5-0 to no playoffs

One of my big frustrations with the offense the past few years is the reliance of YAC on third downs. When we get third and seven, we inevitably throw a 3 yard pass or a screen. Run a farging 10 yard route and throw it beyond the sticks. Drives me nuts.

I've been clear from the beginning that I have been referring to the past several years.  I've even referred to Maclin and Charles in my discussion.  I've also acknowledged that we have done better this year. 

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been clear from the beginning that I have been referring to the past several years.  I've even referred to Maclin and Charles in my discussion.  I've also acknowledged that we have done better this year. 

Ah, then I hope you enjoyed the first five weeks of this season, and I wish I could have confidence that we would be getting back to that soon. However, for the lack of Conley, the only way the Chiefs' offense is going to start converting more third downs is if the Chiefs' defense is doing its job so that the Chiefs' offense spends enough time on the field to tire out opposing defenses. You know, like the Patriots do when everything is clicking for them.

The thing is that the Chiefs were converting on third down this year. Then Conley went out. Now it's a struggle. The guy was underrated. Quarterbacks need players to throw to.

I was down on the Maclin release, but then I saw Conley doing many of the most essential things Maclin was doing, and I was content. Then Conley went down, and I knew before the end of the Texans game that this was going to be an issue for the rest of the year. Perhaps you think I'm being severe on my expectations of wide receivers, but a lot of them do indeed bust out of the league, some without hardly a whimper. If it was really that easy, every team would be converting third downs with comeback routes, and NFL over/unders would consistently top 80 points.

I think Robinson is going to prove a very solid replacement for Conley. They aren't the same and run blocking won't be as good, but overall production from position could.be very similiar.

I think Robinson is going to prove a very solid replacement for Conley. They aren't the same and run blocking won't be as good, but overall production from position could.be very similiar.

Or better. His ability to separate, thus far anyway, looks much better than what Conley has displayed.

That’s good article. I was searching for a place to find those kind of stats, but couldn’t find it. So hard to separate what you thought you saw from what you saw. It is for me anyway. I thought I was losing my mind because I didn’t Renner hardly any 3 man rush plays.

In the past I've gone back to watch games again in All 22, but it's too time consuming. I like that there are fans out there that are willing to take the time to do it. I never trust my judgement when watching a game live because you miss so much going on during the play. We're watching where the ball goes and nothing else.

Other than the Steelers game, I haven't seen that much this season. We were 8/15 or something for 3rd downs after starting 3-7 in the Steelers game, I think. I had to box score watch that game and so I remember looking at the status of third down in the middle.

This year has been a nice improvement. Until the Steelers game Chiefs offense was not only producing but it was producing how a good NFL offense should.

• 1 month later...

Archived