Lack of turnovers

One thing seemingly lost in the shuffle of the Chiefs defensive woes is the fact they’re not getting turnovers this year. You go from top to bottom and this is what happens. All those balls Carr threw which could’ve/should’ve been intercepted were drops. Last year we caught all of them. Hell, even the fumble from Carr we didn’t get because of a horrible call by the officials.

Point is that this defense needs a lot more turnovers to be effective because our once vaunted pass rush under Sutton’s horrid scheme has vanished. I’m not saying this team is the 03’ defense, yet, but it was the exact same thing under Greg Robinson. No doubt losing Eric Berry hurts immensely here.

Nelson and Hali will help out.

Why do you think Hali will help?  In the rare times he has been on the field in recent years, well let's just say his production when he plays is about the same as when he's hurt.  His days as a contributor are over.  Nelson will be nice to have back though.  Still, we have no pass rush, and without that, turnovers are going to be difficult to come by.  

Why do you think Hali will help?  In the rare times he has been on the field in recent years, well let's just say his production when he plays is about the same as when he's hurt.  His days as a contributor are over.  Nelson will be nice to have back though.  Still, we have no pass rush, and without that, turnovers are going to be difficult to come by.  

Hali can still defend the run well. He needs to be an emotional leader out there for these young pups.

Hasn’t anyone here learned that regular season games don’t mean shit for playoff contenders?

Remember when the Chiefs started out at 1-5 and went on to win 11 straight games? Was a complete turn around. Only the second half of the season, where adjustments are made, may we voice our true concern instead of the idiocy of writing this defense as the 03 defense after the first 7 games. What a joke, lmao. This defense has been and continues to be elite.

Steelers and Raiders are both playoff teams with high powered offenses, where it’s better the Chiefs lose to them now than playoffs

I've blasted the Hali contract for two years now, but I will say this. PFF has Hali as a very effective pass rusher still despite only 3 sacks last year. He was top twenty in pressures despite only playing 50  percent of the snaps. Now where is he really at physically today? No clue. But there is at least some chance he could help us. 

One thing seemingly lost in the shuffle of the Chiefs defensive woes is the fact they’re not getting turnovers this year. You go from top to bottom and this is what happens. All those balls Carr threw which could’ve/should’ve been intercepted were drops. Last year we caught all of them. Hell, even the fumble from Carr we didn’t get because of a horrible call by the officials.

Point is that this defense needs a lot more turnovers to be effective because our once vaunted pass rush under Sutton’s horrid scheme has vanished. I’m not saying this team is the 03’ defense, yet, but it was the exact same thing under Greg Robinson. No doubt losing Eric Berry hurts immensely here.

I just have to scratch my head when people talk about a horrific scheme thats created the most turnovers in the NFL since he got here and is top 5 in scoring and red zone defense. Same people would probably tell you Alex has been below average QB since he got here and that Andy can't play call. Pretty comical to me when you think about all the wins. Suttons scheme isn't sexy but has been VERY effective until the last few weeks.  But whatever, People can believe what they want. Either way what has worked until recently certainly didn't work vs Oakland. And its indeed a major problem when you play a scheme designed to stop big plays, but you end up giving them up anyway. And no doubt we have to adjust to the reality weve got some weak links in the defense right now that Sutton has to try and find a way to hide. A lot of those jump balls given up have indeed been turnovers in the past which would have sealed games. 

I just have to scratch my head when people talk about a horrific scheme thats created the most turnovers in the NFL since he got here and is top 5 in scoring and red zone defense. Same people would probably tell you Alex has been below average QB since he got here and that Andy can't play call. Pretty comical to me when you think about all the wins. Suttons scheme isn't sexy but has been VERY effective until the last few weeks.  But whatever, People can believe what they want. Either way what has worked until recently certainly didn't work vs Oakland. And its indeed a major problem when you play a scheme designed to stop big plays, but you end up giving them up anyway. And no doubt we have to adjust to the reality weve got some weak links in the defense right now that Sutton has to try and find a way to hide. A lot of those jump balls given up have indeed been turnovers in the past which would have sealed games. 

I'm not a Sutton hater, not even a little bit.  That said, what frustrates me about this defense, is that week in and week out there seems to be a one size fits all approach.  You can't do to a team like Pitt what you did against NE, because they are completely different offenses with completely different styles and strengths.  I realize part of that is personnel because our linebackers leave a lot to be desired and they aren't built to compete against power teams, but I get really frustrated with the lack of creativity in terms of pass rush.  You absolutely cannot let a QB get comfortable in the pocket in this league, and Sutton week in and week out seems content with rushing 3, applying no pressure, and dropping what is supposed to be our best edge rusher into coverage.  I understand there are certain QBs you don't blitz, someone like Brady, but Sutton is too reliant on a front 3/4 to get a pass rush without help, and they just aren't getting it done.  

