When we lost five in a row in 2015

A defense that’s dead last is also an important fact. It’s a recipe for failure, not sure what you’re arguing.

Not arguing anything. Simply pointing out the fact with this same defense we are tied for the AFCs best record despite a VERY difficult schedule. It's a long season with ups and downs. Also we lose you see the negative fans post a lot more and when we win you see them disappear for stretches. So Chiefs play really dictates this.

I don't get upset about it most of the time. But I'm also much less likely to overreact and become overly emotional overall about this team than you are. Just different personalities.

I'm not ready to bury this team quite yet or believe this is 2092 defense yet. There's talent here we didn't have there. Heck I may not bury us if we did lose 5 in a row because Andys teams in KC almost always bounce back from bad stretches. Maybe losing Berry was the smoking gun that held it all together on defense. Time will tell.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not arguing anything. Simply pointing out the fact with this same defense we are tied for the AFCs best record despite a VERY difficult schedule. It's a long season with ups and downs. Also we lose you see the negative fans post a lot more and when we win you see them disappear for stretches. So Chiefs play really dictates this.

I don't get upset about it most of the time. But I'm also much less likely to overreact and become overly emotional overall about this team than you are. Just different personalities.

I'm not ready to bury this team quite yet or believe this is 2092 defense yet. There's talent here we didn't have there. Heck I may not bury us if we did lose 5 in a row because Andys teams in KC almost always bounce back from bad stretches. Maybe losing Berry was the smoking gun that held it all together on defense. Time will tell.

I’m not ready to bury them either, I’m just concerned. Based on the last several games, the defense has gotten progressively worse. Now maybe the Oakland game was the worst of it, maybe it wasn’t, we’ll see. Watching that game though, I saw a defense that hasn’t been seen in Kansas City in some time. A defense that has no bite. No bounceback. No toughness. It brought back memories of a Greg Robinson defense. Perhaps the most concerning element to all of it is the fact that on paper it’s widely agreed upon that this unit has quite a bit of talent. So then why are they so bad? Scheme? If Andy Reid can’t recognize that Sutton’s defense isn’t working that’s a problem.

It doesn’t get any easier this week against Denver despite the fact their offense has been horrible. Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders (if healthy) are every bit as capable as Amari Cooper was last week. How they respond on Monday night will tell us a lot.

You’re comparing apples to oranges; the Patriots own 5 SBs and have perhaps the greatest coach in the history of football. It’s kinda different don’t you think? And the Patriots defense is still bad.

Erm, no I'm not. I'm saying that everyone and they momma were scoring on that defense and having their way. They were bad in all departments and the stats had them on track to be the worst defense in NFL history. And yet, by some miracle they totally shut down Atlanta yesterday and looked like a good unit. Moral of the story? THERE'S NO POINT WETTING THE BED OVER A FEW GAMES. Because good coaches like the ones at the Pats and the Chiefs, will more often than not find the right solutions. 

I’m not ready to bury them either, I’m just concerned. Based on the last several games, the defense has gotten progressively worse. Now maybe the Oakland game was the worst of it, maybe it wasn’t, we’ll see. Watching that game though, I saw a defense that hasn’t been seen in Kansas City in some time. A defense that has no bite. No bounceback. No toughness. It brought back memories of a Greg Robinson defense. Perhaps the most concerning element to all of it is the fact that on paper it’s widely agreed upon that this unit has quite a bit of talent. So then why are they so bad? Scheme? If Andy Reid can’t recognize that Sutton’s defense isn’t working that’s a problem.

It doesn’t get any easier this week against Denver despite the fact their offense has been horrible. Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders (if healthy) are every bit as capable as Amari Cooper was last week. How they respond on Monday night will tell us a lot.

"Why are they so bad"..erm They kept Pitts down to seventeen points when you take away the two points we gave them. And one TD out of that seventeen points came via a lucky deflection. Bell had a good game yes, but the reason why we lost that game was on the offense imo. Then we had the Raider game and again their first TD was a total foul. They were bottled up quite nicely after the first quarter and again the offense failed to hold onto the ball late in the game. Tyreek going out of bounds and Kelce not getting that first down was crucial in that regards. So luck just wasn't on our side at the end of the day. The defense isn't perfect, we all know that. But the way you act one would have thought we were the Browns...you're sniffling in that tissue box way too much imo.

