6-3 Not Too Bad

I'm not saying your premise is necessarily wrong. And we do appear more of a finesse team that struggles with physicality. But we haven't blown countless 4th quarter leads the last two years.  Its happened once last year against Tenn and once this year vs Oakland. 

but you can't deny that we have been playing soft as cotton up front...At least lately.

We played one of the most unique and difficult first 9 week schedules I can ever remember. Five prime time games is just absurd. Plus we played the Eagles. Patriots, Cowboys, Steelers, and a healthy Texans team. This guarantees nothing going forward as we clearly limped into the bye week. But we've seen the best this league has to offer and overall clearly fared just fine.

Question is are our personel losses being exploited now and not fixable until the offseason or do we have players here now to adjust to opponents adjustments.

That's the million dollar question. 

That's the million dollar question. 

I would suggest KPL/Ragland in the base defense, and DJ and KPL in the Nickel. Mitchell in place of Acker, and Murray playing as the FS, with Parker at Strong. No Sorenson, except in that weird 3 Safety package.

I also believe that if Smith starts throwing the ball to D Robinson, the Conley injury may not seem so impactful.

Top all this off with Reid demanding that these guys start playing football like they want to win a champion ship, and maybe just maybe we can get to the Promised Land. (Talking to you Houston, Jones and Bailey)

I am not a ESPN Insider...but they have an article on the NFL's Worst Front 7's on Defense and the picture to kick it off is the Chiefs...

w

Wow...If you a Chiefs player on that Front 7, how can you not see/read this and feel like shit!

Damn, these guys need show some damn pride, and play like men.

Fans that are sitting through the same story every single year only to see that the Chiefs are not a SB contender?

Those fans.

Seriously quit blaming the fans who took over Dallas to waste money on a Chiefs team that played like garbage because I was one of those fans.

I'm tired of being a "good but not great" team that doesn't win in January. I've seen this for 35 years, so spare the fans the blame because they've been the best and most accomplished thing about this franchise for the last 40 years.

Welcome to the board. Now if you would have gone to New England instead it would have been a different experience. Reality is no team wins them all but all teams look bad at points. At least the Chiefs had a 2nd half lead and you got to see one of the best "hail mary" plays ever. I was in Denver in the Matt Cassel era and we were down 35-0 at halftime. How was the Jerry Dome by the way? Looks like another city where the so called boycott hasn't taken hold. 

Fans that are sitting through the same story every single year only to see that the Chiefs are not a SB contender?

Those fans.

Seriously quit blaming the fans who took over Dallas to waste money on a Chiefs team that played like garbage because I was one of those fans.

I'm tired of being a "good but not great" team that doesn't win in January. I've seen this for 35 years, so spare the fans the blame because they've been the best and most accomplished thing about this franchise for the last 40 years.

No one's forcing you to do anything.  If you can't enjoy football and being a fan then just stop.   

Talking about fans and I'm not talking about anyone specifically, but I really hate when people talk as if they're sophisticated and desire the best as if they are so much better than other folks. What you lack, dear, is ambition. Motivation. Yada, yada, yada. We all fucking want the same thing and while some of us are able to put sports into perspective, we're not some sports content fool. Stop selling us your fine wine.

There was even someone who said that we didn't recognize a great quarterback because we haven't had one. They didn't even say since Lenny. They didn't even say an over the hill Montana. They said ever. That is fine to say that if you're putting yourself in the same boat. Because what we lack isn't the ability to look around other teams and see them. They just haven't been on our team. But if you're talking about Joe Montana and San Francisco, we don't need any fans from other teams. Congratufuckinglation's that you were a fan of another team that had a great quarterback and moved here to lecture us. Highly accomplished.

I would suggest KPL/Ragland in the base defense, and DJ and KPL in the Nickel. Mitchell in place of Acker, and Murray playing as the FS, with Parker at Strong. No Sorenson, except in that weird 3 Safety package.

I also believe that if Smith starts throwing the ball to D Robinson, the Conley injury may not seem so impactful.

Top all this off with Reid demanding that these guys start playing football like they want to win a champion ship, and maybe just maybe we can get to the Promised Land. (Talking to you Houston, Jones and Bailey)

I would like to see all those changes.   Acker is not a starting NFL CB.   He's at best a 4th stringer, and special teamer.  Mitchell is just a better player, much more competitive, and I hope they are done with the Acker as starter experiment.   

I am not a ESPN Insider...but they have an article on the NFL's Worst Front 7's on Defense and the picture to kick it off is the Chiefs...

w

Bottom five defensive front sevens

31. Kansas City Chiefs
Grade: F

If you want to know why the Chiefs have collapsed after starting 5-0, look no further than this group. Kansas City's pass rush has been nearly non-existent, as the Chiefs place 28th in PPR (22.5), 25th in QC (10.8) and 31st in both TIP (2.5) and TBP (2.8). The rush defense has been equally atrocious, as Kansas City ranks 28th in YBCT (2.8), 31st in GBP (49.3) and 30th in GBP (3.9).

