Tyreek Hill doesn't get open enough.

I didn't say Hill was as versatile as Brown...I said their roles in the offense are similar....

To take the top off of the defense.

Brown effectively draws targets on underneath and outside routes. His role isn't merely to run nines while the rest of the eligible receivers run clearouts. Brown doesn't have to get behind the safeties to help his team.

But you've acknowledged that Hill is not Brown.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll bet some of the same people complaining about the loss of picks were the very ones hollering about finally getting a QB. I didn't think we would be 6-3 at this point in the season. Hindsight is a bitch. I will live or die with DJ and I don't give a damn. That's my dog. Sometimes you just got to go with who brung ya.

Nice. People rake me for sticking with DJ. He has struggled and if there is someone better fine. Bench him. But there is not a clear better choice. Liking KPL and Eligwe but promise and production are not always the same thing. Would like to see a mix. Let the young guys develop for next year when DJ is gone.

Nice. People rake me for sticking with DJ. He has struggled and if there is someone better fine. Bench him. But there is not a clear better choice. Liking KPL and Eligwe but promise and production are not always the same thing. Would like to see a mix. Let the young guys develop for next year when DJ is gone.

If Derrick Johnson was playing quarterback at a level analogous to the level he is presently playing middle linebacker, I believe everyone would be calling for his head, especially where there are good things happening on the field otherwise.

I'm all about loyalty, but the guy has already been a Chiefs for two seasons too long. He's nothing like the player he was earlier this decade. Liking him, cheering for him, and wanting him to get his ring isn't going to fix his broken-down body. His best chance for getting a ring is likely similar to that of Hali: Accept a supporting role as a rotational player, putting him on the field in situations where his savvy will be most useful and matched up with a body as fresh as it will be at this point in his career.

If Derrick Johnson was playing quarterback at a level analogous to the level he is presently playing middle linebacker, I believe everyone would be calling for his head, especially where there are good things happening on the field otherwise.

I'm all about loyalty, but the guy has already been a Chiefs for two seasons too long. He's nothing like the player he was earlier this decade. Liking him, cheering for him, and wanting him to get his ring isn't going to fix his broken-down body. His best chance for getting a ring is likely similar to that of Hali: Accept a supporting role as a rotational player, putting him on the field in situations where his savvy will be most useful and matched up with a body as fresh as it will be at this point in his career.

Nailed it.

Just read the All 22 breakdown and as I suspected Alex really struggled against Dallas. Happy feet, hesitant and missed numerous open guys by checking down to fast. I think banged up oline has gotten to him. Break comes at good time for him as well. Hill broke wide open deep on one play and Alex passed to double covered Hunt

Just read the All 22 breakdown and as I suspected Alex really struggled against Dallas. Happy feet, hesitant and missed numerous open guys by checking down to fast. I think banged up oline has gotten to him. Break comes at good time for him as well. Hill broke wide open deep on one play and Alex passed to double covered Hunt

Teams aren't respecting the pass again.

Hence, the the run game struggles...?

Why respect the pass? The WR1 isn't a WR1, the tight end is persistently bracketed, and the quarterback doesn't know where the WR2 will be (and neither does the WR2).

All 22 breakdown counted a whopping 9 plus missed throws to open WRs on Sunday. Alex reverted back to the quick checkdown artist that can win games with a great defense but not now.

All 22 breakdown counted a whopping 9 plus missed throws to open WRs on Sunday. Alex reverted back to the quick checkdown artist that can win games with a great defense but not now.

You're repeating yourself, and not acknowledging a contributing factor. Also, you're not reading that stat right: It's not missing an open throw, but rather, not throwing to an open receiver. Two different things.

This is the Alex Smith I see at all times. Even when I know that he has played much better than this a good part of this season, this is still what I picture when I think of Alex Smith. That "all-22" on AP, sums up my opinion of him. This is the guy I EXPECT to see when the playoffs roll around.

I know we've been around and around over the years Mike. And I know deep down he is an above average QB. Some days he's a good QB, and at times this season he's been very good to great. But this should not be happening to a 13 year vet. He's been in this offense for too long, he's seen every look that opposing defenses and coordinators have to throw at him, he's got too many weapons around him, etc.

It just doesn't make sense. 

