810am talk - defense

Dave armstrong just said that Rich Baldinger of Metro sports said the Defensive Line is NOT producing.

He said they aren't creating the spaces needed for the LB'ers.   Interesting.  

Anyone watching Metro sports hear him talk about the defense.  I don't get Metro(cable time warner) anymore.

I thought they played a little better. Bennie Logan looked pretty good. I think we get handled in one on one so our ILBs end up with a lineman in their face.

DJ and Houston are making a lot of tackles, but the other LBs are not. RILB and D line need to step it up.

Why are we in dime on 1st & 10 against a porous passing offense like Denver? That tells me Reid just doesn’t trust the secondary to stop anyone, and they’re willing to concede the gains on the ground.

I'm more concerned with the poor play right there by the ILB.

That’s deeply concerning also, but at least we can partially attribute that to DJ being old and washed up. What happened to Chris Jones though? And Bailey? These dudes are getting handled one-on-one.

They aren't getting blown off the ball. They aren't getting penetration either. Those lb's need to fill.

Guys: that's Sorenson playing LB on that play. DJ gets blocked out of the play. The DT missed the RB w/ a pathetic arm tackle, then Sorensen (our S playing IlB) whiffs on the tackle too.

I know I complain about Sutton. But, there is poor execution in addition to piss poor scheming here.

We have 2 down DL, a safety playing ILB, and are in dime on 1-10. Shaking my damn head. Why?..... just, why?

Yea, not sure why Diehard is supportive of DJ right now. Imo,

DJ is one of MAIN reasons the rush defense is trash. 

Even when they're in the base defense, I see ragland doing his job (taking on a FB/Pulling olineman) and DJ completing vacating his gap, or diving at the runners legs and completely whiffing...Time and time again.

I hope they get Egliwe/KPL ready sooner than later. Hell, they can't be any worse than DJ right now.

One other thing: the defense in that video is not a 3-4. There's no NT playing .... we are in a base 4-3 front. In dime or cover 2. I thought our scheme was a 3-4? Am I wrong?

Actually we are in a 4-2-5 alignment. With Sorenson as one of the LB. Then there are DB's. I would guess Peters, Nelson, Parker, Acker, and Murray.

It's the same group Pittsburgh ran on even in 3rd and long situations. Having DJ and Sorenson as you second level is such a recipe for disaster.

DJ blocks himself in this okay by guessing wrong instead of reading his keys. Then Sorenson makes it worse by getting himself blocked and not being able to scrape to space.

Its a bad scheme.

Dirty Dan is the issue. He was good last year as part of the dime in coverage. He is shit playing Berry’s role.

I had higher hopes for Murray also. But, he has been a tire fire this year. That holding penalty on Hill’s return Monday still pisses me off.

DJ is done. If I see him dive at a RBs legs one more time, I might puke. And, Ragland is fine. Don’t know what all the whining is about.

Dirty Dan is the issue. He was good last year as part of the dime in coverage. He is shit playing Berry’s role.

I had higher hopes for Murray also. But, he has been a tire fire this year. That holding penalty on Hill’s return Monday still pisses me off.

DJ is done. If I see him dive at a RBs legs one more time, I might puke. And, Ragland is fine. Don’t know what all the whining is about.

Yeah Ragland is A-OK. Common Semo guy has like 1 tackle in 4 games.

Yea, not sure why Diehard is supportive of DJ right now. Imo,

DJ is one of MAIN reasons the rush defense is trash.

Even when they're in the base defense, I see ragland doing his job (taking on a FB/Pulling olineman) and DJ completing vacating his gap, or diving at the runners legs and completely whiffing...Time and time again.

I hope they get Egliwe/KPL ready sooner than later. Hell, they can't be any worse than DJ right now.

Because he is leading the LB group in tackles. He isn’t great but he is a lot better than Ragland, Wilson, Ford or Zombo. I mean, look at the numbers. If you want to see worse look at the guys on the right.

I do agree we should start Eligwe, but on the right. You can’t bench your leading tackler. That makes no sense at all.

Seriously, he comes on for about 3 series' and then, gone..

Sutton and his dime defense. Rolling with father time and master of none aka DJ and Sorenson.  Shitty part is that Reid is so hands off with the defense that he leaves Sutton to fix the problems and make the adjustments. The only way this is getting fixed is after the season Reid looks at the whole body of work and decides to bring in some fresh blood at DC. 

I wonder when Suttons contract is up. He was hired in 2013 by Reid in his first year. I'd have to guess he is in the last year of his deal here.

Archived