So WHO would you replace Sutton with?

A lot of folks are bashing Sutton. That's all well and good after how we've defended these last three games (we were bad at Texas too). But removing him would be a ballsy move so tell me guys, who would yall like to replace him IF Veach/Reid decide to pull the trigger? Are there any realistic names out there that you would like to take on the role? Because let's remember, We've still got a winning record under Sutton's guidance, so the decision would be quite huge tbh. I'm just trying to work out whether his tactics are the problem or is it just a matter of us losing Berry and the remaining players just not being good enough anymore?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rex Ryan might be able to do what Wade did for the donkeys or go get a young up and comer off of a team with a great defense, Romo was dissecting every thing we were doing before the play, Sutton is now predictable, unoriginal and makes no adjustments.

Rex Ryan.

Not sure Sutton is the huge problem he's portrayed as.  He does some things I don't like, and doesn't send the house nearly often enough for my taste.  I was a Gunther guy, OG Gunther, not the de-balled guy he was under DV.  I love gambling and sending the house.   

But When you lose the best Safety in the game, one who allows for the D to be flexible, your All Pro ILB has totally deteriorated and can't play anymore, and your Dominant Pass rushing OLB is no longer that, it's tough to blame the DC for not being able to overcome that  immediately   He didn't suddenly get dumb, just like the Pats Matt Patricia didn't suddenly get dumb.  

I'd like to see Sutton play more young guys.  He's too hesitant to do that.  

If he's going to "retire" after the season, I want his replacement to be a young, aggressive guy.   No retreads.   

I agree DBG, but Houston isn't done.  He's completely being mis-used as is the entire defense.  You're right too, we need to see more of the young guys on defense.

However, it seems on defense we only have 1 good DL in Jones, 1 good OLB in Houston, 1 good DB in Peters.

Berry's injury is killing us.

I think Nelson will be a boost to the 2ndary, but w/o a pass rush, any WR can get open eventually.  Not sure what Hali can bring to the table.

Sutton has ALOT, ALOT of work to do.  The Broncos offense stinks and Sutton better have the right game plan to hold them down and not get walked on.

FWIW, I wanted his ass fired long ago after the Colts playoff debacle.  I just don't understand why these coaches stick with their guys for so long when they can't get the job done.

Not sure Sutton is the huge problem he's portrayed as.  He does some things I don't like, and doesn't send the house nearly often enough for my taste.  I was a Gunther guy, OG Gunther, not the de-balled guy he was under DV.  I love gambling and sending the house.   

But When you lose the best Safety in the game, one who allows for the D to be flexible, your All Pro ILB has totally deteriorated and can't play anymore, and your Dominant Pass rushing OLB is no longer that, it's tough to blame the DC for not being able to overcome that  immediately   He didn't suddenly get dumb, just like the Pats Matt Patricia didn't suddenly get dumb.  

If he's going to "retire" after the season, I want his replacement to be a young, aggressive guy.   No retreads.   

YEP

The Berry affect is looking to be REAL!  Hell that play last week where brown scored may not have happened if it wasn't up to Sorenson.

I second the final line.

On that side of the ball I want a guy with alot of FIRE!! and  attitude.  The "we are gonna knock you around" kind.  SCREW THOSE GUYS WE ARE PLAYING!!

I think that is part of the problem with this team altogether.  They lack that physical, we are pissed attitude.  It's kind of a "AWE Shucks" kind of deal.  In the end this could very well be the reflection of the head coach, and why to me they always come across as soft.  

"If" they make the playoffs??  I think this, ho hum, awe shucks attitude, will once again be the undoing of the team.

A lot of folks are bashing Sutton. That's all well and good after how we've defended these last three games (we were bad at Texas too). But removing him would be a ballsy move so tell me guys, who would yall like to replace him IF Veach/Reid decide to pull the trigger? Are there any realistic names out there that you would like to take on the role? Because let's remember, We've still got a winning record under Sutton's guidance, so the decision would be quite huge tbh. I'm just trying to work out whether his tactics are the problem or is it just a matter of us losing Berry and the remaining players just not being good enough anymore?

gibbs

I liked the defense Greg Manusky showed us in Washington. I think Reid needs to not just hire his buddies and bring in some new blood. James Bettcher (Cardinals) and Todd Wash (Jax) may be available if their head coaches get canned. All three coaches have aggressive defenses that I think we could use. 

Sutton is not dumb.  I agree Berry being out really hurts this team.   However, this isn't a new problem and for that he deserves a lions share of the blame.   You don't get a pass for running the same scheme quarter after quarter with the same pathetic results.  If Derek Carr has time in our zone coverage D to sit back all day and launch balls down field and we can't stop that with our secondary.....then you don't keep freaking do it drive after drive.   You have to think on the fly and get creative and take some chances to force Carr into quick throws which would alleviate the deep pass and give our aggressive secondary a fighting chance.   

I don't think Houston is done.  I think part of it is he is mis used and the other part is he is tired and banged up. 

Getting Nelson and Hali back should help but if we keep playing this vanilla no pressure D our O will have to carry us this season.

The only way Sutton is gone is if Hunt pulls the plug as Andy is too loyal.   I do agree that a fresh perspective would help and a 4-3 D isn't out of the question.

Houston, Logan, Jones, Ford/Kpass      KPL could play in a 4-3.   DJ is done after this year and Ragland could at least be a MLB for depth.  We would and could address those positions in FA and the draft.  

I would not replace him with anyone. Houston rushed most of last game against a sub par Raider line and got zip. Ford actually faired better in that department. Houston is best at containing the run and making tackle. Also covering. I think he can get those moves back, but doesn’t have them right now. Houston is playing very well in those roles. If we send five and it gets picked up, Dirty Dan, Gaines, Murray and ILB of your choice will get eaten up.

I really think he is doing what fits our talent the best. We are just missing on making the turnovers that we rely on.

I would not replace him with anyone. Houston rushed most of last game against a sub par Raider line and got zip. Ford actually faired better in that department. Houston is best at containing the run and making tackle. Also covering. I think he can get those moves back, but doesn’t have them right now. Houston is playing very well in those roles. If we send five and it gets picked up, Dirty Dan, Gaines, Murray and ILB of your choice will get eaten up.

I really think he is doing what fits our talent the best. We are just missing on making the turnovers that we rely on.

The Oakland raiders have a top 3 line.

Top 3 line in salary. I am not sure Carr’s Doctor or Beast Mode would agree. They have not been very good this year. Although they looked good this week. Hudson had a great game. Good for him.

Over all, they have been terrible.

Nah, terrible is not a descriptor if I'd use for the raiders oline. Lynch is done. He's never been fast or had burst. He needs a gaping hole to gain momentum and then he is good.

Not sure Sutton is the huge problem he's portrayed as. He does some things I don't like, and doesn't send the house nearly often enough for my taste. I was a Gunther guy, OG Gunther, not the de-balled guy he was under DV. I love gambling and sending the house.

But When you lose the best Safety in the game, one who allows for the D to be flexible, your All Pro ILB has totally deteriorated and can't play anymore, and your Dominant Pass rushing OLB is no longer that, it's tough to blame the DC for not being able to overcome that immediately He didn't suddenly get dumb, just like the Pats Matt Patricia didn't suddenly get dumb.

I'd like to see Sutton play more young guys. He's too hesitant to do that.

If he's going to "retire" after the season, I want his replacement to be a young, aggressive guy. No retreads.

15 years ago our D.C. was Greg Robinson. Everyone called for his head. He was replaced. Didn't make a Damn bit of difference. We found out that Robinson didn't play a down on defense.

Archived