So WHO would you replace Sutton with?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When Sutton retires(he won't be fired, nor should he be, at this point), assuming it's in the next year or 2, I would love to see Al Harris as our DC.  He was such an aggressive, in your face player, and he would be as a DC also, I believe.  I've always liked everything about him.  I want a young guy, not a retread, one with an aggressive history as a player and/or as a position coach, here or elsewhere.  

When Sutton retires(he won't be fired, nor should he be, at this point), assuming it's in the next year or 2, I would love to see Al Harris as our DC.  He was such an aggressive, in your face player, and he would be as a DC also, I believe.  I've always liked everything about him.  I want a young guy, not a retread, one with an aggressive history as a player and/or as a position coach, here or elsewhere.  

Why? I mean he's responsible for the performance of the defense and right now it's ranked as one of the worst in the league. Now granted, the schedule has been tougher than a motherf#cker, but still, he's clearly made some bad errors and imo if the D doesn't show a dramatic improvement between now and January then he should be sent packing. We can't afford to be sentimental here, we simply need to strive to get the best man for the job and for me that man would be Rex Ryan.

you'd have to scrap most the personnel..bad move

Oldtimer is right. Although the Chiefs have the makings of a good D-Line, the rest would be abismal. Justin Houston, Allen Bailey, Chris Jones and Bennie Logan would be your D-Line, where Logan is just better in a 3-4. Chris Jones would move to DE, which would be an unknown as to how good he'd be. And of course Houston, who is best as a OLB.

I must admit though, I would be interested in seeing how Chris Jones and Justin Houston would play in a 4-3 as the bookend DEs. Allen Bailey would likely adjust fine, but the LB corps would be terrible. Derrick Johnson in his 1st few seasons with the Chiefs played OLB in their 4-3 and he was bad, even getting benched at one point. Ramik Wilson is likely the MLB, since Reggie Ragland and DJ have shown in the past that they can't be a traditional quality MLB. And Pierre-Louis I assume would play the other OLB because he's one of the better pass covering LBs.

Tamba Hali was also just an average DE before the switch to 3-4 made him a star along with Derrick Johnson. It's possible Justin Houston could survive the switch and play an effective DE role in the mold of Demarcus Lawrence the Cowboys. But ultimately, the Chiefs D would be even worse and it would take years to bring in the right personnel to make it work. Just remember the painful process of unsexy Draft Picks like Tyson Jackson that could have been better spent elsewhere.

Oldtimer is right. Although the Chiefs have the makings of a good D-Line, the rest would be abismal. Justin Houston, Allen Bailey, Chris Jones and Bennie Logan would be your D-Line, where Logan is just better in a 3-4. Chris Jones would move to DE, which would be an unknown as to how good he'd be. And of course Houston, who is best as a OLB.

I must admit though, I would be interested in seeing how Chris Jones and Justin Houston would play in a 4-3 as the bookend DEs. Allen Bailey would likely adjust fine, but the LB corps would be terrible. Derrick Johnson in his 1st few seasons with the Chiefs played OLB in their 4-3 and he was bad, even getting benched at one point. Ramik Wilson is likely the MLB, since Reggie Ragland and DJ have shown in the past that they can't be a traditional quality MLB. And Pierre-Louis I assume would play the other OLB because he's one of the better pass covering LBs.

Tamba Hali was also just an average DE before the switch to 3-4 made him a star along with Derrick Johnson. It's possible Justin Houston could survive the switch and play an effective DE role in the mold of Demarcus Lawrence the Cowboys. But ultimately, the Chiefs D would be even worse and it would take years to bring in the right personnel to make it work. Just remember the painful process of unsexy Draft Picks like Tyson Jackson that could have been better spent elsewhere.

There's is no way Chris Jones at 310 lbs would be a DE in a 4-3. Hed be a penetrating DT and a good one. Bailey or Kpass would be your DE's opposite Houston on running downs and Ford would come in on passing downs. Justin Houston will excel in whatever frront we hasve because he is an outstanding run stopper.

Bennie Logan isnt even signed past 2017, and DJ or Hali won't be on the roster after this season regardless of what scheme we run becaause we can free up 17 million dollars in cap space by releasing them.

Ragland has never played a regular season game as a 43 MLB so I'm not sure how he's "shown in the past that he can't be a traditional quality MLB."

Your corners and safeties ought to be able to play regardless of scheme so the group that would be most affected from a personnel standpoint would be linebacker. It needs an overhaul anyway.

We do have the personnel to go to a 4-3 fairly easy. Logan id's on a1 year deal and can be let go.

DE-kpass, ford

DT- Jones, RNR

NT- Bailey, draft/FA

DE- Houston, draft/FA

SLB- DJ, pierre-louis, dadi

MLB- Ragland, Wilson

WLB- Eligwe, smith

There's is no way Chris Jones at 310 lbs would be a DE in a 4-3. Hed be a penetrating DT and a good one. Bailey or Kpass would be your DE's opposite Houston on running downs and Ford would come in on passing downs. Justin Houston will excel in whatever frront we hasve because he is an outstanding run stopper.

Bennie Logan isnt even signed past 2017, and DJ or Hali won't be on the roster after this season regardless of what scheme we run becaause we can free up 17 million dollars in cap space by releasing them.

Ragland has never played a regular season game as a 43 MLB so I'm not sure how he's "shown in the past that he can't be a traditional quality MLB."

Your corners and safeties ought to be able to play regardless of scheme so the group that would be most affected from a personnel standpoint would be linebacker. It needs an overhaul anyway.

Exactly. I am thinking the same. Even if DJ comes back he can play the SLB.

Houston’s D is the worst in years.

Still better than the Chiefs. First year as a DC and you lose JJ Watt. Kinda Tough. I think he has a pretty good upside. We know what we have with Sutton. His "bend but don't break" defense is getting broke.

Archived