2017 Draft Miss: Zach Cunningham - ILB

Let me start off by saying that I realize that years down the road these Draft Picks could come around. But I gotta say, I'm not really all that happy with the way the Draft went. Sure, Kareem Hunt was an excellent pick with the 3rd Round Pick. However here is where I think the Chiefs missed badly:

2ND ROUND PICK - TANOH KPASSAGNON/DT

Just 2 Picks prior to this pick, the Texans took Zach Cunningham at ILB, which going into the Draft, this was arguably the biggest need. The fact that the Chiefs traded for Reggie Ragland proves this. Cunningham is performing very well in Houston and would be a huge weapon for the Chiefs Defense. Dan Feeney, Justin Willis are examples of other options available.

Let me see if I understand. You arent all that happy with how a draft that netted us Patrick Mahomes and Kareem Hunt went because we missed out on a player that was unavailable to us when we were on the clock in round 2?

Mmmmmmkay.

Its ketchup. There usually isn't reason behind the thought

Let me see if I understand. You arent all that happy with how a draft that netted us Patrick Mahomes and Kareem Hunt went because we missed out on a player that was unavailable to us when we were on the clock in round 2?

Mmmmmmkay.

Loved this draft whether Mahomes pans out or not ( and I'm confident he will!). We said no more status quo and went for greatness. Even Tanoh is a product but with huge upside. Kareem alone makes this draft solid already.

Loved this draft whether Mahomes pans out or not ( and I'm confident he will!). We said no more status quo and went for greatness. Even Tanoh is a product but with huge upside. Kareem alone makes this draft solid already.

Agreed. Kareem seals it. Plus we got Mahomes who is the QBOF we have all wanted. Kpass, Chesson and Eligwe have great upside. I loved this draft.

Eligwe is a guy I think could push for a starting spot next year.  He's a straight up baller!   Tanoh will start coming around next year and in 2019 will be an absolute beast opposite Chris Jones.   I don't even question the draft picks anymore they have been so good.  This draft will go down for us like the draft the Cowboys had that started that incredible run in the 90's.   

Eligwe is a guy I think could push for a starting spot next year. He's a straight up baller! Tanoh will start coming around next year and in 2019 will be an absolute beast opposite Chris Jones. I don't even question the draft picks anymore they have been so good. This draft will go down for us like the draft the Cowboys had that started that incredible run in the 90's.

Tanoh will play OLB and compliment Houston

It's Hinz, not Heinz, dimwit. And again, I'm talking about the 2nd Round Pick, Tanoh Kpassagnon. Overall the Draft was a success, but like the Chiefs traded up to get their man in Kareem Hunt, I really was hoping the Chiefs would've done the same to address the ILB position, with Zach Cunningham. Cunningham is looking like a gem, along with Deshaun Watson down in Houston.

Eligwe was supposedly the Draft Pick to address the ILB weakness, yet we only ever see him on Special Teams. Furthermore, the Chiefs felt necessary to acquire Reggie Ragland to fill this role that it seems like Eligwe isn't ready to fill. Had the Chiefs just used the very pick given to Buffalo for Ragland, to move up if needed, to select Cunningham.

Not to mention if Kpassagnon is supposed to be playing next to Chris Jones and dominating with him, it seems to me like we'd see Kpassagnon playing even a little bit. But instead, he never leaves the bench. To me, it's just not a good sign for a 2nd Round Pick being used so little. Afterall, he's not a QB that can benefit by learning the Offense by backing up the Starting QB, like Pat Mahomes is to Alex Smith. If Kpassagnon is supposed to start next year, you'd think he'd see the field at least a little bit. But we aren't, and for very good reason. He apparently isn't viewed as being good enough to play.

It's Hinz, not Heinz, dimwit. And again, I'm talking about the 2nd Round Pick, Tanoh Kpassagnon. Overall the Draft was a success, but like the Chiefs traded up to get their man in Kareem Hunt, I really was hoping the Chiefs would've done the same to address the ILB position, with Zach Cunningham. Cunningham is looking like a gem, along with Deshaun Watson down in Houston.

Eligwe was supposedly the Draft Pick to address the ILB weakness, yet we only ever see him on Special Teams. Furthermore, the Chiefs felt necessary to acquire Reggie Ragland to fill this role that it seems like Eligwe isn't ready to fill. Had the Chiefs just used the very pick given to Buffalo for Ragland, to move up if needed, to select Cunningham.

Not to mention if Kpassagnon is supposed to be playing next to Chris Jones and dominating with him, it seems to me like we'd see Kpassagnon playing even a little bit. But instead, he never leaves the bench. To me, it's just not a good sign for a 2nd Round Pick being used so little. Afterall, he's not a QB that can benefit by learning the Offense by backing up the Starting QB, like Pat Mahomes is to Alex Smith. If Kpassagnon is supposed to start next year, you'd think he'd see the field at least a little bit. But we aren't, and for very good reason. He apparently isn't viewed as being good enough to play.

Jones himself did not play much at the beginning of the year and he was our top pick last year. He got better and was used more as time went on. Some take time to develop and maybe they are looking on not only gaining weight and strength but learning the 3-4 system. You also have Bailey, Jones, Logan, Nunez etc on the depth chart which means he does not need to be rushed. I believe last year for Jones was more because of injuries that he really got more playing time as it went on and the fazct he started doing so well.

2015 NFL draft.  We took Mitch Morris.   Not happy about it.   Yes both these lb were 5 picks ahead but so what.  They are both impact players.  Don't know where Mitch Morris ranks but common.  He's a center.  sheesh.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-round/dt-by-round-input:2

Eric Kendricks Minnesota. http://www.startribune.com/eric-kendricks-makes-biggest-splash-in-the-middle-of-vikings-defensive-chaos/443349373/

Benardick Mckinney. http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texans/article/Benardrick-McKinney-developing-into-top-11260181.php

2015 NFL draft.  We took Mitch Morris.   Not happy about it.   Yes both these lb were 5 picks ahead but so what.  They are both impact players.  Don't know where Mitch Morris ranks but common.  He's a center.  sheesh.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-round/dt-by-round-input:2

Eric Kendricks Minnesota. http://www.startribune.com/eric-kendricks-makes-biggest-splash-in-the-middle-of-vikings-defensive-chaos/443349373/

Benardick Mckinney. http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texans/article/Benardrick-McKinney-developing-into-top-11260181.php

yawn.

Mmmmmmkay.

This is silly. Hunt has done something. Mahomes has done

n

o

t

h

i

n

g

These two shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence until Mahomes has earned something in this league. And if the Chiefs could trade up for Mahomes in the first round, they certainly could have traded up for Cunningham in the second. There's no question that the Chiefs are suffering in their front seven.

Archived