This guy is never going to be able to be counted on consistently in the big moments. Here we are in week 9 and he is inexplicably getting happy feet and seeing ghosts again. Why can't this guy stare down the gun barrel? He just doesn't have IT.  You see that gif where he panicked and threw at Hunts feet? The defender that was closest to him was KNOCKED TO THE FUCKING GROUND. And he didn't even consider rolling to the right, resetting and finding someone open. He just checked down. It was literally instinctive on his part. You can't argue this. You know which play I'm referencing.

I thought earlier in the year that this team had something special. But the bottom line is that our defense sucks, and our offense is regressing. This season is going to end exactly like the last one did. And how many years does it take to build a decent offensive line? Christ we haven't had one since Vermeil left.

This is the Alex Smith I see at all times. Even when I know that he has played much better than this a good part of this season, this is still what I picture when I think of Alex Smith. That "all-22" on AP, sums up my opinion of him. This is the guy I EXPECT to see when the playoffs roll around.

I know we've been around and around over the years Mike. And I know deep down he is an above average QB. Some days he's a good QB, and at times this season he's been very good to great. But this should not be happening to a 13 year vet. He's been in this offense for too long, he's seen every look that opposing defenses and coordinators have to throw at him, he's got too many weapons around him, etc.

This guy is never going to be able to be counted on consistently in the big moments. Here we are in week 9 and he is inexplicably getting happy feet and seeing ghosts again. Why can't this guy stare down the gun barrel? He just doesn't have IT.  You see that gif where he panicked and threw at Hunts feet? The defender that was closest to him was KNOCKED TO THE FUCKING GROUND. And he didn't even consider rolling to the right, resetting and finding someone open. He just checked down. It was literally instinctive on his part. You can't argue this. You know which play I'm referencing.

I thought earlier in the year that this team had something special. But the bottom line is that our defense sucks, and our offense is regressing. This season is going to end exactly like the last one did. And how many years does it take to build a decent offensive line? Christ we haven't had one since Vermeil left.

Regrettably, there are a lot of people like you who ignore all of the good and take all of the bad. The offense has regressed because since the start of the season, three starting players on offense have missed four or more games, and the losses have been heaviest in recent weeks. The Chiefs are 1-3 in the weeks following Conley's achilles tear. I called it then: That was the biggest injury of the Chiefs' season. The three games the Chiefs have lost are Demarcus Robinson's three career starts.

You're repeating yourself, and not acknowledging a contributing factor. Also, you're not reading that stat right: It's not missing an open throw, but rather, not throwing to an open receiver. Two different things.

The problem Alex has is not accuracy even to middle range (although he's clearly below average as a deep thrower). His problems come when he starts to feel pressure that isn't there and speeds up his progressions. And that was the clear case on Sunday. All in him. When you have a clean pocket, the last thing he should be doing is drifting backwards. That's QB 101. Furthermore go read and watch and you see players breaking open that he doesn't see because he checks down way to fast. It happened at least 9 times. That's awful.

Finally I appreciate and defend Alex Smith on many ocassions. He's a solid QB who rarely makes game killing mistakes and will always keep a solid team around him in the game. But this year with our defense not as good we have to have an Alex better than he's ever been in his career. And for a month he was delivering. But the last month we are seeing a regression to the mean and that can't happen if we want any chance to win a Suoer Bowl. Andy has to find a way to get him locked back in or we are in trouble.

Trying to deny his clear issues won't help anything. I'm sure Andy and Matt Nagy are watching film and seeing the same thing.

And again this is why we drafted an elite arm talent so that we have the potential to get the high level play much more consistently.

The problem Alex has is not accuracy even to middle range (although he's clearly below average as a deep thrower). His problems come when he starts to feel pressure that isn't there and speeds up his progressions. And that was the clear case on Sunday. All in him. When you have a clean pocket, the last thing he should be doing is drifting backwards. That's QB 101. Furthermore go read and watch and you see players breaking open that he doesn't see because he checks down way to fast. It happened at least 9 times. That's awful.

Finally I appreciate and defend Alex Smith on many ocassions. He's a solid QB who rarely makes game killing mistakes and will always keep a solid team around him in the game. But this year with our defense not as good we have to have an Alex better than he's ever been in his career. And for a month he was delivering. But the last month we are seeing a regression to the mean and that can't happen if we want any chance to win a Suoer Bowl. Andy has to find a way to get him locked back in or we are in trouble.