I think the Denver game will be a very good indicator of where the Chiefs stand. Don't know if Nelson will be back but some starters sure will return over the break and sometimes lack of a couple individuals can hurt the game plan way too much and that might be what we are suffering on both sides of the ball. There's really no depth left and Gaines basically has a starting role which is just terrible for any roster. 

In six games we have played the number 1, 5, 7, 11, 14 and 22 ranked offenses. You can't ignore that when looking at defensive stats. The teams we played so far were a collective 25-13 against the rest of the league and we are 5-2 against them. If not for possibly the worst officiating I have ever seen we would be 6-1 with the one loss being a 6 point loss to the 5-2 Steelers wherein we gave up 10 points.

It's not sunshine pumping to say this has been a pretty successful run through a brutal part of the schedule combined with quite a few key injuries. Suddenly our head coach has done a terrible job. I do not understand people.

It's not going to get easier until we can adjust to whats working against us. We are missing an elite safety who is also a very good in the box tackler. Missing a good nickel corner who's also our best tackling corner as well. Both of our starting ILBs are coming off major surgery. And Dee Ford has done nothing since he returned from injury.

Sutton adjusted to slow the Raiders run game and they exploited banged up secondary. As poorly coached as Denver appears to be it won't be hard to simply use game plan that's worked and go with it too. No doubt we have to adjust.

That's what entire league is about. It's a roller coaster of adjustments because there is so much parity. And since we are clearly the best coached team in this division and have a QB playing at a very high level, I like our chances.

In six games we have played the number 1, 5, 7, 11, 14 and 22 ranked offenses. You can't ignore that when looking at defensive stats. The teams we played so far were a collective 25-13 against the rest of the league and we are 5-2 against them. If not for possibly the worst officiating I have ever seen we would be 6-1 with the one loss being a 6 point loss to the 5-2 Steelers wherein we gave up 10 points.

It's not sunshine pumping to say this has been a pretty successful run through a brutal part of the schedule combined with quite a few key injuries. Suddenly our head coach has done a terrible job. I do not understand people.

I agree, but we gave up 17 against the Steelers, not 10. No one is counting the safety, of course. Yes, that crazy bounce still counts.

You know what's gonna suck bad???

Sanders and Thomas will never be manned up against Peters. They will put sanders in the slot, and Thomas across from Mitchell, and throw jump balls all night long. That's what sucks...bad.

You know what's gonna suck bad???

Sanders and Thomas will never be manned up against Peters. They will put sanders in the slot, and Thomas across from Mitchell, and throw jump balls all night long. That's what sucks...bad.

It would be one thing if these guys were getting roasted. They've been in position on all these balls. At some point tide will turn. It's not like they are getting smoked. Except Gaines doing 360's. He's absolutely the worst db in football.

It would be one thing if these guys were getting roasted. They've been in position on all these balls. At some point tide will turn. It's not like they are getting smoked. Except Gaines doing 360's. He's absolutely the worst db in football.

What is a killer is he is so gifted. He is like a player whose name rhymes with Schm-artee. Don’t want to say it and jinx him.

So they don't have that thing called a defense? Or does winning an SB mean they don't need one? SMH please do the maths :D

Compare what New England has done this century and the Chiefs. If you can make a comparison. Who cares if their defense looks bad? They almost shut out the Falcons. We just gave up over 30 points and over 500 yards of offense. Is their a real question here?

Compare what New England has done this century and the Chiefs. If you can make a comparison. Who cares if their defense looks bad? They almost shut out the Falcons. We just gave up over 30 points and over 500 yards of offense. Is their a real question here?

Point would be well coached teams like we are make adjustments and can get healthier. What happens one week or one month or even a half season does not necessarily mean that's what you will be in January. And that certainly works the other way as well with injuries. We lost an elite playmaker and teams are exploiting that right now. We've got to find an answer or everyone including Denver next week will keep coming at us the same way.

Point would be well coached teams like we are make adjustments and can get healthier. What happens one week or one month or even a half season does not necessarily mean that's what you will be in January. And that certainly works the other way as well with injuries. We lost an elite playmaker and teams are exploiting that right now. We've got to find an answer or everyone including Denver next week will keep coming at us the same way.

EXACTLY!!..but some folks are so determined to convince people that our defense "is the worst ever", that they can't see logic when it's presented in clear daylight. 

