9 carries. This is an issue. It's not popular to put blame on coach because he doesn't play, but I blame Reid for the chiefs struggles equally. I have done so every year equally. Every year he loses his damn mind.

The defensive struggle is partially an effect of no ball control recently. Yes I know the oline isn't blocking well; you have to stick with it. Wear them down. A great player like hunt will eventually break one and wear the defense down.

Great example today. AP had about 11 carries for 20 ish yards..did arz. Give up running then all? No. did you see his final numbers ? Huge.

This isn't a new issue with Reid. When Charles was healthy he'd forget about him for games at a time.

Playing Pitt and Dallas and New England and even the raiders , you have to be able to run the ball and control some clock.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah Reid is notorious for abandoning the run without cause. He's done it his entire playcalling career. He did it with Charles too.

The guy just has a real issue calling a cohesive 60 minute game. We get down around the goal line and he thinks it's time to outsmart everyone.

He's a very good coach but if he ever handed over playcalling he could be a great one. Would allow him to look at our defense more. Btw when Hunt has 19 or more carries we are undefeated. 18 or less...winless.

he could have had 30 carries...There were no holes. O line got manhandled yet again.

this time we had Morse and the Frenchman.

pathetic

w

West you know as well as I do, something would have happened within those 30 carries. You don't just stop running. Sadly though, cowboys dline isn't good

West you know as well as I do, something would have happened within those 30 carries. You don't just stop running. Sadly though, cowboys dline isn't good

You are right. The cowboys oline is not very good, but we got behind and the oline was getting punked.

That's all teams will do now. Stack the box and take Kareem Hunt out of the game. They will force Alex Smith to make plays down the field against a zone defense. Right now it hasn't worked. Need to keep feeding Hunt. I agree the O-line isn't producing because they need identity. Keep pounding the rock and create some rhythm and timing.

That's all teams will do now. Stack the box and take Kareem Hunt out of the game. They will force Alex Smith to make plays down the field against a zone defense. Right now it hasn't worked. Need to keep feeding Hunt. I agree the O-line isn't producing because they need identity. Keep pounding the rock and create some rhythm and timing.

Keep pounding the rock until it's 3rd long on every series?

We tried that yesterday and against Denver, Oakland and Pitt.

All that does is put AS11 and this shitty oline  in bad passing situations.

IMO, if Andy mixes it up a little with different formations and some playaction, maybe the running game can get going.

For the last 3 games, the offense has looked very predictable. Everyone knows we're going to run the ball when we line up in a 2-3 TE set, or Sherman is on the field, or Smith is under center.

Opposing defenses stack the box, and bracket Kelce and Hill with a zone defense. Couple that with a soft ass Zone Blocking scheme, and that equals NO RUNNING GAME.

9 carries. This is an issue. It's not popular to put blame on coach because he doesn't play, but I blame Reid for the chiefs struggles equally. I have done so every year equally. Every year he loses his damn mind.

The defensive struggle is partially an effect of no ball control recently. Yes I know the oline isn't blocking well; you have to stick with it. Wear them down. A great player like hunt will eventually break one and wear the defense down.

Great example today. AP had about 11 carries for 20 ish yards..did arz. Give up running then all? No. did you see his final numbers ? Huge.

This isn't a new issue with Reid. When Charles was healthy he'd forget about him for games at a time.

Playing Pitt and Dallas and New England and even the raiders , you have to be able to run the ball and control some clock.

Can't argue with this. About once a season we have this discussion and normally Andy will get back on track and running the ball. No excuse for only 9 carries period. 

he could have had 30 carries...There were no holes. O line got manhandled yet again.

pathetic

w

Yep. Can’t believe we are finally completely healthy and block worse than we were hurt. Maybe LDT and Morse need a few games to get back in the groove, but Schwartz got worked over pretty bad as well.

It would make a little sense if Andy didn’t want to beat Hunt up like that for little gain. If Alex goes down, we have a back up that could produce at a high level (maybe). If Hunt goes down, season over.

running the ball takes an attitude and the chiefs don't have it right now. Its about beating the shit out the man lined up across from you. I loved when Vermeil would run the ball with Holmes - Richardson out front within the red zone. People knew it was coming but they did it anyways. The game where vermeil and boys played Baltimore...Ray Lewis knew it was coming and couldn't stop it. That's what we need to do with Hunt.

We have one of the best full backs in the game and we don't use him.

running the ball takes an attitude and the chiefs don't have it right now. Its about beating the shit out the man lined up across from you. I loved when Vermeil would run the ball with Holmes - Richardson out front within the red zone. People knew it was coming but they did it anyways. The game where vermeil and boys played Baltimore...Ray Lewis knew it was coming and couldn't stop it. That's what we need to do with Hunt.

We have one of the best full backs in the game and we don't use him.

Of course that may have been the best offensive line in the past two decades we had at that time. And the worst defense in the history of football. This line is more finesse and speed and meant to get out to the second level and spring big plays. We do not have the guard play to just line up and maul people. That does not however mean we should only the run the ball 12 times all game. Thats ridiculous. 

pathetic

w

Kareem had 9 carries for 36 yards. Thats more yards per carry than Ezekiel Elliott got. You can't just abandon run game. 

Of course that may have been the best offensive line in the past two decades we had at that time. And the worst defense in the history of football. This line is more finesse and speed and meant to get out to the second level and spring big plays. We do not have the guard play to just line up and maul people. That does not however mean we should only the run the ball 12 times all game. Thats ridiculous. 

Yes it was one of the best o lines, but my point is you need an attitude to run the football. You need to call it and don't give shit if they know its coming. That's my point. It empowers everyone and gives the team the attitude to kick some ass.

It seemed that the very limited number of rushes were all in 1st down situations. Run the ball 30 times a game (yeah right), just not every first down! You like to pass so much andy? Start with the pass, run off of it. Andy is too damned smart and experienced to suffer from some of these basic fundamental problems this team is. We are good at situational football, just suffer a few lapses a game and its costly.. that and the penalties are not at all indicative of an Andy led team. I wish he didn't get distracted every season from the value of an unobvious balance to help situational football on an every down basis. Especially when you have a player who just set all time marks in the first half of his rookie season as a rb. You gotta pound the rock if youre gunna win in the playoffs consistently. I love big reds creativity, he does get too damned cute with a playcall every once in a while tho.

Can't fault Andy at all.   We are getting nothing out of the running game early, so Andy "abandons" the running game, and tries other things to get the offense going.  Teams are keying on Kareem after his great start.  You have to try and hurt them in other ways when they are doing that, and loosen up the run later.  That's what a good Coach and play caller is supposed to do.   

Can't fault Andy at all.   We are getting nothing out of the running game early, so Andy "abandons" the running game, and tries other things to get the offense going.  Teams are keying on Kareem after his great start.  You have to try and hurt them in other ways when they are doing that, and loosen up the run later.  That's what a good Coach and play caller is supposed to do.

34 passes for Smith and 9 runs for Hunt is what Reid is supposed to do huh?

Hunt's first 5 carries went for 7 yards yesterday.   There's been a similar pattern the last few games.  But Andy should keep running, and getting 3 and outs.    :huh: .  If the run works, by all means keep running.   When it's not working, try other things.   

"Hunt's first 5 carries went for 7 yards yesterday. There's been a similar pattern the last few games. But Andy should keep running, and getting 3 and outs. :huh: . If the run works, by all means keep running. When it's not working, try other things."

Hunt with 19 or more carries = Chiefs 6-0. Hunt 18 or less carries = Chiefs 0-3.

Archived