Packers are horrible without AR

Mloe68

No way we would be this inept if we lost Alex. They are getting blown out at home by an average team.

It's too bad Brett Hundley wasn't a clutch blocker on Mason Crosby's opening field goal attempt. It's too bad that Brett Hundley drew the Unnecessary Roughness call on the Lions' first possession so that the Lions got the spark they needed to drive downfield for the touchdown. It's too bad that Brett Hundley kept calling shovel passes a la Andy Reid Alex Smith. Aaron Rodgers is always clutch on defense and special teams, and he audibles out of predictable play calls.

It's like you didn't watch the game. Hundley is young, but the Packers aren't struggling solely because of the difference between Hundley and Rodgers. A healthy Rodgers might not have made enough of a difference in a game with as many gaffes as the Packers had.

It's too bad Brett Hundley wasn't a clutch blocker on Mason Crosby's opening field goal attempt. It's too bad that Brett Hundley drew the Unnecessary Roughness call on the Lions' first possession so that the Lions got the spark they needed to drive downfield for the touchdown. It's too bad that Brett Hundley kept calling shovel passes a la Andy Reid Alex Smith. Aaron Rodgers is always clutch on defense and special teams, and he audibles out of predictable play calls.

It's like you didn't watch the game. Hundley is young, but the Packers aren't struggling solely because of the difference between Hundley and Rodgers. A healthy Rodgers might not have made enough of a difference in a game with as many gaffes as the Packers had.

You just made my point for me thank you very much. Somehow Rodgers could consistently coax wins out of a team that looks like a train wreck without him.

You just made my point for me thank you very much. Somehow Rodgers could consistently coax wins out of a team that looks like a train wreck without him.

I don't think Aaron Rodgers would have made that much of a difference, not when every part of the team is falling down. As a reminder, Rodgers loses games, too. A quarterback only does so much, and after that, you get into the 'too much credit, too much blame' realm of media and fan evaluations.

Heck, there are times I wish I could trade offensive lines, and I'd love to see Smith get to play with a receiver corps like what the Packers field.

I don't think Aaron Rodgers would have made that much of a difference, not when every part of the team is falling down. As a reminder, Rodgers loses games, too. A quarterback only does so much, and after that, you get into the 'too much credit, too much blame' realm of media and fan evaluations.

Heck, there are times I wish I could trade offensive lines, and I'd love to see Smith get to play with a receiver corps like what the Packers field.

The Packers are 0-3 since losing Rodgers and have gone from averaging 27.4 PPG to 14.2. He's 100 percent the catalyst behind that team winning games. We've never had that type of QB in my lifetime as a Chiefs fan. We also clearly have a better overall roster then GB because I really doubt we collapse like they have with Mahomes.

That WR core isn't all that. They are always injured

He's 100 percent the catalyst behind that team winning games.

You lose me right there. That's a fan-invented narrative, and doesn't hold any water in the professional league. For one thing, defenses take pride in doing their job regardless of what the offense is doing. Any defense that doesn't isn't going to hold up in the post-season anyway, regardless of who is under center. Hundley isn't as good as Rodgers; I'm obviously not saying that. I am saying that McCarthy isn't lying when he says, "Brett Hundley is not our issue right now". No NFL roster is QUARTERBACK and FIFTY-TWO OTHER GUYS THAT DON'T REALLY MATTER. And I don't care whether you mean, 99% instead of 100%, or even 90% instead of 100%. The quarterback is helpless if he gets his kicker into field goal position and the kicker misses the field goal (see Russell Wilson this past week), if his special teams returner muffs a punt and fumbles another (see Alex Smith in 2011 Conference Championship), or if he gives his team the lead and remains on the sideline until time expires while his bend-then-break defense does what it does best (no citations necessary).

