Kelce: "What Mahomes is doing in practice is UNBELIEVABLE!!"

I was responding to this:

The "cheap controllable years on Mahomes' contract" are likely to expire before Mahomes becomes anything like Favre. Anyone who believes Mahomes + talent bought by money saved with Smith's release in 2018 will keep this team at the level it needs to be at to win Super Bowls is deluding themselves. No quarterback has ever won a Super Bowl in their first year as a full-time starter. Mahomes was a long ways from giving evidence that he should be a starting quarterback in the NFL, much less a potentially Super-Bowl-winning quarterback that can make the needed plays and avoid the mistakes that young quarterbacks are often forced into making.

I beg to differ. Kurt Warner won in his first year as a full time started. Brady won it when he took over his first year as a starter. We also can't consider Mahomes a rookie next year either as no rookie Qb has won the sb in his rookie year. That would be a more factual statement

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The "cheap controllable years on Mahomes' contract" are likely to expire before Mahomes becomes anything like Favre. Anyone who believes Mahomes + talent bought by money saved with Smith's release in 2018 will keep this team at the level it needs to be at to win Super Bowls is deluding themselves. No quarterback has ever won a Super Bowl in their first year as a full-time starter. Mahomes was a long ways from giving evidence that he should be a starting quarterback in the NFL, much less a potentially Super-Bowl-winning quarterback that can make the needed plays and avoid the mistakes that young quarterbacks are often forced into making.

You talk about our 'replacement' defense, how do you expect to win a superbowl if we can't improve that group.  We can do that if we use the 2018 Smith money.....

It's funny that the reasoning applied against Smith here won't be applied against Mahomes when it comes time to extend him in lieu of letting his contract expire.

Just one of the many fan-imposed double-standards that has dogged Alex Smith.

There is no double standard.

To put your mind at ease, when Mahomes is turning 33 and due 20+ million with 17 million savings to cut him and we are cap trouble and we have a top 10 QB drafted the year before, we will probably cut Mahomes.

There is no double standard.

To put your mind at ease, when Mahomes is turning 33 and due 20+ million with 17 million savings to cut him and we are cap trouble and we have a top 10 QB drafted the year before, we will probably cut Mahomes.

Well that stinks. We finally draft a quarterback and we are already talking about cutting him.

The "cheap controllable years on Mahomes' contract" are likely to expire before Mahomes becomes anything like Favre. Anyone who believes Mahomes + talent bought by money saved with Smith's release in 2018 will keep this team at the level it needs to be at to win Super Bowls is deluding themselves. No quarterback has ever won a Super Bowl in their first year as a full-time starter. Mahomes was a long ways from giving evidence that he should be a starting quarterback in the NFL, much less a potentially Super-Bowl-winning quarterback that can make the needed plays and avoid the mistakes that young quarterbacks are often forced into making.

QBs are SO much more advanced in the passing game than they used to be and capable of producing big numbers and winning football very early in their careers. 17 million in CAP savings means a TON for the overall roster. As would even a second round draft pick we likely get for trading Alex. And you get a guy that clearly has more arm talent as well. The mantra here would be to sell high!! In the end, Andy will know when it's time to get Mahomes on the field. I think most of us are logically guessing it will be next season for the above reasons. But it's what he does on the practice field and film study room that are going to make Andy ready to move forward. Andy deserves a ton of trust when it comes to QBs! He's made Alex the best QB he's ever been and he will do the same for Mahomes. And many of us think that will be the highest level of QB play we have seen in KC in many decades, but that is indeed purely speculative.

The cheap controllable years are when you let him learn and go through the growing pains.   That's better for the team overall than waiting until his contract has to be renewed to see what you've got.  No one said Mahomes was leading this team to a Super Bowl next year.  This team won't be ready to be a true super bowl team until 2019 IMO, after Mahomes has a year of game experience and we've had time to retool the defense.  This year, next year, we're getting bounced in either the wild card round or the divisional round.  I don't need a 34 year old quarterback to accomplish that for 17 million dollars.  

No QB released from the 49ers has won a SB either, but that means nothing. No QB with the first name Alex has won the SB. What is your point? If a first year starter had won the SB it would increase Mahomes chances of winning a SB his first year? It would be irrelevant. And why do we expect him to win his first year? And keeping Alex in 2018 doesn’t eliminate his first year, it just postpones it. It also postpones his second which I guess you are saying is when he is allowed to win a SB.

No QB released from the 49ers has won a SB either, but that means nothing. No QB with the first name Alex has won the SB. What is your point? If a first year starter had won the SB it would increase Mahomes chances of winning a SB his first year? It would be irrelevant. And why do we expect him to win his first year? And keeping Alex in 2018 doesn’t eliminate his first year, it just postpones it. It also postpones his second which I guess you are saying is when he is allowed to win a SB.

What about Alex Montana?

Lin Elliott?

Oh wait he wasn't a qb, he was...

Shit now i have to ban myself.

Well it's been nice y'all...

Lin Elliott?

Oh wait he wasn't a qb, he was...

Shit now i have to ban myself.

Well it's been nice y'all...

You spoke the name he that shall not be spoken of. Don't be too harsh on yourself with the ban. You can allow yourself to return after we win the Super Bowl.

Archived