Kelce: "What Mahomes is doing in practice is UNBELIEVABLE!!"

Some would say that Patrick Mahomes is the difference. That Mahomes’ presence made Alex Smith more aggressive or that Alex saw how the Chiefs players reacted to Mahomes’ deep balls in training camp and changed his game.

“Pat’s right there trying to learn everything he can from Alex and Alex is trying to help him out as much as he can,” Kelce continued. “I think what Alex has done best is he’s been running this offense to a T. So, he’s showing Patrick just how to execute it and what Mahomes does in practice is just unbelievable. I mean, the kind of behind the scenes stuff that you guys haven’t seen on Sundays is Mahomes is getting better and getting more fluent and getting more comfortable just being a professional athlete and understanding the scheme and the timing and how long the seasons are and stuff like that. He’s gauging all that stuff and I think when he gets on the field eventually knowing that he is going to get the keys to the car eventually. Everyone knows that. When he does I can’t wait to see how good he is.”

LINK

Very excited to hear this about Pat. I remember watching the Washington game and one of the commentators said, "I went down to see them practice and saw Mahomes. And right from the start you could see that the ball just comes out differently, he's got a special arm". Just hope the kid works as hard as possible and soaks up every bit of information he can. Looking around the league and seeing people wax lyrical about Wentz, Dak, Watson etc just peaks my excitement even more. I guess it's the comparison to Rodgers that wets the appetite. If he ever reaches those levels then I have no doubts that SB's will be in our future. And Kelce isn't the only one stunned by Pat. I've heard he's made a LOT of peoples jaw drop in practice tbh.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Contract Year Effect in full force. Drafting a competent backup helped with the what but not the why. Smith always has worked hard, always tried to win, but we're doing it different this year. Smith has always had the talent, but needed the cast to be competent and a weapon or two. Smith has had a fuck it attitude due to being replaced, not by who, but just that fact. We have the talent now to now fuck it and take shots without trusting someone unwarranted.

Contract Year Efffect in full force. Drafting a competent backup helped with the what but not the why. Smith always has worked hard, always tried to win, but we're doing it different this year. Smith has always had the talent, but needed the cast to be competent and a weapon or two. Smith has had a fuck it attitude due to being replaced, not by who, but just that fact. We have the talent now to now fuck it and take shots without trusting someone unwarranted.

Don't we have him under contract another year or two even?

"I mean, listen, we're talking about practice. Not a game. Not a game. Not a game. We're talking about practice. Not a game..." :P

Didn't Rodgers spend three years virtually "practising" too? :D 

Right now Pat is learning his trade but if he's lighting it up at practice then surely that's better than him looking poor and failing to adapt to pro game methods? 

Not to discount either of those things. I am sure Mahome and contract year syndrome bot play a role. I think more than Han anything, it is the team around him.

We have seen Smith’s completion percentage and passing yards go up every year he has been here. Is he getting better? I don’t think that is it. I think it is that the team is getting built up around him. Last year he threw more deep TD passes than I remember before. That is a product of getting Hill and Schwartz as much as anything as well as LDT developing.

This year you add Hunt and that really improves the offense. Hill, Kelce and Hunt are huge threats. Alex is not throwing caution to the wind because he is gone next year, or he would be throwing a lot more 50-50 balls and have a lot more INTs.

In short, same Alex, better team around him. Just my opinion.

Not to discount either of those things. I am sure Mahome and contract year syndrome bot play a role. I think more than Han anything, it is the team around him.

We have seen Smith’s completion percentage and passing yards go up every year he has been here. Is he getting better? I don’t think that is it. I think it is that the team is getting built up around him. Last year he threw more deep TD passes than I remember before. That is a product of getting Hill and Schwartz as much as anything as well as LDT developing.

This year you add Hunt and that really improves the offense. Hill, Kelce and Hunt are huge threats. Alex is not throwing caution to the wind because he is gone next year, or he would be throwing a lot more 50-50 balls and have a lot more INTs.

In short, same Alex, better team around him. Just my opinion.

We haven't added the type of talent that has shot his statistics into the stratosphere though either.   He does have better weapons but I think its more to do with his mentality and the knowledge that he is audition for his next team.  

Not sure how anyone couldn't be excited about this. We've got the most talented QB we have had in many decades working hard and learning behind one of the smartest, most professional QBs in the league. I expect something akin to 30 TDs, 20 Ints next season which will be a wild ride. But if we can get to the postseason with a 23 year old, look out NFL! 

Not sure how anyone couldn't be excited about this. We've got the most talented QB we have had in many decades working hard and learning behind one of the smartest, most professional QBs in the league. I expect something akin to 30 TDs, 20 Ints next season which will be a wild ride. But if we can get to the postseason with a 23 year old, look out NFL!

If Smith finishes with 30 TDs and less than 10 ints how do we let him walk in favor of a raw Patrick Mahomes? I don’t think we can.

That is a really good point. Trouble is, I think our hands are tied from a cap perspective. Maybe we could swing it, but that doesn’t leave much room. Ford is a FA, Hali is old. We need to get a ROLB that has some pass rush ability. Not sure what DJ has left and Wilson/Ragland aren’t setting the world on fire. Our NT is on a one year deal and those guys aren’t cheap.

I think Smith has to play well and we have to get to the Super Bowl and maybe win it in order to eat that contract next year.

Tbh I'd let him go even if we win the SB. We've got to move forward and think long-term yall. We just might have something special in our hands in Mahomes. No point stalling the kids progress when we can let him play and get big returns off of Smith in the process. IF we win the SB, or even just make the final, I think we could possibly snatch a first-round pick off someone or use him for a big trade. 

That is a really good point. Trouble is, I think our hands are tied from a cap perspective. Maybe we could swing it, but that doesn’t leave much room. Ford is a FA, Hali is old. We need to get a ROLB that has some pass rush ability. Not sure what DJ has left and Wilson/Ragland aren’t setting the world on fire. Our NT is on a one year deal and those guys aren’t cheap.

I think Smith has to play well and we have to get to the Super Bowl and maybe win it in order to eat that contract next year.

I think you gotta trade smith regardless of the outcome. If smith was to go to, or win the SB, his trade value would be as close to a first round pick as possible. And remember, we don't have a first round pick next year.

I personally think we're getting the best Alex Smith he's got to offer. He'll be 33 when the next season (2018) starts. You gotta trade him while he's at his highest, and look at all of the Cap money we would have by letting him go.

Gotta do it, regardless if he's MVP, SB Winner or not. 

If Smith finishes with 30 TDs and less than 10 ints how do we let him walk in favor of a raw Patrick Mahomes? I don’t think we can.

I think it would be even harder to pass on the good trade compensation given that Mahomes is young, talented, cheap, hard working, etc.

Yes we can. A draft pick and 17 million in CAP space would make a big impact on overall roster. Next year the new era begins in earnest. This is the last run for the old core guys  as we move forward with one of youngest and most talented rosters in football next year. We will certainly be raw and more inconsistent though early with Mahomes.  It will certainly not be boring.

We are set up so well to do this too. Just hammer away on the defensive side of the ball to add team speed to a returning group which will include a Pro Bowl caliber player locked up at every defensive position group. (Jones, Houston, Berry and Peters). Plus dynamic play makers at every position group on offense like Tyreek, Kelce, and Hunt and a young oline comletely locked up through at least 2019. It's an exciting time to be a Chiefs fan. Again I almost consider everything we do this year a bonus. I think the next era could be really special.   

Archived