Chiefs Donks - Game Thread

Then don't watch.

Denver was only in the game for a few moments last night when they made it 20-13. The Chiefs responded and kept it at a 2 score game the rest of the way out and were up 16 when Denver scored a garbage TD.

The Chiefs didn't even play that well offensively and still put up 29 against the league's best defense. How was the defense even bad last night? Just because Denver ran the ball while being down 2 scores the whole game? Who cares? Let them run it, it eats clock and prevents big plays. Denver literally had 1 good drive the whole game. The Chiefs created turnovers and got sacks as well.

The crybabies are hilarious, all these years with Reid and Smith it's been "We can't win a Super Bowl with Alex Smith, he's not a top 5 QB. All that matters is having a top 5 QB."

Now this year it's "defense wins championships".

The defense really hasn't changed this year from any other season. You're just now finding something else to b*tch about because Alex Smith is playing as well as any QB.

Not true whatsoever. I’ve given Alex as much fucking praise this year as anyone, but unlike in previous years, our defense is a problem spot. It’s the same goddamn argument I’ve always presented - if you and others are happy with the Chiefs being regular season warriors then fine. I want a SB, and I don’t see it happening because Eric Berry’s injury is insurmountable. Maybe you’re confident with our clown crew secondary which consists of two guys that were benched last night and some lost guy named Dan who’s always out of position. I don’t trust them and that’s the bottom line.

It really sucks that this team has been hit so hard by injuries, especially because of how well Alex Smith has played. It is what it is, and our lack of quality depth at CB and LB are killing us.

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are the snap counts from last night.  Gaines and Mitchell didn't see the field which is interesting.  Lol at somebody in here was complaing about Gaines giving up plays.  Not sure if they thought it was Gaines or just referring to  past games. 

At least KC coaches saw how horrible Gaines was and gave Acker and Nelson chances.  I'm surprised Mitchell didn't see ANY snaps though, I know he's had it rough but the coaches must've been really down on him.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017/10/31/16581252/chiefs-snap-counts-new-faces-at-offensive-line-cornerback

Chiefs' fans are unbelievable.

16-10 point win, Denver got 6 points in complete garbage time, and people are still whining.

The Chiefs f*cked around last night and scored 29 points on the league's best defense and won by 10 against our #1 Division Rival

I think all fans hate missed opportunities. Not only in losses. We had so many. We had to Harris drop, the Hill interception, Robinsons non-catch (I won't call that a drop, but we could've had that. I think he was concerned about the hat that was coming) and another Harris drop that would have extended a drive. More protection would have avoided the sack fumble as well. We can't play a perfect game, but if the lack of more points were from simply packing it in, I think people would complain but not as much. We packed it in and missed opportunities.

Settling for field goals wasn't complained about as much as missing the touchdowns. That sounds contradictory, but it's not. If we got to fourth down without those missed opportunities and kicked the field-goal, I think we would've been fine and just talked about field goals over touchdowns in general, not specifically.

I don't know how to post it but I agree with Nick Jacobs analysis after the game.  If you go on his twitter feed he's got two screenshots where he wrote it out.  He basically says he is just as worried about us after this win as he was after the Oakland loss and to summarize these are why:

1, Just like in 2014-2016, team would look like it would lose focus, intensity or wait for a spark to win a game, instead just try to coast to the win.  After injuries we struggled against the run and it is happening again without any adjustments

2, 2016 we saw what might happen in the playoff loss against Pitt with the way we lost to Titans and Bucs and it happened

3, The pats game this year was the first time in a while where we had all 3 phases working, we always struggle to have that happen and it is starting again

4, OL had issues in past years picking up stunts, twists and blitzes and until we corrected that we struggled, need to do that again

I think these are valid points, Denver is bad, really bad and we should have all been able to turn off the TV at halftime but instead we needed some great FG kicking to give us the cushion.  Our ILB play doesn't exist, once either Ford/Houston go out our pass rush if F-ed and no matter who we plug into at 2nd corner we struggle (but that is to be expected if they continually roll their best pass catcher on him).  A bright spot, thought Nelson looked good in the slot but hard to tell since donks receivers are awful.

