6-3 Not Too Bad

When I looked at this 9 game stretch to open the season I thought 5 wins would be good. 6-3 with this brutal schedule is a victory. Game after game tough match ups and funky playing days too. You dont win anything until you get to the dance.

Yes lots of room for improvement. I have accepted an average defense. Well every team has issues and is one major key injury from big problems. NFL salary cap works. Very competitive game to game. 

Thank goodness for the bye week. Last seven games look a bit easier. Chiefs end up 11-5 and win the AFC West. I love winning the West.  Then you hope you get he breaks and the calls in the playoffs. Could care less about a bye week or home field. Has not helped KC much in the Past. Just do what you need to do each week to win.

Not a fantasy player so I could care less about all the overwhelming stats and rankings.

6-3 I will Take THAT Every Season!

The problem is...what have you done for me lately...and lately the Chiefs have lost 3 of 4. Both offense and defense have regressed and while other coaching staffs are taking what they learned the first 4-6 games and evolving, the Chiefs coaching staff is somewhere in la la land regressing all the way back 2-3 years...

I know this sounds terrible, but I’d rather keep losing, not make the playoffs and get higher draft picks than deal with another division title and first round exit.

I didn’t have huge expectations this season. Our division looked stout and our schedule was a nightmare. I didn’t expect to win the division, but thought we might be able to put together enough wins to get in the wildcard. But at least I felt back then that our team would actually be better than last year. Instead we took a step back.

I’m so disappointed in this team. Not just personel...mostly in the coaching. You have a guy that EVERYONE says is one of the most dynamic players in the league. You got him the ball constantly in your first 5 games...then...you just quit. Even though he still amazes you every time he touches the ball. You had this brilliant offensive scheme, with misdirections, fakes, motions, chaos...and it worked....then you just stopped... you have a defense full of talent, and had a great gameplan that was a creative mix of pressure and max coverage....then just stopped...

I didn’t have huge expectations this season. Our division looked stout and our schedule was a nightmare.

I always knew that Derek Carr and the Raiders were overrated, and that the Trevor Siemian experiment would eventually meet its end in Denver.

The schedule has been awful, but winning the game in New England was huge. Unfortunately, it seems that the loss to the Steelers is the one that will come back to bite the Chiefs.

At the beginning of the season 6-3 after 9 games would have been acceptable to most, including me. However I think there's a major issue regarding the manner of these 3 losses as well as couple wins. Chiefs are playing like a playoff contender and sure look to be just that so far. I think Chiefs will lose at most 2 games and win the division, but the performance on the field over the last month is not promising for the playoffs so another early exit is very likely. Hopefully some of the injured players will return to make a major difference but the entire team needs significant improvement. 

The problem is...what have you done for me lately...and lately the Chiefs have lost 3 of 4. Both offense and defense have regressed and while other coaching staffs are taking what they learned the first 4-6 games and evolving, the Chiefs coaching staff is somewhere in la la land regressing all the way back 2-3 years...

I know this sounds terrible, but I’d rather keep losing, not make the playoffs and get higher draft picks than deal with another division title and first round exit.

I didn’t have huge expectations this season. Our division looked stout and our schedule was a nightmare. I didn’t expect to win the division, but thought we might be able to put together enough wins to get in the wildcard. But at least I felt back then that our team would actually be better than last year. Instead we took a step back.

I’m so disappointed in this team. Not just personel...mostly in the coaching. You have a guy that EVERYONE says is one of the most dynamic players in the league. You got him the ball constantly in your first 5 games...then...you just quit. Even though he still amazes you every time he touches the ball. You had this brilliant offensive scheme, with misdirections, fakes, motions, chaos...and it worked....then you just stopped... you have a defense full of talent, and had a great gameplan that was a creative mix of pressure and max coverage....then just stopped...

I don't think it's the coaching, at least not the way you do. I think teams are game planning well and stopping all those things you mentioned the Chiefs coaching did well. That's why they stop doing some things. They just seem to be a step behind.

