Lots of people come open on that play, but you can't say Robinson was wide open and Alex missed him, he wasn't even one of Alex's reads.  His first read was to the left.  Lot's of receivers come open when the QB never looks that way.  Not dogging Robinson, just saying it's not a valid argument on that last play.  The one he missed to me was Hunt coming open behind the LBers.  That play was there, and would have been there if he had waited a split second longer, but you don't know if his check down was supposed to be the primary any way.

Robinson gets between the two defenders and has ample amount of space for Smith to throw into imo. The top QB's can make that throw with their eyes closed I think. Perhaps I'm being harsh on Alex but it just shows everyone how good this kid Robinson is at getting himself free of his man and finding space.

Smith can make that throw, I mean you have seen him do that, my objection was the "wide open" designation. I know that is wide open in NFL terms if Smith was looking to get him the ball (which he will going forward), but if you look at the video at the point in which the checkdown catches the ball, that of course is going to be a lot bigger hole, and the defender abandons Robinson while Smith is looking at the checkdown.

If Smith uses his eyes and the play call goes to Robinson, I think he could draw the defender towards the check down and get it to Robinson even easier.

Now, don't get me wrong, the plays are never trying to get the worse option (checkdown) and we of course would not shy away from a bigger gain to fool defenses on film, but announcers have talked about how we line up in the same position often and do different plays. I'm confident that Robinson gets the ball the next time, either through the progressions being different on different play or Smith seeing this in the film room.

We checked down a lot, even on third down, but I think this year we are going towards the sticks or beyond and so if that were different down, maybe Smith looks for Robinson more. I think we were trying to burn clock and avoid sacks and getting first downs does that, but yards wasn't really the focus.

A good QB can weigh up his options in a matter of seconds. It's not like he didn't have time to see Robinson either. Alex backed off and had more than enough time to see him but failed again.

And Smith has done that before. I think he's a good quarterback. I wouldn't say great or elite, but I think we're exaggerating a couple plays. Those couple plays happen often enough that we won't call him great, but it's not an ability thing. Most all of us are anxious to see Mahomes to Robinson, but I feel that looking at the whole game can get to the same conclusions without talking about ability.

Smith can make that throw, I mean you have seen him do that, my objection was the "wide open" designation. I know that is wide open in NFL terms if Smith was looking to get him the ball (which he will going forward), but if you look at the video at the point in which the checkdown catches the ball, that of course is going to be a lot bigger hope, and the defender abandons Robinson while Smith is looking at the checkdown.

If Smith uses his eyes and the play call goes to Robinson, I think he could draw the defender towards the check down and get it to Robinson even easier.

Now, don't get me wrong, the plays are never trying to get the worse option (checkdown) and we of course would not shy away from a bigger gain to fool defenses on film, but announcers have talked about how we line up in the same position often and do different plays. I'm confident that Robinson gets the ball the next time, either through the progressions being different on different play or Smith seeing this in the film room.

We checked down a lot, even on third down, but I think this year we are going towards the sticks or beyond and so if that were different down, maybe Smith looks for Robinson more. I think we were trying to burn clock and avoid sacks and getting first downs does that, but yards wasn't really the focus.

Ok,  good points well made. Cheers. 

And Smith has done that before. I think he's a good quarterback. I wouldn't say great or elite, but I think we're exaggerating a couple plays. Those couple plays happen often enough that we won't call him great, but it's not an ability thing. Most all of us are anxious to see Mahomes to Robinson, but I feel that looking at the whole game can get to the same conclusions without talking about ability.

I think Pat would have found him tbh :D

Smith can make that throw, I mean you have seen him do that, my objection was the "wide open" designation. I know that is wide open in NFL terms if Smith was looking to get him the ball (which he will going forward), but if you look at the video at the point in which the checkdown catches the ball, that of course is going to be a lot bigger hole, and the defender abandons Robinson while Smith is looking at the checkdown.

