Terrance Mitchell

He’s allowed 615 yards and 5 TDs and a passer rating of 99.6 this season in 7 games. In the Raider game he allowed 134 yards and 2 TDs. He’s definitely been picked on this year. I’m not posting this to bash the guy, but many on here talk about him as some great player. I’ll just say we need Nelson back, badly!

He’s allowed 615 yards and 5 TDs and a passer rating of 99.6 this season in 7 games. In the Raider game he allowed 134 yards and 2 TDs. He’s definitely been picked on this year. I’m not posting this to bash the guy, but many on here talk about him as some great player. I’ll just say we need Nelson back, badly!

He is simply a waiver wire talent and is easily exploited. How many pass interference calls does he have? 

Dolphins released CB Byron Maxwell.

QB David Fales was signed in a corresponding move. Their best corner last season, Maxwell has not been active since Week 3 in part because of a hamstring injury but mostly because he fell out of favor with the coaching staff. Despite a disappointing start to the year, Maxwell should find another team quickly. The Dolphins will move forward with Xavien Howard and Cordrea Tankersley at corner.

Related: Dolphins

Bring this guy in and sign him?

ouch, not good at all.  I'm not ready to just give up on the guy, I think if we can increase our pass rush like we had last year we will see an improvement from the secondary.

Getting Nelson back will be a huge help too.

I need a little help from those who pay attention and can remember games, but it seems like Mitchell will fall down often and will be looking for flags. I hope the Raiders game gets us in the mindset that we're not going to get those calls. I'm not saying that he fell down by himself because he was pushed but if there's anything to take from it, I hope he can. That coupled with the fact that we get called for a lot of defense of holding or pass interference, should give us things to work on.

I still don't think he's been as bad as the numbers state, the Oakland game alone we know the first TD was absolutely BS and I'm trying to remember the second one.  If it is the one where Cooper went all the way across the field then clowned Murray before going down the sideline to scare that is tough to put on any corner and is more an issue with the pass rush.  I also wonder if all those garbage time TD's against Texans/Eagles are included.

I need a little help from those who pay attention and can remember games, but it seems like Mitchell will fall down often and will be looking for flags. I hope the Raiders game gets us in the mindset that we're not going to get those calls. I'm not saying that he fell down by himself because he was pushed but if there's anything to take from it, I hope he can. That coupled with the fact that we get called for a lot of defense of holding or pass interference, should give us things to work on.

This I do agree with, if they aren't going to call it quit trying to get the penalty.  He should have known the instant they picked up the flag on Oakland's first TD.

QB David Fales was signed in a corresponding move. Their best corner last season, Maxwell has not been active since Week 3 in part because of a hamstring injury but mostly because he fell out of favor with the coaching staff. Despite a disappointing start to the year, Maxwell should find another team quickly. The Dolphins will move forward with Xavien Howard and Cordrea Tankersley at corner.
Related: Dolphins

I'd definitely kick the tires on this guy.  Ease in Nelson, then get Gaines off the field unless its on special teams.

Blatant offensive pass interference on both TDs against him vs Oakland. Those passes for Houston were basically hail mary's. This guy is a solid corner who consistently competes. He's not the problem. Gaines is. 

Blatant offensive pass interference on both TDs against him vs Oakland. Those passes for Houston were basically hail mary's. This guy is a solid corner who consistently competes. He's not the problem. Gaines is. 

The problem is Sutton.

Why in the hell are our #2 and #3 DB's always man to man on the opponents #1 WR??????

There's a reason that Mitchell and Gaines aren't #1 CB's. However, Mitchell and Gaines are going up against the opponents Top Flight WR every stinking game. So you have to give both Mitchell and Gaines some credit.

They're doing the best they can, while Peters, our #1 DB, constantly chases the opponents #3 or 4 WR all over the field...

(Okay..I think I've beat this horse enough...)

The problem is Sutton.

Why in the hell are our #2 and #3 DB's always man to man on the opponents #1 WR??????

There's a reason that Mitchell and Gaines aren't #1 CB's. However, Mitchell and Gaines are going up against the opponents Top Flight WR every stinking game. So you have to give both Mitchell and Gaines some credit.

They're doing the best they can, while Peters, our #1 DB, constantly chases the opponents #3 or 4 WR all over the field...

(Okay..I think I've beat this horse enough...)

