Steven Nelson..how highly do you rate him?

Andy Reid just said he'll be practising again this week and could play against Denver. So I just wanted to know how do yall rate this guy? Gaines get's a lot of hate of course but no-one really talks about Nelson that much. Does he come back and play that nickel role or do we put him where Mitchell is? I'm just happy that we're gonna have another option back there and hopefully, his presence will help to improve things a little.

Andy Reid just said he'll be practising again this week and could play against Denver. So I just wanted to know how do yall rate this guy? Gaines get's a lot of hate of course but no-one really talks about Nelson that much. Does he come back and play that nickel role or do we put him where Mitchell is? I'm just happy that we're gonna have another option back there and hopefully, his presence will help to improve things a little.

This is an ascending player (only 24) that is our best tackler from the cornerback position and already very solid in both the slot and outside. He's by far our best slot guy so if he could come back in earnest it helps quite a bit. But he is not eligible to return to game action until week 10. 

This is an ascending player (only 24) that is our best tackler from the cornerback position and already very solid in both the slot and outside. He's by far our best slot guy so if he could come back in earnest it helps quite a bit. But he is not eligible to return to game action until week 10. 

Reid said he could play on Monday. 

He was starting on right side, moving in to slot when offense dictated the neccessity.

Outside of Berry, I think he's the best tackler in the secondary.

He should be an upgrade, but not the only one needed. WE NEED PASS RUSH!

We need a pass rush.

Doesn't matter who the CB is, without a pass rush. You can't play good man to man defense without a pass rush.

that could be physically  but not by rule.. what I got out of all that Coach speak was that he was wanting Denver to prepare for people that might not be even playing..just disinformation.

I could be wrong & I hope I am but my faith in  things looking up before the bye is not very strong

that could be physically  but not by rule.. what I got out of all that Coach speak was that he was wanting Denver to prepare for people that might not be even playing..just disinformation.

I could be wrong & I hope I am but my faith in  things looking up before the bye is not very strong

A reporter at the just concluded press conference said this...

oKlasyCo_bigger.jpgMatt Derrick @mattderrick
FollowFollow @mattderrick
More

Reid says there's a chance that Steven Nelson could practice this week. Because of timing of his IR, Reid says he could return Monday night.

We need a pass rush.

Doesn't matter who the CB is, without a pass rush. You can't play good man to man defense without a pass rush.

Our pass rush hasn't been terrible all season though, has it? It's not great, but we've gotten our fair share of sacks and a few tweaks will surely improve things. 

A reporter at the just concluded press conference said this...

oKlasyCo_bigger.jpgMatt Derrick‏ @mattderrick
FollowFollow @mattderrick
More

Reid says there's a chance that Steven Nelson could practice this week. Because of timing of his IR, Reid says he could return Monday night.

Yep. This is right and really good news. The old rule said 8 game weeks. New rule says 8 weeks from the day you are put on the IR. Hard to imagine a sports hernia guy not practicing for two months and being ready to go out and contribute his first week. But this is a really good sign. 

Our pass rush hasn't been terrible all season though, has it? It's not great, but we've gotten our fair share of sacks and a few tweaks will surely improve things. 

I would beg to differ...about the pass rush.

Every QB we have played has had tons of time in the pocket to unload on our DB's. Couple that with Mitchell and Gaines always being matched up against the opponents #1WR stud, and you have big plays all the time.

Peters is supposed to our #1 Pro bowl CB, but he only lines up against #3 WR's.  Mitchell/Nelson/Gaines have their hands full every game.

I would beg to differ...about the pass rush.

Every QB we have played has had tons of time in the pocket to unload on our DB's. Couple that with Mitchell and Gaines always being matched up against the opponents #1WR stud, and you have big plays all the time.

Peters is supposed to our #1 Pro bowl CB, but he only lines up against #3 WR's.  Mitchell/Nelson/Gaines have their hands full every game.

But isn't some of that stuff down to Sutton's tactics? Just have to hope that the guys come back from this little rest in a better frame of mind. We've come up against some good teams in this seven game run. People seem to forget that. And those teams were never gonna lie down and just let us have our way!!..the Skins, Pitts, Philly etc have some damn good offensive lines so it's not easy. 

should be a big help but we also need to scrap this zone scheme and bring more pressure with 4-5 guys

Well this guy certainly thinks so....

Gary McKenzie 

@Super_G_Chiefs
FollowFollow @Super_G_Chiefs
More

PFF rated Steven Nelson as the 5th best NFL slot corner in 2016. His return will have a major positive effect on the defense. Calling it.

Yep. This is right and really good news. The old rule said 8 game weeks. New rule says 8 weeks from the day you are put on the IR. Hard to imagine a sports hernia guy not practicing for two months and being ready to go out and contribute his first week. But this is a really good sign. 

sweet

Still lets be realistic here and give him about a month to get back into football shape before we can expect any real dividends. Still it matters if he can start practicing in earnest right away. I asked Tamba on Twitter today when he will be back. I'll let everyone know when he responds..LOL

I think he is our third best CB, but has more upsides than Mitchell. He is quick, but doesn’t have as good of feel for the game. He will be rusty, but needs to play and develop. He is an upgrade from Gaines, but Gaines has been in better position than last year. Of course he pukes all over himself instead of making the play, but he is better than the guy picking flowers while his man runs for a touchdown. Not much better, but a little.

Meh, our whole defense sucks.  Nothing will change defensively until Sutton is gone.  Sutton is ruining the best team we have had in years.  Here is a question I don't hear asked very often, why do we get so stingy inside the redzone?  It's easy to answer, sutton actually is forced to call aggressive plays.  

He did very well last year when our secondary had some attitude. Not sure if he'll come back at the same level but sure will help considering how lame depth has been. Besides at this point anyone could be considered an upgrade over Gaines and if Nelson comes back to repeat last year's performance he'll definitely be a great addition this year. 

Archived