810am talk - defense

Ragland got 20 snaps an had 2 tackles and 2 assists. Not bad. Much better than his goose egg from the Raider game. I would leave in more, but he probably can’t cover so he has to come out.

Not crazy about Zombo getting 45 snaps. He produced 0 tackles and 0 assists. I don’t get what they see in him.

KPL got 2 and Eligwe got 0. Kpass got 10 snaps and 2 assists.

Seems the consensus is to play Ragland and hope he gets better, play Wilson because he has a nose for the ball which makes up for his physical shortcomings, Play KPL or KPass because Zombo does nothing positive, and play Eligwe because there's nobody else and he could use the experience.  Does that pretty much summarize things?

Seems the consensus is to play Ragland and hope he gets better, play Wilson because he has a nose for the ball which makes up for his physical shortcomings, Play KPL or KPass because Zombo does nothing positive, and play Eligwe because there's nobody else and he could use the experience.  Does that pretty much summarize things?

Yuup..

Play anyone, but get DJ off the field in obvious running downs.

We have only given up 300 yards passing twice this year (Wentz and Carr).

Mike...we are giving up 131 yards per game on the ground. And 260 yards per game through the air. So that's kind of cherry-picking stats on your part a bit don't you think? Nearly 400 yards per game. And why would other teams throw at us when they can run it down our throats and chew up clock and risk less turnovers?

It's true....I believe DJ is done. He lost his explosiveness.....and he could be the only MLB in the NFL who doesn't know how to wrap up. I'm sick of him diving at legs, and constantly with his shoulder. 

Agree.

We need to bring back Haley to bench him.

They aren't getting blown off the ball. They aren't getting penetration either. Those lb's need to fill.

I agree but neither are they shedding blocks easily. The LB's aren't the only ones who need to tackle. It's not the D line's job just to take on a blocker so someone else can tackle. Every defender should have the mentality..."I'm gonna beat my guy and make the play."

But I do agree about the LB's not hitting the gaps hard. I've seen way too many plays where the ILB went outside when he should have gone inside. Inexcusable.

I agree but neither are they shedding blocks easily. The LB's aren't the only ones who need to tackle. It's not the D line's job just to take on a blocker so someone else can tackle. Every defender should have the mentality..."I'm gonna beat my guy and make the play."

But I do agree about the LB's not hitting the gaps hard. I've seen way too many plays where the ILB went outside when he should have gone inside. Inexcusable.

It's a mess.

Mike...we are giving up 131 yards per game on the ground. And 260 yards per game through the air. So that's kind of cherry-picking stats on your part a bit don't you think? Nearly 400 yards per game. And why would other teams throw at us when they can run it down our throats and chew up clock and risk less turnovers?

That makes sense until you factor in we are 6-2 and one of those losses we gave up only 19 points. Teams need to pass against us to stay in games and most have not done it well enough. YPA passing offense and defense are very telling stats about a teams chances of being good. And now another stat, Passer rating differincial has emerged as another great barometer of a teams chances to be great

So in YPA we are 8.4 on offense to 6.8 on defense. Our passing defense certainly has been far from great, but it hasn't been nearly as awful as some think. Our offense is clearly better than our defense is bad would be another way to look at it. Most importantly we net out at a very good +2.6. You are going to win a ton of games with those numbers.

Our QB rating is 115. Opponents is only 82.9. This is a staggering advantage. Alex has been really good, but an 82 for the defense is actually top ten in the NFL.

It was a treasure trove of data : the average NFL champion over the past 70 years produced a truly incredible Passer Rating Differential of +27.4 That's dominance in the passing game.Currently the Chiefs are at +32. Point would be teams have been pretty average overall against us in passing game overall.

IF, IF we can continue this overall trend and games like Oakland become outlier. We will be just fine even with a bottom tier rush defense. We just cannot be awful as we have been in several recent games. And oh yeah, Alex has to keep playing franchise record breaking football. You can certainly question his ability to continue to do that.

So all this babbling aside. Reality is we will have to play better defense. But I don't believe I was cherry picking stats. LOL

Archived