Who on our roster could be part of an elite defense?

Just thinking ahead to the draft and stuff and I hear all the commentators talk glowingly about Denver's defense, The Jaggs defense, Seattle's defense etc. And I wonder, who on our roster would be good enough to be part of an elite NFL defense? From the top of my head Berry and Peters stand out. Berry because he's the best safety in the league and Peters because he's one of the best CB's in the league and teams are scared to target him. After those two, who would yall add in? Houston? Jones? I think building a fierce defense should be our priority moving forward tbh. But is it possible to achieve that in one draft? Has that ever been done before?

I don't think they're that far off. Doubt they can do it one draft especially missing a rd 1 pick.

Need moar pass rushers, ilb's and corners.

Agreed. In my mind, I wonder come postseason if it would be smart to offer Smith to Zona, plus a future 2nd round pick in exchange for Peterson? Surely he would want to come to a side who is challenging?

Agreed. In my mind, I wonder come postseason if it would be smart to offer Smith to Zona, plus a future 2nd round pick in exchange for Peterson? Surely he would want to come to a side who is challenging?

I'd do it. As long as you mean Patrick, not Adrian. Zona might go for that. Their offense is falling apart.

Jones, Houston, Peters and Berry all without question. Sourround these four with young guys and add team speed and they can be lethal. We need a true leader to emerge at ILB to replace DJ. It would be great if Ragland becomes that guy but realistically we need to look st drafting a guy early Also bring guys in who all have some pass rushing ability. We need to get away from having our pass rush focused on one guy.

We desperately need an elite ILB like DJ used to be.  I don't know if he's on the roster yet.  Eligwe maybe?   Haven't seen anything from Ragland to show he'll be that.  If DJ continues sucking, I'd really like to see a rotation of Eligwe, KPL, and Ragland, but I know they won't bench DJ.  

We desperately need an elite ILB like DJ used to be.  I don't know if he's on the roster yet.  Eligwe maybe?   Haven't seen anything from Ragland to show he'll be that.  If DJ continues sucking, I'd really like to see a rotation of Eligwe, KPL, and Ragland, but I know they won't bench DJ.  

Ramik Wilson was that guy. Not sure what happened. 

Ramik Wilson was that guy. Not sure what happened. 

Ramik was okay, but never headed toward elite.  I'm with the poster who mentioned KPass and Eligwe.   If they were elite, they would already be playing, but the potential might be there.  Remember, DJ was benched his second or third season and became a pro bowler soon after.  It takes time and patience to see what the Chiefs have on defense.  They do need ILB, CB, and pass rush but won't fill them all next spring.

Peters in the only one I see. The others are past their prime & injury prone. Love Berry but that injury is a killer.

So is cancer! Look its a tough injury, and berry is no spring chicken, however it seems as tho us as fans are even worse than the media and even the organization's as far as writing players off too quickly. My betting money is on berry returning to form and then some as he eluded to pre op..

As far as who I see on this team that could be on an elite d? All of em!... er.. at least most.. look our d has been near the top in the league and flirting with elite status at times more often than not over the last few years. We play stretches where it looks like an elite d. The thing that is hard to wrap your head around is that this TEAM wants to win games more than it wants to have an elite d status. What I mean is sometimes there will be things schemed up and in the game plan for a particular opponent, for the game to go a certain way. Just because you have it schemed doesn't mean all the breaks are gonna go your way. A badluck bounce here, a no call on a few 50/50 balls, or even worse them exposing the weakness of what you are trying to do (vs pitt we tried to play coverage according to our personnel n bell broke a tackle or 8 n had a day), or phantom calls to extend the game. OUR gameplans aren't going to be perfect (especially in today's IR nfl) but, even with all the breaks going the opponents way they've still been good enough that we are not only in the game, but I'd argue we should have won.

I cannot wait to see how our cap space shakes out. With the young ones in the draft so far and us getting cap space to sign our own plus have money left over, I can see us going after a couple positions. Then we use the draft for the other ones and are able to draft even more depth and development going forward. I do not want us going all out in FA, just a good splash or two for upper tier type players that fit our scheme.

Archived