Here are the snap counts from last night.  Gaines and Mitchell didn't see the field which is interesting.  Lol at somebody in here was complaing about Gaines giving up plays.  Not sure if they thought it was Gaines or just referring to  past games. 

At least KC coaches saw how horrible Gaines was and gave Acker and Nelson chances.  I'm surprised Mitchell didn't see ANY snaps though, I know he's had it rough but the coaches must've been really down on him.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017/10/31/16581252/chiefs-snap-counts-new-faces-at-offensive-line-cornerback

That's BS, Gaines is the guy that pushed the Donk player into Hill which nullified the kick catch interference.  I agree, I never saw him on defense though.

I think all fans hate missed opportunities. Not only in losses. We had so many. We had to Harris drop, the Hill interception, Robinsons non-catch (I won't call that a drop, but we could've had that. I think he was concerned about the hat that was coming) and another Harris drop that would have extended a drive. More protection would have avoided the sack fumble as well. We can't play a perfect game, but if the lack of more points were from simply packing it in, I think people would complain but not as much. We packed it in and missed opportunities.

Settling for field goals wasn't complained about as much as missing the touchdowns. That sounds contradictory, but it's not. If we got to fourth down without those missed opportunities and kicked the field-goal, I think we would've been fine and just talked about field goals over touchdowns in general, not specifically.

Denver didn't score a touchdown until nearly the start of the 4th quarter. The game was well in hand. People like to talk about killer instinct and stepping on the throat, but the only way Denver was going to win that game is by us being reckless. Let Von Miller and Talib put up a pick six or a strip sack. A la the Falcons vs the Patriots. It's not sexy, but it works generally and it worked last night.

That's BS, Gaines is the guy that pushed the Donk player into Hill which nullified the kick catch interference.  I agree, I never saw him on defense though.

correct, he didn't see the field on defense. 

That's BS, Gaines is the guy that pushed the Donk player into Hill which nullified the kick catch interference. I agree, I never saw him on defense though.

He's a fucking dumpster fire. He has climbed into my top 10 hated chiefs ever.

Denver didn't score a touchdown until nearly the start of the 4th quarter. The game was well in hand. People like to talk about killer instinct and stepping on the throat, but the only way Denver was going to win that game is by us being reckless. Let Von Miller and Talib put up a pick six or a strip sack. A la the Falcons vs the Patriots. It's not sexy, but it works generally and it worked last night.

I agree. But I wish that Harris would've caught that touchdown pass and that we didn't throw the Hill pass. I would've been happy for the touchdown if Hill scored, but not any more happy than if Smith scored or Hunt scored. Hindsight helps, but I do think that I would've been more comfortable with a traditional call.

I agree. But I wish that Harris would've caught that touchdown pass and that we didn't throw the Hill pass. I would've been happy for the touchdown if Hill scored, but not any more happy than if Smith scored or Hunt scored. Hindsight helps, but I do think that I would've been more comfortable with a traditional call.

I agree. The Hill pass was "stepping on throats". A not stupid play there would have been preferable.

I'm rewatching the game...

I love how the Smith haters always complain about him missing throws or throwing it away when no one's open, yet NEVER mention all the money throws he makes that get dropped.

he had 2 money throws to Robinson and Harris that were awful drops

He's a fucking dumpster fire. He has climbed into my top 10 hated chiefs ever.

Thats a list worth making..top six anyway..I'd have to think about the rest

1. Lin Elliott without any doubt..In fact I think you get banned from the board for bringing him up

2. Steve Bono...2nd half the duo that buried our 1995 season. He actually said something akin to his feelings were hurt and wasn't sure if he could start the last game of the 1996 season after Gannon got hurt

3. Elvis Grbac...started well but then he collapsed amid the I can't catch the ball or run the ball quote while wearing an Indians hat 500 feet from The K.

4. Bam Morris...came im fat, left in prison chains

5. Eric Winston...completely lied about Chiefs fans cheering when Matt Cassel got hurt. 

6. Larry Johnson...basically terrorized the city with ridiculously immature behavior on and off the field

Exactly right. That's the best defense in the league. No QB gets much done against them. Heck SD won despite 150 yards passing from Rivers. The playbook there is to let the poor coaching and QB play lose the game for them. Take your W, and move on. 

