Andy Reid Holding Back?

So this thought dawned on me when I was trying to figure out why the Chiefs looked so different Offensively in the 1st few games versus now.

And knowing how troublesome the Steelers have been and assuming the Raiders wouldn't need Andy Reid's top plays to win, it really seems like Andy Reid is holding back alot of the top plays that were used against teams like the Patriots and Eagles for example.

I've noticed that Andy Reid has called many average plays, only dialing up his top plays in times of need, like against Houston when they needed to put the game away. None of the top plays Reid has used earlier are being used now. And it could be pretty genius. Next time the Chiefs see the Steelers, you'll likely see more plays like we saw against New England.

With that being said, does anyone else seen any merit to this? Is it possible?

No, it’s nothing conceptual on Reid’s part, he just can’t seem to get out of his own way sometimes. For instance, the Kelce in the backfield pass which worked so well in the first few games hasn’t been seen since, go figure. The reality is that the Chiefs playbook is massive, and Reid is always trying to find new stuff, which means we may not see a lot of the same.

No, it’s nothing conceptual on Reid’s part, he just can’t seem to get out of his own way sometimes. For instance, the Kelce in the backfield pass which worked so well in the first few games hasn’t been seen since, go figure. The reality is that the Chiefs playbook is massive, and Reid is always trying to find new stuff, which means we may not see a lot of the same.

That Kelce play was basically called unstoppable by a few guys on the NFL Network a few weeks ago because of all the playmaking options in motion there. It is odd we haven't seen it in a while.

It's been 5 years, Reid has needed to give up play calling for awhile. Focus on being a HC and clock management. Sometimes you have to let go of things to get to the next level.

I agree with this. Reid has been a terrible HC this season and that's hurting on both sides of the ball. Not sure if they can find a competent OC at this point of the season but that has to be a top 3 coaching priority for the Chiefs. The alternative is a very hands-on GM which is a little too outdated at this point. 

Every player can make a mistake but when your star CB or TE are consistently making boneheaded mistakes there's really only one guy in the organization that's to blame. 

I agree with this. Reid has been a terrible HC this season and that's hurting on both sides of the ball. Not sure if they can find a competent OC at this point of the season but that has to be a top 3 coaching priority for the Chiefs. The alternative is a very hands-on GM which is a little too outdated at this point.

Every player can make a mistake but when your star CB or TE are consistently making boneheaded mistakes there's really only one guy in the organization that's to blame.

If 5-2 is terrible what's great? 1-5?

If 5-2 is terrible what's great? 1-5?

5-2 has more to do with Reid being an OC rather than a HC. They have different jobs and Reid has never been able to do both of them simultaneously at a decent level. We could have easily added another one or two losses to that record due to bad head coaching this year. 

5-2 has more to do with Reid being an OC rather than a HC. They have different jobs and Reid has never been able to do both of them simultaneously at a decent level. We could have easily added another one or two losses to that record due to bad head coaching this year.

This makes no sense to me. He is #2 in wins amount active coaches and #10 all time in wins. Are you saying he wasn’t calling the plays in Pliiy? I think an argument could be made that he struggled with the GM role being heaped on, but not the argument you are making.

This makes no sense to me. He is #2 in wins amount active coaches and #10 all time in wins. Are you saying he wasn’t calling the plays in Pliiy? I think an argument could be made that he struggled with the GM role being heaped on, but not the argument you are making.

Don't know or care about his Philly past but looking at his KC days he had a good OC with him for 3 years before he left for a HC role. Over the last 1.5 years Reid didn't have a decent OC next to him and Chiefs have been either lacking on offense or in details like team discipline, or both in some cases. It's obvious that Reid cannot handle both roles at the same time and we'll see more of Kelce's antics and such on the field unless some action is taken. 

I have no idea if he was able to handle multiple roles in the past, he could have walked on water for all I care but that doesn't help us out today. In 2016 Chiefs had a terrible offense, in 2017 the offense seems to be a lot better for the most part (great in some cases) but way too many dumb penalties and quite a bit of players looking worse than they used to be. 

Don't know or care about his Philly past but looking at his KC days he had a good OC with him for 3 years before he left for a HC role. Over the last 1.5 years Reid didn't have a decent OC next to him and Chiefs have been either lacking on offense or in details like team discipline, or both in some cases. It's obvious that Reid cannot handle both roles at the same time and we'll see more of Kelce's antics and such on the field unless some action is taken.

I have no idea if he was able to handle multiple roles in the past, he could have walked on water for all I care but that doesn't help us out today. In 2016 Chiefs had a terrible offense, in 2017 the offense seems to be a lot better for the most part (great in some cases) but way too many dumb penalties and quite a bit of players looking worse than they used to be.

Andy has done most of the play calling in KC. He through Peterson a bone, but was calling most of the plays first and second half. But what is confusing is that our offense is much more productive now than it was with DP here. This year is the most productive offense Andy has ever had here. Isn’t that the opposite of what your saying? I am not trying to be argumentative, I just don’t get it.