Chiefs have deficiencies on the defensive side but it all can't be attributed to the loss of Eric Berry. DJ is a shell of his old self. Dee Ford is a one trick pony-speed rush and once in a while he actually gets to the quarterback.. Justin Houston is being used more it seems to drop into coverage than rush the quarterback. Mitchell is as inconsistent as it gets. Gaines is always around the ball but never seems to make plays. And it seems the Chiefs commit more penalties than in the past.

Who can deny there is a direct correlation between pressuring the quarterback and his ability to complete passes. Not talking sacks...just pressure. If the Chiefs do not force turnovers they struggle because the are so poor at generating pressure on the QB. Look at what Desaun Watson did or Derek Carr. Chiefs were 27th last year in QB pressure but were able to offset a lot of that by creating turnovers. This year they may rank even lower. This isn't the worst Chiefs defense ever...never said it once. But right now it is a bad defense that needs to change some things because we cannot give up 500 yards of offense and expect to win many games. 

Chiefs have deficiencies on the defensive side but it all can't be attributed to the loss of Eric Berry. DJ is a shell of his old self. Dee Ford is a one trick pony-speed rush and once in a while he actually gets to the quarterback.. Justin Houston is being used more it seems to drop into coverage than rush the quarterback. Mitchell is as inconsistent as it gets. Gaines is always around the ball but never seems to make plays. And it seems the Chiefs commit more penalties than in the past.

Who can deny there is a direct correlation between pressuring the quarterback and his ability to complete passes. Not talking sacks...just pressure. If the Chiefs do not force turnovers they struggle because the are so poor at generating pressure on the QB. Look at what Desaun Watson did or Derek Carr. Chiefs were 27th last year in QB pressure but were able to offset a lot of that by creating turnovers. This year they may rank even lower. This isn't the worst Chiefs defense ever...never said it once. But right now it is a bad defense that needs to change some things because we cannot give up 500 yards of offense and expect to win many games.

Our issue is that we are playing a style of defense intended to not give up big plays. And force long drives where ball hawks like Berry and Peters eventually make them pay. As such we led NFL in interceptions and were very good in both the red zone and limiting big plays. This season ball hawk Berry is gone and Peters just hasn't played as well. Worse is that we are now giving up long passes the defensive scheme is supposed to stop.

We are forcing a ton of incompletions but that's not good enough. Peters is certainly capable of playing much better. That would help. And Gaines is a complete disaster that could be replaced by Nelson quickly if his body holds up. Again that's legit opportunity to improve at least the last month into January realistically. Plus maybe Tamba? And also consider both of our ILBs are coming off season ending surgeries last year. It is possible we could see improvement from both as the season progresses. Finally Sutton is also going to have to adjust as well. My point would be there is legit reason to believe the defense we saw vs Oakland is not what we are stuck with the rest of the season. If it is though, no doubt we are likely sunk.

Either way draft defense early and often next year. The Steelers reloaded ina hurry and we can too.

EXACTLY!!..but some folks are so determined to convince people that our defense "is the worst ever", that they can't see logic when it's presented in clear daylight. 

Do you have confidence that Sutton will make the adjustments to fix it or teams will continually exploit our defense?  Unfortunately I don't have confidence in Sutton, especially when we have no pass rush and Houston is roaming the middle of the field instead of rushing the passer, Sorenson is being used as our ILB on every play getting killed in the run game and our defense diving at ball carriers instead of wrapping up.   The defense may not be the 'worst ever' but they are regressing.

The defensive scheme has just been to soft and they need to get more aggressive. 

I'm hopeful with the extra time this week, Reid and Sutton sit down to ALOT of game film and figure it out.

The Broncos offense is terrible.  The Chiefs need to use this as an opportunity to pound on someone defensively.

For the most part, we've faced pretty good offenses with good QBs and talent.  Not so much with Denver.

I know the flavor of the week thing to regurgitate from Sports Talk this week is "This is the 2003 Chiefs' defense" and that notion is laughable.

This defense DOES have good players, pro bowl caliber players that the 2003 defense did not have.  The Chiefs didn't have 1 pro bowl player on defense from 2002 to 2004.

Andy Reid has like 187 career wins, I know it's hard for some of the fans, but let's give him the benefit of the doubt that he just might be able to help Sutton figure this out and have a good defensive performance on MNF against a bad Broncos' offense.

Archived