You lose me right there. That's a fan-invented narrative, and doesn't hold any water in the professional league. For one thing, defenses take pride in doing their job regardless of what the offense is doing. Any defense that doesn't isn't going to hold up in the post-season anyway, regardless of who is under center. Hundley isn't as good as Rodgers; I'm obviously not saying that. I am saying that McCarthy isn't lying when he says, "Brett Hundley is not our issue right now". No NFL roster is QUARTERBACK and FIFTY-TWO OTHER GUYS THAT DON'T REALLY MATTER. And I don't care whether you mean, 99% instead of 100%, or even 90% instead of 100%. The quarterback is helpless if he gets his kicker into field goal position and the kicker misses the field goal (see Russell Wilson this past week), if his special teams returner muffs a punt and fumbles another (see Alex Smith in 2011 Conference Championship), or if he gives his team the lead and remains on the sideline until time expires while his bend-then-break defense does what it does best (no citations necessary).

The Packers score half as many points and win less than half as many games without Rodgers. What more do you possibly need to say. That could not possibly be more compelling toward seeing his impact. Exact same thing for Peyton Manning in Indy.

Don't compare Alex Smith to Rodgers as they are in completely different leagues. With Alex injured his teams have produced similiar results. And the reason is because he's more of a product of his team (and Alex is really good at being solid on a solid team) while rare elite QBs like Rodgers are the absolute catalyst. He finds ways to win playoff games when the opportunity is there.

The Packers score half as many points and win less than half as many games without Rodgers. What more do you possibly need to say. That could not possibly be more compelling toward seeing his impact. Exact same thing for Peyton Manning in Indy.

Don't compare Alex Smith to Rodgers as they are in completely different leagues. With Alex injured his teams have produced similiar results. And the reason is because he's more of a product of his team (and Alex is really good at being solid on a solid team) while rare elite QBs like Rodgers are the absolute catalyst. He finds ways to win playoff games when the opportunity is there.

Quality of competition is a factor you haven't acknowledged. The Bengals? Rodgers racked up some easy wins.

And I haven't compared Alex Smith to Aaron Rodgers as a quarterback, although the two are certainly more similar in ability than most acknowledge, as demonstrated when Smith is on a Have Team instead of a Have-Not Team. Unfortunately, Rodgers played on a Halve Team, and got injured for it. Smith has played on a Halve Team for weeks now, and has thus far survived.

Um, they went 2-1, averaged 31 points, beat the Cowboys on the road and made it to the conference championship?

He had as many playoff wins last year as Alex Smith has had in 13 seasons. With Rodgers hurt in 2013 they were like 2-4-1 without him. 7-2 with him. 4-1 with him this year, 0-3 with him hurt. Their offense sees its production cut in half. I've seen the WAR numbers for Rodgers and they are off the charts. Nobody in their right minds would question his impact over a guy like Alex. 

They beat the Seahawks. And the Cowboys on the road. He lost by one on the road to the Falcons. He can only beat the teams on the schedule.

Can we not say a quarterback "beat the Seahawks" when the Packers' defense allowed 9 points over 10 drives? Brett Hundley can help a team win that sort of game. And as for the Cowboys, who scored considerably more points (31 on nine drives), the Packers forced a pick-six and closed out the game with a forced fumble, while the Chiefs managed all of one sack for positive momentum. Aaron Rodgers' offense put up 28 points with the help of an offense that drew only one five-yard penalty on a false start. What's that like, anyway?

We are in agreement that your job is to beat the team that shows up. Meanwhile, it's not like Aaron Rodgers is playing with leftovers. In many respects, the Green Bay roster is superior to that of the Chiefs. Any good reputation the Chiefs' defense retains to this day was built on play back in 2013. They haven't been clutch in more than a handful of games since the end of the 2013 regular season, and sometimes they've been anti-clutch.

Can we not say a quarterback "beat the Seahawks" when the Packers' defense allowed 9 points over 10 drives? Brett Hundley can help a team win that sort of game. And as for the Cowboys, who scored considerably more points (31 on nine drives), the Packers forced a pick-six and closed out the game with a forced fumble, while the Chiefs managed all of one sack for positive momentum. Aaron Rodgers' offense put up 28 points with the help of an offense that drew only one five-yard penalty on a false start. What's that like, anyway?