Andy has done most of the play calling in KC. He through Peterson a bone, but was calling most of the plays first and second half. But what is confusing is that our offense is much more productive now than it was with DP here. This year is the most productive offense Andy has ever had here. Isn’t that the opposite of what your saying? I am not trying to be argumentative, I just don’t get it.

The offense is not only far better but probably the best we had in a while (excluding some parts of a couple games). However we have a lot more issues in areas that the HC should be handling, such as clock management, player development, Peters/Kelce problems, staff management (especially the trainers). Reid isn't only responsible of the offense, he's responsible of the entire team by himself and through his proxies (some of which seem useless so far). 

The offense is not only far better but probably the best we had in a while (excluding some parts of a couple games). However we have a lot more issues in areas that the HC should be handling, such as clock management, player development, Peters/Kelce problems, staff management (especially the trainers). Reid isn't only responsible of the offense, he's responsible of the entire team by himself and through his proxies (some of which seem useless so far). 

I'm not seeing any of this either.  Since Reid's gotten here all the drafts have been pretty good with multiple players panning out as starters.  Player development has never been an issue.  For every Dee Ford taken there's been an LDT that blossomed un-expectedly.

clock management has gotten much better past 2 seasons. 

Injuries are part of the game and completely unpredictable no matter what sports talk radio or Twitter says. 

It's funny to see what people think or will say after 2 losses in a row.

So to be clear, you want the head coach to focus more on the trainers and the Peters/Kelce problems and less on the offense?

I'm not seeing any of this either.  Since Reid's gotten here all the drafts have been pretty good with multiple players panning out as starters.  Player development has never been an issue.  For every Dee Ford taken there's been an LDT that blossomed un-expectedly.

clock management has gotten much better past 2 seasons. 

Injuries are part of the game and completely unpredictable no matter what sports talk radio or Twitter says. 

It's funny to see what people think or will say after 2 losses in a row.

Not sure if the clock/TO management got better over the past 2 seasons, we just keep seeing the same mistakes. However the player development sure has taken a step back this year. None of our DBs, OL, LBs progressed a bit with most of them actually regressing. RB has been an area of strength for this regime as there has always been exciting guys and this year is no different. 

I don't know whether it was Dorsey's or Reid's job to manage the coaching staff but right now whatever the dynamic is it's not working. I don't mind the losses, not only they are a part of the game but also necessary to get better. What is frustrating for me is to see the same obvious mistakes repeated over and over again with no interference from the person in charge.

Looking over the entire era the playcalling seems to be the best in this season but while focusing on the OC duties Reid seems to have ignored some major HC responsibilities. I want the Chiefs to have a good HC and a good OC simultaneously. If a singe guy can handle both that's great, if not I want a dynamic that will not neglect either position. 

I simply want both duties to be handled with great care.

What gives you any indication that they are not? Travis Kelce has three penalties all year and none since week three. He's on pace for 1000 yards receiving and 7 touchdowns. Peters has been quiet of late. He has 4 penalties all year and has played really well lately.

And I don't think there is any evidence whatsoever that our injuries are related to poor trainers. And I seriously doubt that trainer management is a focus of any NFL head coach.

What gives you any indication that they are not? Travis Kelce has three penalties all year and none since week three. He's on pace for 1000 yards receiving and 7 touchdowns. Peters has been quiet of late. He has 4 penalties all year and has played really well lately.

And I don't think there is any evidence whatsoever that our injuries are related to poor trainers. And I seriously doubt that trainer management is a focus of any NFL head coach.

Kelce issues are just an example. As I pointed out earlier there seems to be a major dropoff in team discipline IMO. More players are trying to make the highlights and seem to be playing for themselves, mostly on the defensive side. Don't know if some guys are finding it hard to get motivated but they sure are slacking. 

Trainer management as well as positional coaches are duties of the HC. Some positional coaches don't seem to have been doing their jobs well this year and it's showing, someone needs to take action. Unless Chiefs have a different dynamic that someone is Reid. If focusing on the playbook and such isn't leaving him enough time than that's a concern, if the problem is something else then someone needs to fix it.

Kelce issues are just an example. As I pointed out earlier there seems to be a major dropoff in team discipline IMO. More players are trying to make the highlights and seem to be playing for themselves, mostly on the defensive side. Don't know if some guys are finding it hard to get motivated but they sure are slacking. 

Trainer management as well as positional coaches are duties of the HC. Some positional coaches don't seem to have been doing their jobs well this year and it's showing, someone needs to take action. Unless Chiefs have a different dynamic that someone is Reid. If focusing on the playbook and such isn't leaving him enough time than that's a concern, if the problem is something else then someone needs to fix it.

I think Geoff Schwartz was tweeting during the game 'you know you are allowed to use your arms to tackle right' which is what I was thinking the entire game.  I think you are right that our defense especially all of a sudden is soft and fundamentally piss poor right now.  

Archived