Trying to deny his clear issues won't help anything. I'm sure Andy and Matt Nagy are watching film and seeing the same thing.

Besides that throw to Hunt’s feet and being a tad late on that interception, I didn’t see any cause of alarm for Smith.

I saw a poor OL

This guy is never going to be able to be counted on consistently in the big moments. Here we are in week 9 and he is inexplicably getting happy feet and seeing ghosts again. Why can't this guy stare down the gun barrel? He just doesn't have IT. You see that gif where he panicked and threw at Hunts feet? The defender that was closest to him was KNOCKED TO THE FUCKING GROUND. And he didn't even consider rolling to the right, resetting and finding someone open. He just checked down. It was literally instinctive on his part. You can't argue this. You know which play I'm referencing.

This is where we get into it about Alex at times because I read this All 22 every week and he's rarely as bad as he was vs Dallas. He's also rarely been as good as he was the first 5 weeks or so. Zero doubt we drafted Mahomes because Andy wants more consistent upside and thinks he can coach him into an Alex light when it comes to protecting the ball. It's why our future is so exciting to me even though there will be growing pains. We've rarely seen it but it was obvious how a QB playing at a very high level can cover up some weaknesses elsewhere.

But likewise I'm not st all ready to give up on this season yet. If we at least know that Alex has really regressed from earlier, it gives me some hope Andy can coax some more of that play out of him. It's almost like Andy needs to hammer home the point, this is our last stand together,eye go for the jugular and not worry about failing. If film had shown Alex played well or even solid, it would be much more discouraging to me.

It was a brutal first 9 week schedule. Toughest in the NFL. And when we had our A game we did look like a team very capable of competing in January. That's not the team we've seen the last month. So I'm not sold we know exactly what we have yet with all the injuries and such. But at least if we play well we know we can beat nearly anyone.

Don't worry, Smith is doing his "mean" now so he can progress to "above the mean" later in the season. No reason to regress to the mean in the playoffs. I would like a good book and five games. Including playoffs, all I care is that we win our last four games. One of those can be in the regular season if needed (bye week).

Besides that throw to Hunt’s feet and being a tad late on that interception, I didn’t see any cause of alarm for Smith.

I saw a poor OL

Alex almost never loses games, but now we need him to actually be aggressive and win games. He did just the opposite and reverted back to conservative to the hilt Alex. That won't work with this team. Andy has to hammer that point home with him. We can't afford to let open WRs downfield not get the ball because Alex sees ghosts. And that's indeed what happens when our oline isn't playing well. He takes what happened on one play and let's it get in his head the next.

Somehow he overcame this early, but now it's back. Film doesn't lie. We cannot have that.

Regrettably, there are a lot of people like you who ignore all of the good and take all of the bad. The offense has regressed because since the start of the season, three starting players on offense have missed four or more games, and the losses have been heaviest in recent weeks. The Chiefs are 1-3 in the weeks following Conley's achilles tear. I called it then: That was the biggest injury of the Chiefs' season. The three games the Chiefs have lost are Demarcus Robinson's three career starts.

Yes it is really hard to replace the production of 11 catches in 5 games.  I don't think there are enough intangibles to support this statement.  Also has Alex ever done anything wrong in your eyes, I am usually not as hard on him as other people but man you must be related.

Yes it is really hard to replace the production of 11 catches in 5 games. I don't think there are enough intangibles to support this statement. Also has Alex ever done anything wrong in your eyes, I am usually not as hard on him as other people but man you must be related.

Chris Conley a bigger injury than Eric Berry? He had to be laughing when he suggested as much.

Smith does not want to get injured and have a repeat of that final 9er year. He’s trying to win it all, he really is.

Let’s see what he can do in the final stretch of the seazon

Any reasonable person knows this is Alex's team and our best hope to give several future Chiefs Hall of Famers on their last leg here a final chance at a ring. 

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017/11/8/16622178/alex-smith-all-22-vs-the-cowboys-bad-alex-returns

Just saw it. Smith is far to blame for that loss. The OL was bad. LDT and Morse this was their first game back so I’ll cut them some slack but this has got to change

I saw/read a stat that after KC made it 17-14 DAL ran 25 plays while KC ran 3 to make it 28-17.

Yep, all Alex Smith's fault.

*sarcasm*

Archived