So WHO would you replace Sutton with?

15 years ago our D.C. was Greg Robinson. Everyone called for his head. He was replaced. Didn't make a Damn bit of difference. We found out that Robinson didn't play a down on defense.

Yahtzee!! Sutton has been really good since he got here at two things. Scoring defense and creating turnovers. Our issues recently defintely require him to adjust because the overall talent is not as good. He does need to mix things up more now, but he's very hamstrung by aging, injury riddled group.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of folks are bashing Sutton. That's all well and good after how we've defended these last three games (we were bad at Texas too). But removing him would be a ballsy move so tell me guys, who would yall like to replace him IF Veach/Reid decide to pull the trigger? Are there any realistic names out there that you would like to take on the role? Because let's remember, We've still got a winning record under Sutton's guidance, so the decision would be quite huge tbh. I'm just trying to work out whether his tactics are the problem or is it just a matter of us losing Berry and the remaining players just not being good enough anymore?

This an exercise in futility. Nothing I've read so far indicates Sutton is feeling any pressure from Reid or Veech. He's not going anywhere. Finito...end of story.

This an exercise in futility. Nothing I've read so far indicates Sutton is feeling any pressure from Reid or Veech. He's not going anywhere. Finito...end of story.

certainly not this year.. I had to chuckle at the Finito part.Dad used to say that all the time but we lived in Italy for a while

certainly not this year.. I had to chuckle at the Finito part.Dad used to say that all the time but we lived in Italy for a while

OT...yeah I just got through watching "Drillbit Taylor" and got a chuckle as well. Thought I'd borrow it.

you'd have to scrap most the personnel..bad move

I think Houston would be fine with his hand on the ground. Hes such a good run defender he would excel regardless. I think Jones would be fine as a penetrating DT in a 43 front. Kpass may be a great fit at DE in a 43. Ford can come in and rush on passing downs since its all he can do anyway.

Ragland as a true MLB in a 43 fits. Corners and safeties should be alright regardless. I don't see any need to "scrap" much of anyone that isn't on the way out anyway.

I think Houston would be fine with his hand on the ground. Hes such a good run defender he would excel regardless. I think Jones would be fine as a penetrating DT in a 43 front. Kpass may be a great fit at DE in a 43. Ford can come in and rush on passing downs since its all he can do anyway.

Ragland as a true MLB in a 43 fits. Corners and safeties should be alright regardless. I don't see any need to "scrap" much of anyone that isn't on the way out anyway.

yea maybe your right but  the big thing about Ragland was his new DC in Buffalo was a 4-3 guy and and Rag was supposedly strictly a 3-4 guy anyway..truthfully I dont think any Defense is strictly a 3-4 or 4-3 or anything ..too many sub packages to label a defense anymore... How bout a 2-5?  :P

• 3 weeks later...

Trade for Phillips if possible. I don't think reid and rex would get along personality wise. Wade transforms every defense he's ever coached practically over night.

Also would like to see reid relieved of game day OC duties. Sure he can help game plan if he wants, but he gets in his own way too often during the game. Great HC that players love, but not optimal OC. After watching philly, I think reid is the reason we shell up and play not to lose.

Wade Phillips isn't getting traded for.  The Rams aren't letting him go.  In hindsight, the Chiefs should've been all over Phillips this past off-season.  I'm sure he would've been just fine sticking it to Denver twice a year.

I would consider Rex Ryan.  Even when his teams weren't all that good, he still had good defenses.  Same philosophy as Phillips' defense.

yea maybe your right but  the big thing about Ragland was his new DC in Buffalo was a 4-3 guy and and Rag was supposedly strictly a 3-4 guy anyway..truthfully I dont think any Defense is strictly a 3-4 or 4-3 or anything ..too many sub packages to label a defense anymore... How bout a 2-5?  :P

I think his trade is more about his injury than what scheme.

And I think Rex's brash personality would be a good balance to Reid's lowkey type of nature. He also has a pretty decent record as a head coach himself so would perhaps be able to put different ideas on the table for Andy to think about.

I would be very happy with Rex's style of play. We see it at times with Sutton but haven't ever seen it without Berry so he might be unsure about the level of our defense or may be he knows our players too well as a weak bunch.

I think the Chiefs will look at a guy like John Fox when he gets canned in Chicago after this season. His teams have been excellent defensively everywhere he has been. He's been awful in Chicago as HC, but I'd take him as our DC in a heartbeat.

You think he's getting canned?  I don't see that

You think he's getting canned? I don't see that

12-27 record there so far. And completely the wrong guy to be in charge while they try and develop a franchise QB. There are some Jeff Fisher parallels here.

Grigson did hire him though, so who knows. I just mean that a hire like this would be good. Former HCs that may not have cut it there but earned the opportunities by being great coordinators. Maybe Chuck Pagano...who knows.

12-27 record there so far. And completely the wrong guy to be in charge while they try and develop a franchise QB. There are some Jeff Fisher parallels here.

Grigson did hire him though, so who knows. I just mean that a hire like this would be good. Former HCs that may not have cut it there but earned the opportunities by being great coordinators. Maybe Chuck Pagano...who knows.

hmm, didn't realize his record was so bad there. 

Archived