Future outlook: Following a bye in Week 10, the Chiefs have matchups against the Giants and Buffalo, both of whom have offensive blocking walls that received B grades. Kansas City finally gets a break in Week 12 when it faces a Jets blocking wall that received a D-minus.

I'm glad our front 7 got ripped into. They need a eye opener. It's better now then later in the playoffs. We got the BYE to patch it up we'll make it happen BOYS.

Patch it up with what? It's the same guys. Houston isn't 100%. Looks like he is just damaged goods now. Will play hurt and I give him points for it but not nearly as effective. DJ is done. Front 3 gets little penetration. 2nd CB is bad regardless if it's Mitchell or Acker. These are not patch it up problems. They are personnel issues. We'll make the playoffs but the defense is pourous and soft. Bad combination for a team with high playoff aspirations.

I would like to see all those changes.   Acker is not a starting NFL CB.   He's at best a 4th stringer, and special teamer.  Mitchell is just a better player, much more competitive, and I hope they are done with the Acker as starter experiment.   

agree 100%.

Patch it up with what? It's the same guys. Houston isn't 100%. Looks like he is just damaged goods now. Will play hurt and I give him points for it but not nearly as effective. DJ is done. Front 3 gets little penetration. 2nd CB is bad regardless if it's Mitchell or Acker. These are not patch it up problems. They are personnel issues. We'll make the playoffs but the defense is pourous and soft. Bad combination for a team with high playoff aspirations.

IMO, we have most of the ingredients to "right this ship". Jones, Bailey, RNR, Logan, Miller and Houston are all good players.  They just need to play with some DAMN urgency!! Like they want to win! To me when I watch them, it just looks like they are out there going thru the motions. No heart, no intensity, no 'will to destroy the man" in front of them.

I really think the KPL/Ragland audition against Dallas went very well, and we will see them lining up in the base 3-4 defense. That change right there will improve our rush defense...(Whenever dipshit Sutton decides to line up in it.) Otherwise, we will probably continue to see the DJ/KPL combination in the Nickel, which I think is an improvement over the DJ/Sorenson combo.

Mitchell, Nelson Peters and Parker is all we have to work with, and I think that's a pretty average to above average group.  As for SS, I think you have to go with Sorenson for the "in the box" SS. And Murray for the deep cover, or man to man SS. Neither one of them can cover really well, but Murray is better than Sorenson in coverage. (Sorenson just sucks at tackling because something is wrong with his arms that prevents him from wrapping them around things....)

I do think the defense will play better after the bye, if not simply because of the weak ass schedule we have. I mean, the defense was formidable during that 5-0 stretch, so there's no reason that can't at least get back to that..right?

It's also the game guys from last year they had a pretty good defense with. 

The Chiefs have been fantastic after the bye week the past 2 seasons.

Let's give them that chance again to fix the defense and hiccups on offense.

EDIT: 

Just did the math, after the bye week in 2015 and 2016 the Chiefs were a combined 18-2. 

IMO, we have most of the ingredients to "right this ship". Jones, Bailey, RNR, Logan, Miller and Houston are all good players. They just need to play with some DAMN urgency!! Like they want to win! To me when I watch them, it just looks like they are out there going thru the motions. No heart, no intensity, no 'will to destroy the man" in front of them.

I really think the KPL/Ragland audition against Dallas went very well, and we will see them lining up in the base 3-4 defense. That change right there will improve our rush defense...(Whenever dipshit Sutton decides to line up in it.) Otherwise, we will probably continue to see the DJ/KPL combination in the Nickel, which I think is an improvement over the DJ/Sorenson combo.

Mitchell, Nelson Peters and Parker is all we have to work with, and I think that's a pretty average to above average group. As for SS, I think you have to go with Sorenson for the "in the box" SS. And Murray for the deep cover, or man to man SS. Neither one of them can cover really well, but Murray is better than Sorenson in coverage. (Sorenson just sucks at tackling because something is wrong with his arms that prevents him from wrapping them around things....)

I do think the defense will play better after the bye, if not simply because of the weak ass schedule we have. I mean, the defense was formidable during that 5-0 stretch, so there's no reason that can't at least get back to that..right?

This is pretty spot on IMO. I thought KPL and Hali were good additions. Ragland is getting better. I also think 3 linemen will help the pass rush as well as the run defense.

It's also the game guys from last year they had a pretty good defense with.

The Chiefs have been fantastic after the bye week the past 2 seasons.

Let's give them that chance again to fix the defense and hiccups on offense.

EDIT:

Just did the math, after the bye week in 2015 and 2016 the Chiefs were a combined 18-2.

Giants are a train wreck so we need to beat them. I don't care if it's ugly or not because it's still an NFL road game.Bills will be a real challenge with McCoy. Hopefully Andys familiarity with him helps. Jets will be a handful in NY but a very winnable game. We need to go at least 2-1. That would put us st 8-4 with only 1 road game left. I'd take that.

Bills are tough. I think they got stomped on a short week, but that happens. They will be tough to beat. Denver also can be a tough game. They destroyed Dallas. It looks to be a much easier schedule than the first half, but this is the NFL. A good team can get rolled by a bad team pretty easily.

Archived