I'm frustrated like you and others, but just trying to look at things realistically. I don't think the Chiefs have the talent on defense that some have mentioned. They have Houston, maybe Peters, and everyone else is inconsistent. They don't tackle well, miss plays, and get physically beaten. 

My hope is that Mahomes is the real deal, and along with Hunt contributing; the Chiefs can draft well, and build better players around him. 

There were some positives in there on defense. We held E Elliott to under 100 yards despite 27 carries. Kevin Pierre Louis and Reggie Ragland seem to flash some signs of life at ILB. Dez Bryant had a pedestrian game. And Tamba actually showed up out of nowhere and had some impact. If Dee Fords back could get healthy our pass rush could get a real boost. And that Hail Mary play st the end of the half was a thing of beauty from Andy and Tyreek. That was no fluke.
Bottom line thought js We dared Prescott to beat us and he did just that. Backside containment wasn't there and. We needed it. And their second WR killed us while we got almost none from ours and only had 9 carries for Kareem Hunt. I'd feel better about beating Pitt if we could hold Bell like we did Elliott.

Chiefs are playing like a playoff contender and sure look to be just that so far.

Not the way our defense is playing of late

We can stop the run ok... but our secondary is getting killed... with offenses that offer nothing special

The positive thread is nice. “Same old Chiefs” talk is wearing me out. Alex Smith in the MVP discussions? Top 10 offense? Rookie of the year candidate at RB? The defense is our weakness?

Exactly how is this the same old Chiefs? We lost a few games. So what. We have as many wins as any one in the AFC. We are in first place. Thank god we are not 4-5. Holy shit.

As mentioned above, its the way the 3 losses have come. What gets me is the raiders game and the cowboys game. 2 plays that ended up in TD. Raider game came down to 3rd and 22 or something and we rush 3..they convert. Cowboy game same thing...3rd and whatever and we rush 3. I don't care what level of football you coach, you send more than they can block. The percentages show they will come up short. Not only that, those are prime down and distances for INT.  Why?

6-3 and in position to make a run. These remaining games will be difficult. Reid better not underestimate the teams and there records.

We are, at best the 4th best team in the AFC(Pitt, NE, Jax ahead of us for sure), and unless we collapse, we should win the division.  My pre season goal was to make the playoffs, so the draft choice we lose is at least bottom 20, so I'll be satisfied if that occurs.  

Although Alex has had a good season, and exceeded expectations, he is not a good enough QB to overcome this bottom feeding defense.   So a playoff #3 or #4 seed, maybe even a playoff win if we face a Tenn or Buffalo @ Arrowhead would be a great season.  Not that I wouldn't love more, but it's not realistic to expect more. 

Next  year, and for the next decade hopefully, we will have a QB that can lift a team beyond it's roster weaknesses in other areas, and I can't wait.  

Yeah. It is frustrating that the strength of the team last year is the biggest weakness this year with basically the same crew. Yes no Berry, but we got Houston back. No Poe but we have an upgrade with Logan.

We took the ball away and kept people out of the end zone with these guys last year. We can get back to that. Jones, Logan, Nacho, and Bailey are a good group. Not playing like it right now. Schwartz, LDT, Morse and Fisher are an average group just not playing like it right now.

Secondary is rough but it was last year as well. If we have a bad stretch this is the time to have it. We need to get hot in December and go into the playoffs strong.

Should be OK. On the bright side we held Elliott to 80 some. It is frustrating that Dallas had 3 possessions before we got a first down. That’s a tough spot to put a defense in.

The positive thread is nice. “Same old Chiefs” talk is wearing me out. Alex Smith in the MVP discussions? Top 10 offense? Rookie of the year candidate at RB? The defense is our weakness?

Exactly how is this the same old Chiefs? We lost a few games. So what. We have as many wins as any one in the AFC. We are in first place. Thank god we are not 4-5. Holy shit.

It's more like it's the same old Chiefs' fans.

