Great article by Mellinger

There has been two times when I let disappointment in a local sports team get me down.  When the Royals blew a lead in the ninth inning against the Yankees in the final game to miss the World Series and when Grbac and the kicker we will never name blew the game in Arrowhead while we all froze to death.  After that, I'm immune to disappointment.  Sure, we want to see championships and playoff wins, but the getting there is better than the reward.  We enjoyed the 2014 and 2015 baseball seasons because we felt the Royals had a realistic chance to win it all.  After the series, we celebrated and then went on with our mediocre lives; no healthier, no smarter, no richer, and still the same friendships.  Supporting winning teams is fun, but it's not life changing.    

Now if the Chiefs could just kick the snot out of the Cowboys........................

There has been two times when I let disappointment in a local sports team get me down. When the Royals blew a lead in the ninth inning against the Yankees in the final game to miss the World Series and when Grbac and the kicker we will never name blew the game in Arrowhead while we all froze to death. After that, I'm immune to disappointment. Sure, we want to see championships and playoff wins, but the getting there is better than the reward. We enjoyed the 2014 and 2015 baseball seasons because we felt the Royals had a realistic chance to win it all. After the series, we celebrated and then went on with our mediocre lives; no healthier, no smarter, no richer, and still the same friendships. Supporting winning teams is fun, but it's not life changing.

Now if the Chiefs could just kick the snot out of the Cowboys........................

The colts game changed me. That was the final heartbreak. I've changed since then.

The Steelers game last year. A game that the Chiefs should've won. Justin Houston who should have been fully healthy by then,and wasn't. A 100% Justin Houston beats the Steelers last year.

And this year, big name CBs were all available for the Chiefs to acquire. The word is out around the NFL: take advantage of the left side of the field against the Chiefs. The Chiefs don't have any quality CBs that can defend the ball in the air.

#1. The Chiefs could've addressed that need by standing pat and selecting TreDavious White, who the Bills actually took with the Chiefs' #27 spot. But instead they drafted their QB of the future in Patrick Mahomes.

#2. The Chiefs released Jeremy Maclin while in need of good quality WR, and were seemingly going to put the saved cap money to better use. Not long after, Joe Haden hits Free Agency, but the Chiefs show no interest and watch the Steelers sign him instead.

#3. The Colts season is over. Now is the time to trade for some of their quite players. Vontae Davis is exactly what the Chiefs need opposite Marcus Peters. But the Chiefs again show no interest at all.

And so the Chiefs passed on every chance to acquire a better CB to help stop the bleeding of a horrendous year of play from the CB #2 spot on the field. The Chiefs seem content on continuing to watch Terrence Mitchell, Steven Nelson, Phillip Gaines and yes, Kenneth Acker. Just imagine how much better the Chiefs would be with a above average CB. All we can do is sit back and just hope that the opposition's QB throws an errant pass. Outside of that, no current CB besides Peters, can stop the passing threat on that side of the field,

The Steelers game last year. A game that the Chiefs should've won. Justin Houston who should have been fully healthy by then,and wasn't. A 100% Justin Houston beats the Steelers last year.

And this year, big name CBs were all available for the Chiefs to acquire. The word is out around the NFL: take advantage of the left side of the field against the Chiefs. The Chiefs don't have any quality CBs that can defend the ball in the air.

#1. The Chiefs could've addressed that need by standing pat and selecting TreDavious White, who the Bills actually took with the Chiefs' #27 spot. But instead they drafted their QB of the future in Patrick Mahomes.

#2. The Chiefs released Jeremy Maclin while in need of good quality WR, and were seemingly going to put the saved cap money to better use. Not long after, Joe Haden hits Free Agency, but the Chiefs show no interest and watch the Steelers sign him instead.

#3. The Colts season is over. Now is the time to trade for some of their quite players. Vontae Davis is exactly what the Chiefs need opposite Marcus Peters. But the Chiefs again show no interest at all.

And so the Chiefs passed on every chance to acquire a better CB to help stop the bleeding of a horrendous year of play from the CB #2 spot on the field. The Chiefs seem content on continuing to watch Terrence Mitchell, Steven Nelson, Phillip Gaines and yes, Kenneth Acker. Just imagine how much better the Chiefs would be with a above average CB. All we can do is sit back and just hope that the opposition's QB throws an errant pass. Outside of that, no current CB besides Peters, can stop the passing threat on that side of the field,

However......If Reid/Sutton would get their heads out of their asses, and have Peters move around and play man on the opponents best WR, we really wouldn't need two #1 CB's. How many teams do you know, with the exception of the Broncos, have two #1 CBs? Mitchell is serviceable. But that's all he is..Serviceable. I've never heard him or anyone on the coaching staff or NFL refer to him as a Top Flight CB. 

Yet and still, he is manned up on the Opponents #1 WR 95% of the time. IMO, THIS is a serious coaching flaw, and every team we play, takes full advantage of it. It, really puts our defense in an uphill battle every week. 

I hate to tell you but I think some of it is geographical.   My senior year of college,  the KU Jayhawks played Penn State in the Orange Bowl for a chance at the national title.   This was the John Riggins Jayhawks.   Anyway  with 10 seconds to go in that game we led the Nittany Lions by 7.   The Lions QB threw a desperation pass in the endzone and somehow tight end Ted Kwalik came down with the football in the end zone.   Time had now run out.   Penn State went for two points and the win.  They tried a pass in the endzone and it was incomplete.   We Won!!  Only we didn't.  KU got flagged for too many men on the field.  ( Rick Abernathy was the 12th man from Topeka, Kansas )  Penn State got a second chance from 1 yard line and this time they converted.   From that moment on I realized the gods of football had it in for Kansas and Kansas City.   My second realization that was just as heart breaking was seeing the KC - Miami game in 1971 on Christmas day.   Longest game ever played.  You all know the details but 6 minutes into the 6th quarter Garo Ypremian broke my heart again.   Then theres the phantom holding call on Dave Szott in 1990.   Or the Lin Elliott missing 3 field goals.   Or the 28 point halftime lead we gave up to the Colts.   Or the Chris Chambliss homerun.  Or....and so on and so on and so on.   So that the only way we can protect ourselves from massive disappointment is to HOPE FOR THE BEST   EXPECT THE WORST.   I think its geographical.   We are doomed to be fans of flyover teams that are not from California or New York.

Archived