I'm not a Sutton hater, not even a little bit.  That said, what frustrates me about this defense, is that week in and week out there seems to be a one size fits all approach.  You can't do to a team like Pitt what you did against NE, because they are completely different offenses with completely different styles and strengths.  I realize part of that is personnel because our linebackers leave a lot to be desired and they aren't built to compete against power teams, but I get really frustrated with the lack of creativity in terms of pass rush.  You absolutely cannot let a QB get comfortable in the pocket in this league, and Sutton week in and week out seems content with rushing 3, applying no pressure, and dropping what is supposed to be our best edge rusher into coverage.  I understand there are certain QBs you don't blitz, someone like Brady, but Sutton is too reliant on a front 3/4 to get a pass rush without help, and they just aren't getting it done.

Early on in his KC career, creative pressure seemed to be a strength. He seemed to bring some of that Rex Ryan attitude. Not anymore.

No doubt getting more production out of our pass rush will result in more turnovers, but if we are being real here we have had guys in position to make plays on the ball, they just don't, or they drop it, or get a penalty called. The schedule isn't quite as daunting moving foreword, so hopefully we see an up tic in the turnover department. Also this string of bad luck big plays has to end at some point.

I feel like I saw Houston drop more against Pit and rush more against Oakland. But I wish I could find those numbers some where. I felt like I have seen significantly different approaches n the game and between games, but I can’t backnit up. The idea that he is rushing 3 and dropping 8 in every play isn’t correct. If you can’t beat your man and get pressure, that matters. If the scheme puts you in position to make a play and you don’t it matters. If you call the right D and someone misses an assignment, it matters.

I think our D will get back to making plays and stop playing tight. I really don’t see it as a play calling problem. We have had a couple bad games. One we couldn’t score and one we couldn’t stop the scoring.

Most of us predicted the Oakland loss based on being beat up, on the road, in a division game, on a short week. Now we seem outraged about it. We are OK.

BTW, Houston rushed a ton and was held a ton.

I agree with this

And I want you to know that I actually feel bad for Hali. Maybe the whole purpose of Hali being on the roster is to qualify to receive a Super Bowl ring. He was a great defender for the Chiefs long before the offense was sufficiently stocked so as to do its part.

And I want you to know that I actually feel bad for Hali. Maybe the whole purpose of Hali being on the roster is to qualify to receive a Super Bowl ring. He was a great defender for the Chiefs long before the offense was sufficiently stocked so as to do its part.

Yes.

But I do have a problem with him running his mouth this offseason.

Yes.

But I do have a problem with him running his mouth this offseason.

No, that wasn't cool at all. But he's been quiet since. Whether it's excusable or not, I think a lot of athletes are quicker to catch their tongues than they are to keep their twitter thumbs idle. The next generation of athletes will have agents that aren't living in 1990 and understand the dangers of social media. Until then, you're going to get the occasional twitterstorm from a guy who should know better and yet strangely enough doesn't know better.

No, that wasn't cool at all. But he's been quiet since. Whether it's excusable or not, I think a lot of athletes are quicker to catch their tongues than they are to keep their twitter thumbs idle. The next generation of athletes will have agents that aren't living in 1990 and understand the dangers of social media. Until then, you're going to get the occasional twitterstorm from a guy who should know better and yet strangely enough doesn't know better.

I expected more out of him. It worked at the start.

Now he's busy making albums and rapping in case no one knows...

Athletes are expected to be role models for some reason. So they cannot stay away from social media which is basically the norm these days. A lot of people go through a rant at some point but with easy access to the world via internet it can get out of hand and nothing said or done is wiped away. I don't mind Hali going off like he did, he has the right just like anyone else but I felt like there was supposed to be certain individuals in the organization that he should have complained to.

To the OP, teams are easily moving the ball against us hence don't have to take risks which could lead to turnovers. Only good defenses cause turnovers and Chiefs are currently very far from that level. Hopefully it all changes soon.

I've blasted the Hali contract for two years now, but I will say this. PFF has Hali as a very effective pass rusher still despite only 3 sacks last year. He was top twenty in pressures despite only playing 50  percent of the snaps. Now where is he really at physically today? No clue. But there is at least some chance he could help us. 

I seen that the other day as well. I'm not counting on Hali at this point. His whole situation as been a complete mystery to me for 2017. As for the debate about turnovers... it can get better and I expect it to get better. The Chiefs have been a high turnover defense pretty much the entire Reid era. They'll get it together... I hope.

Archived