We played one of the most unique and difficult first 9 week schedules I can ever remember. Five prime time games is just absurd. Plus we played the Eagles. Patriots, Cowboys, Steelers, and a healthy Texans team. This guarantees nothing going forward as we clearly limped into the bye week. But we've seen the best this league has to offer and overall clearly fared just fine.

Question is are our personel losses being exploited now and not fixable until the offseason or do we have players here now to adjust to opponents adjustments.

It's more like it's the same old Chiefs' fans.

Fans that are sitting through the same story every single year only to see that the Chiefs are not a SB contender?

Those fans.

Seriously quit blaming the fans who took over Dallas to waste money on a Chiefs team that played like garbage because I was one of those fans.

I'm tired of being a "good but not great" team that doesn't win in January. I've seen this for 35 years, so spare the fans the blame because they've been the best and most accomplished thing about this franchise for the last 40 years.

Just back from Down Under...

Guys, we are a soft team. One can argue scheme on defense...and I am fine with that.

But the O-line can not get us in the end zone if we have a first and goal inside the 10.

We have to go with gimmkick plays and stupid stuff when we should just blow open a hole and let Hunt in.

THAT DOES NOT HAPPEN. Also, how many times have we needed just "one more first down" to end a game and we do not get it.

Countless over the past 2 years.

Maybe the line needs to get healthy, maybe LDT and Morse will be an upgrade....

but I am not buying in until I see it happen. This looks like a "one and done" playoff team

w

My mid-season/bye week assesment:

Going back to pre-season and seeing 6-3 at 9 games I would've taken it in a heartbeat with this schedule.

I had us at 5-4 at this point with losses to NE, PIT, DAL and HOU.  The 1 game might not be much, but it was against NE.

The main issue with this team for me at the 9 game mark is just how bad and disappointing the defense is.  I understand they've played most of the league's top offenses, but the performances out of the defense are completely unacceptable.  Sure, the offense has sputtered here and there but overall I can't be upset considering how well they've played and when your defense is this bad, it puts a ton of pressure on the offense to go out and score on every drive and that's just not going to happen. 

During the bye week, Sutton and Reid have GOT to figure out what to do on defense.  They have 2 weeks to get ready for a 1-7 team that can be easily beat down. If we can't hold down the Giants I'll be even more disappointed and sold on the fact that we can't win in the playoffs.

However, consider this...

In the past 2 seasons, 2015 and 2016, the Chiefs have used the bye week very efficiently.  In 2015, they limped into the bye 3-5, although on a 2 game win streak.  In week 10, they came out and beat down Denver on the road.  They reeled off 7 more straight wins to close out the reg. season.  In 2016, they had just gotten destroyed @PIT in week 4, came out in week 6 and thumped OAK on the road and went 10-2 after the bye to finish 12-4.

Let's hope that's the case this year, we could easily go 7-0 or 6-1 if the past 2 seasons are any indication of how effective Reid has used the bye week.  We just happen to be in a better spot record wise this year at the bye than in the past 2 seasons, but with similar issues.  If we have the same success after the bye then things will be looking really good.

For me though, the defense has got to get it figured out.

Just back from Down Under...

Guys, we are a soft team. One can argue scheme on defense...and I am fine with that.

But the O-line can not get us in the end zone if we have a first and goal inside the 10.

We have to go with gimmkick plays and stupid stuff when we should just blow open a hole and let Hunt in.

THAT DOES NOT HAPPEN. Also, how many times have we needed just "one more first down" to end a game and we do not get it.

Countless over the past 2 years.

Maybe the line needs to get healthy, maybe LDT and Morse will be an upgrade....

but I am not buying in until I see it happen. This looks like a "one and done" playoff team

w

I'm not saying your premise is necessarily wrong. And we do appear more of a finesse team that struggles with physicality. But we haven't blown countless 4th quarter leads the last two years.  Its happened once last year against Tenn and once this year vs Oakland. 

Archived