Exactly right. That's the best defense in the league. No QB gets much done against them. Heck SD won despite 150 yards passing from Rivers. The playbook there is to let the poor coaching and QB play lose the game for them. Take your W, and move on.

And if Harris could catch the ball and we don't throw with Hill, that could be another 10 to 14 points. I know that is part of the problem, hands and play calls, but considering we had that right there, it means something against that defense. Of course, they drop the touchdown as well.

And wow, that pass to Hill against Talib? I think we had moments last night against that defense.

And if Harris could catch the ball and we don't throw with Hill, that could be another 10 to 14 points. I know that is part of the problem, hands and play calls, but considering we had that right there, it means something against that defense. Of course, they drop the touchdown as well.

And wow, that pass to Hill against Talib? I think we had moments last night against that defense.

That pass by Alex was spectacular. Harris had the drops yesterday and it hurt. I thought he was improving there. I like the thought with Hill but you had to know Denver was looking for something after last years Hungry Pig in both games. Just take your 17-0 lead at worse and call it good. Heck that would almost had been enough to win period. I like trick plays and this could have worked. I just didn't like the timing. 

I agree. The Hill pass was "stepping on throats". A not stupid play there would have been preferable.

I'll be in the extreme minority, but I don't mind the play call at all.   What I do mind is that it must have looked so predictable formation wise, that Gruden was able to call it before the snap, and if he could from the booth, Denver could from the field.   They must disguise plays like that better.   And also instruct the passer that if it's not open, just keep running, or throw it away. 

We can't just run the ball when we want to, so we have to have plays like this in our repertoire.   I hope they keep stuff like this in.  Just disguise and execute it better.    

All I can say is you know things are going well with your team when you can complain about how your beating your biggest rivals. Amazing thing is we haven't won a game by less than a TD all season. But the losses were by 1 and 6 points. IE: We are clearly closer to being 7-1 than 5-3. All good though. The bar has clearly been raised here and thats a great thing.

I'll be in the extreme minority, but I don't mind the play call at all. What I do mind is that it must have looked so predictable formation wise, that Gruden was able to call it before the snap, and if he could from the booth, Denver could from the field. They must disguise plays like that better. And also instruct the passer that if it's not open, just keep running, or throw it away.

We can't just run the ball when we want to, so we have to have plays like this in our repertoire. I hope they keep stuff like this in. Just disguise and execute it better.

I agree. Against good secondary and when you can’t block to run, why not? If you hit it, bam. Game is done. I don’t blame Hill too much. You get that chance once and it would be very hard to throw the ball away. I am good with it. Dagger in the heart.

All I can say is you know things are going well with your team when you can complain about how your beating your biggest rivals. Amazing thing is we haven't won a game by less than a TD all season. But the losses were by 1 and 6 points. IE: We are clearly closer to being 7-1 than 5-3. All good though. The bar has clearly been raised here and thats a great thing.

Really? Washington should have beat us. We got saved by a Josh Doctson drop that should’ve been caught. But, I agree we should’ve beat the Raiders.

Really? Washington should have beat us. We got saved by a Josh Doctson drop that should’ve been caught. But, I agree we should’ve beat the Raiders.

We had 15 more first downs than Washington and won by 9 points despite an awful start. People have dropped a lot easier catches than that for us. It's part of the game. But whatever. Heck what happens vs Pitt is easy INT does t deflect to Brown for a long TD. . As I said the bar here has been raised. That's a great thing. Meanwhile we've flipped the script on the Donkeys and taken over this division. Can't really believe an Elway team has that bad of a QB situation and seems content with picking up our castoffs. We continue to break down walls and do things this organization hasn't done in decades. Just a matter of time before the Lombardi follows suit. I'm enjoying this ride. Added bonus watching our haters squirm.

I'll be in the extreme minority, but I don't mind the play call at all.   What I do mind is that it must have looked so predictable formation wise, that Gruden was able to call it before the snap, and if he could from the booth, Denver could from the field.   They must disguise plays like that better.   And also instruct the passer that if it's not open, just keep running, or throw it away. 

We can't just run the ball when we want to, so we have to have plays like this in our repertoire.   I hope they keep stuff like this in.  Just disguise and execute it better.

He said he saw them practicing it during the week

Archived