You do know that plays are designed certain ways for a reason right?  I guess I would ask do you know what the actual reads on the said play were?  What the down and distance was of the said play?  Lots of factors go into the decisions on plays and who the main reads are.  If your first read is to the left, and you have 2 other reads(hence trips to one side) before you can get to your fourth read, you MAY not have time to get to that read.  Plus remember, when a ball gets thrown, players react leaving a lot of people looking wide open!  Like I said, the one that he missed on this play to me was hunt, not robinson.

You do know that plays are designed certain ways for a reason right? I guess I would ask do you know what the actual reads on the said play were? What the down and distance was of the said play? Lots of factors go into the decisions on plays and who the main reads are. If your first read is to the left, and you have 2 other reads(hence trips to one side) before you can get to your fourth read, you MAY not have time to get to that read. Plus remember, when a ball gets thrown, players react leaving a lot of people looking wide open! Like I said, the one that he missed on this play to me was hunt, not robinson.

Damnit! I was looking at Hunt, too. All of my talk was on him (watching distracted on my phone not zoomed in, didn't track who was who - obviously know where Hunt and Robinson line up but brain fart), but considering he went to the left (Smith rolls to the right more often) the play was designed for Hunt and he was covered at the time of the decision and of course at the time of the throw the defender reacted to the eyes and checkdown.

Damnit! I was looking at Hunt, too. All of my talk was on him (watching distracted on my phone not zoomed in, didn't track who was who - obviously know where Hunt and Robinson line up but brain fart), but considering he went to the left (Smith rolls to the right more often) the play was designed for Hunt and he was covered at the time of the decision and of course at the time of the throw the defender reacted to the eyes and checkdown.

LOL!  I knew you were smarter than that!

Question!!..can Robinson become a genuine 4th offensive weapon for us along with Kelce, Hunt and Hill if he continues to play the way he's played in the last few games? I heard someone say that in one of the Chiefs podcasts after the Raiders game. 

I think so especially now while all the attention is being drwan to Kelce, Hill & Hunt. Should draw a lot of single coverage.

This is as good a time as any to drop in the fact that I think Demarcus Robinson is going to be a really pleasant surprise to those of us (well, those of me) who weren’t sure if he’d be able to pick up the slack left by Conley. Robinson has extremely quick feet, good burst in and out of breaks, and decent speed. He also has the ability to track the ball in the air and adjust to it. There was a good example of virtually all of these traits in one play.

https://twitter.com/intent/retweet?tweet_id=922274745776787456&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-20551246882552799017.ampproject.net%2F1508794187431%2Fframe.html&original_referer=https%3A%2F%2Fd-20551246882552799017.ampproject.net%2F1508794187431%2Fframe.html&tw_i=922274745776787456&tw_p=tweetembed

This got marked down as an inaccurate throw from Smith, but it demonstrates what I’m talking about with Robinson. He is able to make defenders look very silly with his ability to stop and start on a dime. Watch that quick fake inside. The defender has absolutely no shot after biting and Robinson is by him in a puff of smoke. The throw allows us to see Robinson’s ability to track and adjust to the ball, pulling it in for a big gain.

While the throw isn’t great, it’s worth noting that Alex put it up there for Robinson to go get and trusted him to do so. Also (and this is big), Alex appeared to audible to this throw presnap. That means a few things:

Alex, from his own goal line, audibled to a deep shot down the sideline with his back to the wall. That’s just awesome.

Alex trusted Robinson to execute on such a ballsy play and believed that a one-on-one matchup between Robinson and a corner meant a good chance at a win. That shows a level of trust I’m not sure Alex had in Robinson as recently as a few weeks ago.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017/10/27/16556226/chiefs-alex-smith-had-an-unusual-game-against-the-oakland-raiders

The example of Robinson totally baffling the corner with his movement is what makes me excited about his role in the team. He's just a different breed of WR when it comes to creating separation and getting free of his man. And the more he plays, the more I expect him to express himself and start running more with the ball in hand and getting TD's. 

The example of Robinson totally baffling the corner with his movement is what makes me excited about his role in the team. He's just a different breed of WR when it comes to creating separation and getting free of his man. And the more he plays, the more I expect him to express himself and start running more with the ball in hand and getting TD's.

Yes. Exactly. This is exactly what I witnessed in preseason.

Archived