was like he remembered who he was.

And it wasn't just on that series. Over the last few games we have been seeing that Smith. You cannot just say it was that series. Clutch qbs make that first down and keep the clock going. He, sadly, is just not a clutch qb. That is why we now have the backup we have.

Archived