What do we need to make our offense even better?

We all know the issues with the defense which have been discussed in depth. But the question I have in my mind is, what do we need to add to the offense to make it the best in the NFL with no debates? Right now I think our offense is third in the rankings. And in the most part it's been pretty good to watch this season. BUT, there have been games when it's left a lot to be desired aswell. So here's my thoughts.

1. Kelce is the best TE in the game without doubt imo and he's a vital cog in the offense

2. I believe Hill is developing into a top-class WR and could be our version of Antonio Brown if he continues to work hard on his game.

3. Hunt has shown his brilliance in spurts. He's got to get over this little hump he's in at the moment and if he does then no doubt he's a stud too. 

4. Conley is average imo. I mean no doubt he's made some crucial catches at times but to only have one TD in his career simply isn't good enough for me.

5. Robinson has shown a great ability to get separation and often finds himself in space a whole bunch of times only for Alex to miss him. For him to be legit though he needs to be targeted more and have a few big games to really gain confidence and prove that he can cut it here. I want to see at least three TD's before the end of the season.

6. Wilson is fine as a slot receiver but again if we want to turn our offense into a major player then we may need an upgrade.

7. Alex Smith has done well this season but imo Mahomes needs to start next season.

The O-line could do with some improvement aswell tbh. LDT, Morse and Schwartz aren't bad but we need another quality guard in there as Witzman simply isn't up to standard and Ehinger is a mystery right now.

So, all in all, I'd be inclined to find a quality slot WR and a taller WR to balance out the offense and play alongside Hill, Hunt and Kelce. I'd also like a guard too. 

Akeem Hunt has averaged 5.5 yards per carry. I am kind of surprised they don’t mix him in. What we need though is a big back to pound on defenses while Hunt gets some rest.

West is at 4.3. I just want to save Hunt a little during this stretch to make sure we is fresh for the playoffs. I know they are doing that by not running the ball because we can’t block, but that will get better. All 3 should get touches over the next 7 games IMO.

Akeem Hunt has averaged 5.5 yards per carry. I am kind of surprised they don’t mix him in. What we need though is a big back to pound on defenses while Hunt gets some rest.

West is at 4.3. I just want to save Hunt a little during this stretch to make sure we is fresh for the playoffs. I know they are doing that by not running the ball because we can’t block, but that will get better. All 3 should get touches over the next 7 games IMO.

I don't like akeem hunt. I agree a bigger physical back is needed. We already have west so need for Akeem at RB. DAT and Chesson can return kicks, so no need for Akeem there too.

Bring up George Atkinson (6'1" 220) from the practice squad or sign rookie Brian Hill (6'1" 220) of of Atlanta practice squad.

Oline. Alex is having a career year. Kelce is solid. Hill is having a 1,000 yard season as a WR1. I think Robinson has great upside. Hunt is a premier back when he gets lanes. 

So that brings me to the Oline again. Quite frankly they aren't good enough. Sure there are spurts here and there but they are not maulers and lately every defense we play seems to get penetration regardless if its a run or a pass. Hitting Hunt 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage seems to be a thing now. 

Fix the Oline issues and this offense would be insane.

In order to focus on "even better" I think we should first get to a decent level. Offense has been terrible over the last month, especially the OL. We are putting up points but trick plays and such play a lot more of a role which won't help us in the playoffs. 

The offense needs an identity.  There needs to be a commitment to running the ball, because we tend to go stagnant when Reid abandons the run.  The cute sets need to go away, get back to basics with running and play action.  Too many short routes and not enough in the intermediate range.  Alex Smith isn't a bad QB, but he's not good enough to keep dropping back without a running game.  I feel like 75% of the problem with the offense is Reid getting too cute and outthinking himself.  Then again, this stuff goes hand in hand with horrible clock management, and if Reid hasn't figured these things out by now, he's not going to.  For Reid's offenses to be great, he needs a QB that can compensate for the bad tendencies Reid has like Donovan McNabb did.  Hopefully Mahomes is that guy moving forward (and I'm confident that he is).

Oline and commitment to RUNNING THE DAMN ball.

I agree with this. I think the receivers are fine. Yes they could be better but keeping in mind a commitment to also filling some defensive holes I think fixing the offensive line is the best way to go for now. The Chiefs offense going back to their first loss of the season are facing cover 2 - cover 4 defensive schemes over half of their snaps. Meaning teams are not running blitzes very often and have undersized players in LB roles to make up for the coverage assignments. Yet, the Chiefs offensive line is regularly getting man handled and giving up pressure. They also can't seem to give Kareem Hunt a clean backfield. He's constantly fighting to just get back to the line of scrimmage. The Chiefs offensive failures are the line right now.

Alright, so I see a lot of folks talking about the O-line. So who out of our first choice O-line is not good enough? Witzman? LDT? Morse? Schwartz? Let's start naming names yall :D

I got names for ya...

1. Witzman - Get's beat more times than he wins. He's Soft/Weak..

2. Fisher - Struggles with bull/Power rushers. (Not so much with finesse guys)

3. LDT - IMO, just a little rusty from the injury

I'm really hoping that Ehinger get's a few looks against the NYG. If he can't beat out Witzman, then it's time for his release. As bad as Witzman has been, I'd rather see fulton in a LG....And I absolutely hate fulton.