I agree with both of your posts.  I will also add if Sutton would do one or all of the following then our DBs will do much better:  1) rush more than 3 at the QB, 2) rush Houston instead of putting him out in coverage 60% of the time; or 3)  BLITZ .... rush 5 or 6 guys at the QB on occassion.

All of those things I list (plus having our #1 CB cover their #1 WR) are ALL coaching/Sutton issues.   Not talent issues.

BE F-ING AGGRESSIVE SUTTON!  You're killing us.

I agree with both of your posts.  I will also add if Sutton would do one or all of the following then our DBs will do much better:  1) rush more than 3 at the QB, 2) rush Houston instead of putting him out in coverage 60% of the time; or 3)  BLITZ .... rush 5 or 6 guys at the QB on occassion.

All of those things I list (plus having our #1 CB cover their #1 WR) are ALL coaching/Sutton issues.   Not talent issues.

BE F-ING AGGRESSIVE SUTTON!  You're killing us.

Yup. We could also use more jams at the LOS. Houston needs more than 2 secs. to get to the qb. If we jammed the WR's it may be all the difference in the world. Especially when we play so much 2 Safety over the top man defense. If the DB does get beat, we have safety help on top. We should definitely be jamming the WR's.

Related: Dolphins

The Chiefs would be stupid not to. His size and experience alone would be an upgrade over Terrence Mitchell, and definitely over Phillip Gaines, who is just absolutely terrible and doesn't belong even sniffing the field ever.

I agree with both of your posts. I will also add if Sutton would do one or all of the following then our DBs will do much better: 1) rush more than 3 at the QB, 2) rush Houston instead of putting him out in coverage 60% of the time; or 3) BLITZ .... rush 5 or 6 guys at the QB on occassion.

All of those things I list (plus having our #1 CB cover their #1 WR) are ALL coaching/Sutton issues. Not talent issues.

BE F-ING AGGRESSIVE SUTTON! You're killing us.

You clearly don't know football, buddy. Sutton has dialed up the right defenses, it's just Terrence Mitchell and Phillip Gaines are SO TERRIBLE that they cannot stop the opposition.

The Chiefs would be stupid not to. His size and experience alone would be an upgrade over Terrence Mitchell, and definitely over Phillip Gaines, who is just absolutely terrible and doesn't belong even sniffing the field ever.

I agree. Veech should be on the phone with his agent as we speak..

You clearly don't know football, buddy. Sutton has dialed up the right defenses, it's just Terrence Mitchell and Phillip Gaines are SO TERRIBLE that they cannot stop the opposition.

You clearly believe your opinion matters, and any opinion that differs means they don't know ball.. A little shortsighted if you ask me. My opinion, n I like to believe I now a little something about the game, is that t michell is competing every snap at a high level, and not getting calls to go his way. I'd like to defend Gaines because there is a boat load of potential, but his lack of awareness going into his what fourth or fifth year makes that harder n harder.. Some players never get the opportunity to realize their potential. This might be the case for Gaines, but I will say he is normally in pretty decent position to make a play. Which leads to sutton.. He normally calls a pretty good game, puts his guys in good position to make plays, he is one of the better d coordinators in the game, however it seems as tho the loss of berry really took some of the aggressiveness out of our game plans.. I know even in that ne game we spent a ton of time rushing only 3, but when we needed to in the 4th we brought a bit more heat. Hard to zero blitz or even single high without the confidence in your back end. There is a time and place for a game plan where you primarily only rush 3 ( like defending the pats underneath crossing routes), and I understand as a coordinator trying to avoid always and nevers, but I'd like to see houston rush the passer at least 75% of the time.. Also I would love to see peters travel following the top threat. Bottom line here is that the sky is not falling. T mich is not the problem, sutton is more than competent, n gains well he is havin a rough go, but he can play, belongs on a field, n isn't the worst player in the league.. He definitely needs to work on his consistency, and field awareness. This team will be fine. A few months ago we knew we had one of the better coached and talent laden D's.. Nothing has changed except a few key injuries, and hopefully a temporary lack of aggressiveness within our scheme. Let's also not loose sight of the fact that we have had a very rough schedule thus far, and came out with 2 close, yet controversial loses. We could very easily been 7-0 right now.. Hard to scheme for dumb luck n bad ref calls.

He competes, yes, but that’s not the point. His stats indicate he’s been bad. At best he’s highly inconsistent, at worst, he’s bad.

If they are so terrible, shouldn't Sutton know this and adjust? Or do you think this is our best shot and pass rushing more would make it worse? Zone defense has its negatives as well as man to man, so...?

Archived