We are in agreement that your job is to beat the team that shows up. Meanwhile, it's not like Aaron Rodgers is playing with leftovers. In many respects, the Green Bay roster is superior to that of the Chiefs. Any good reputation the Chiefs' defense retains to this day was built on play back in 2013. They haven't been clutch in more than a handful of games since the end of the 2013 regular season, and sometimes they've been anti-clutch.

Well then can we say that the Bengals was an "easy win" when the defense gave up 24 points? Aaron Rodgers is the straw that stirs the drink in Green Bay. Of quarterback of the past 10-15 years, I would have to think Rodgers would be in the top 5 with Roethlisber, Brees, Manning and Brady. His teams play better with him on the field. And it can't be explained by competition.

Offense scores half as many points and team wins less than half as many games. Everything else is nonsense. This is just the type of QB we've never had in my lifetime and the reason we traded so much to get Andy his hand picked guy.

Packers beat the Bears today. In Chicago. The Packers played well. Brett Hundley gets the win. Maybe Aaron Rodgers comes back this year. And then his team will let him down again. Meaning Aaron Rodgers will get the loss.

He's better than Hundley, but even Rodgers requires something of a 'bare minimum'.

Packers beat the Bears today. In Chicago. The Packers played well. Brett Hundley gets the win. Maybe Aaron Rodgers comes back this year. And then his team will let him down again. Meaning Aaron Rodgers will get the loss.

He's better than Hundley, but even Rodgers requires something of a 'bare minimum'.

It seems to me like you are saying Alex Smith is very very replaceable. With pretty much anyone.

It seems to me like you are saying Alex Smith is very very replaceable. With pretty much anyone.

Are you trolling me, or am I trolling you? In either case, I'm not the one trying to argue the indefensible position: That great quarterbacks don't need to be surrounded by a great team to win championships.

Are you trolling me, or am I trolling you? In either case, I'm not the one trying to argue the indefensible position: That great quarterbacks don't need to be surrounded by a great team to win championships.

I'm not trolling anyone. I'm agreeing with you. The Packers crazy success with Rodgers and lack thereof without him is coincidence. The rest of the team just plays good when he's there and they miss blocks and field goals when he isn't. The genius of it escaped me for a while, but now I get it. Something just clicked inside.

I'm not trolling anyone. I'm agreeing with you. The Packers crazy success with Rodgers and lack thereof without him is coincidence. The rest of the team just plays good when he's there and they miss blocks and field goals when he isn't. The genius of it escaped me for a while, but now I get it. Something just clicked inside.

Whatever. Ignore the mitigating factors. Swallow what the media sells you. Rodgers is understood to be one of the top two quarterbacks in the league, and yet he has only one Super Bowl win after 12 years in the league. If you want to believe that every team is composed of a single quarterback, and that none of the other 52 players matter, that's up to you, but it flies in the face of reason. The Packers win with him, and the Packers win without him, just as the Patriots went 3-1 without Tom Brady last year. The Vikings have gone 5-2 with backup Case Keenum.

There are quality quarterbacks in this league burdened by weak supporting casts, and there are weak quarterbacks boosted by solid rosters. Decide for yourself which are quality rosters, but no one that means anything in league circles considers the Packers a weak roster.

Whatever. Ignore the mitigating factors. Swallow what the media sells you. Rodgers is understood to be one of the top two quarterbacks in the league, and yet he has only one Super Bowl win after 12 years in the league. If you want to believe that every team is composed of a single quarterback, and that none of the other 52 players matter, that's up to you, but it flies in the face of reason. The Packers win with him, and the Packers win without him, just as the Patriots went 3-1 without Tom Brady last year. The Vikings have gone 5-2 with backup Case Keenum.

There are quality quarterbacks in this league burdened by weak supporting casts, and there are weak quarterbacks boosted by solid rosters. Decide for yourself which are quality rosters, but no one that means anything in league circles considers the Packers a weak roster.

Why can't you just let me agree with you that Rodgers is not that good and be done with it? He only has the one ring and only been to 4 conference championships in 12 years.

Archived