I think Andy will get the pass protection working again though. I expect to see LDT get going again, and Morse providing more support/help to the LG, whomever that will be.

As for the running game??

Gotta stop running the ball into 7-8 fronts. Alex needs to audible when he sees this, or go play action. This will open up some lanes for Hunt, because like everyone has been saying, Hunt is getting contact 2yds behind the LOS. No one can run the ball successfully like that.

I think the biggest problem with OL is the coaching. We have finesse guys that are decent in open space but terrible against powerful opposition. IMO we should just focus on winning the battle at LOS for the run and simply create and hold a packet in the passing game like the good old days. I think LDT and Schwartz are the only 2 pieces of the OL that's working correctly and Morse could benefit from the new approach as well. The left side needs to get stronger though. Any bull rusher can get past Fisher way too easily, which will be a concern in the playoffs especially against the Steelers.

4. Conley is average imo. I mean no doubt he's made some crucial catches at times but to only have one TD in his career simply isn't good enough for me.

I was thinking about this a little more. Conley is average, but is that necessarily a bad thing? Most teams don't have 2 receivers on their roster that are top 10 talents. The Chiefs do. They have Hill and Kelce. Kelce lines up all over the field and is utilized as a wide receiver more so than as a tight end. So back to my question, yes Conley is average but is that a bad thing?

Considering cap ramifications would the Chiefs be any better by using money to upgrade the #2 WR position which is essentially the #3 receiver position in an offense that likes to spread the ball around. Also, keep in mind the RB position and how it is usually utilized in the offense. So adding that into the conversation, the #2 WR position essentially becomes #4 as a weapon for the QB in an offense that spreads the ball around. If they can upgrade that position without any significant cost against the cap than do it, but I don't think it is necessary. 

Run the damn ball and use Sherman as the lead. This will help the oline, alex and the recievers. There needs to be a old school mentality that the coaches need to adopt. If they use Sherman, everyone is going to benefit. It will add that toughness that we need.

Need to get Hunt going again. He should be the man of match versus the Giants

I"m less concerned about the O-line than some in this thread.  Sure, it could use an upgrade.  What position group couldn't?  But getting Morse and LDT back should be a huge help and Ehingler looked promising early last season before getting hurt.  Don't be in such a hurry to give up on him.  The Chiefs need a TE besides Kelce than can block when needed but also not drop easy balls that hit their hands.  They need a bone-jarring big back to relieve Hunt.  They need an option other than Kelce over the middle.  Wilson makes a few plays, but he's no Edelman/Welker.  Has Hunt gone into a slump, or have the Chiefs been too predictable running him up the gut without their top three interior linemen in front of him?  Hunt is best at avoiding tackles in a little space and Witzman, Fulton, etc. aren't giving him any.  Ehingler, Morse, and LDT should do better.  Smith has gone into a shell at times, but it might be more of a function of play calling from the bench and opportunities than just Smith himself.   

I"m less concerned about the O-line than some in this thread. Sure, it could use an upgrade. What position group couldn't? But getting Morse and LDT back should be a huge help and Ehingler looked promising early last season before getting hurt. Don't be in such a hurry to give up on him. The Chiefs need a TE besides Kelce than can block when needed but also not drop easy balls that hit their hands. They need a bone-jarring big back to relieve Hunt. They need an option other than Kelce over the middle. Wilson makes a few plays, but he's no Edelman/Welker. Has Hunt gone into a slump, or have the Chiefs been too predictable running him up the gut without their top three interior linemen in front of him? Hunt is best at avoiding tackles in a little space and Witzman, Fulton, etc. aren't giving him any. Ehingler, Morse, and LDT should do better. Smith has gone into a shell at times, but it might be more of a function of play calling from the bench and opportunities than just Smith himself.

I wish our oline deficiencies were just one player (if we have to have deficiencies, of course). If only the right side it was weak, we would play calls to the left and Smith would know which way to favor. Of course, teams would know that as well, unfortunately. When some plays have great protection (regardless of what Smith does with it) and someplace don't and when they don't it's all over the place, it is hard to know what to do. Pocket presence could be better for Smith, but it would sure help to know where. Part of that is pre-snap but people have said that Smith's pretty good at that so I think it is a combination of factors.

We all know the issues with the defense which have been discussed in depth. But the question I have in my mind is, what do we need to add to the offense to make it the best in the NFL with no debates? Right now I think our offense is third in the rankings. And in the most part it's been pretty good to watch this season. BUT, there have been games when it's left a lot to be desired aswell. So here's my thoughts.

1. Kelce is the best TE in the game without doubt imo and he's a vital cog in the offense

2. I believe Hill is developing into a top-class WR and could be our version of Antonio Brown if he continues to work hard on his game.

3. Hunt has shown his brilliance in spurts. He's got to get over this little hump he's in at the moment and if he does then no doubt he's a stud too. 

5. Robinson has shown a great ability to get separation and often finds himself in space a whole bunch of times only for Alex to miss him. For him to be legit though he needs to be targeted more and have a few big games to really gain confidence and prove that he can cut it here. I want to see at least three TD's before the end of the season.

6. Wilson is fine as a slot receiver but again if we want to turn our offense into a major player then we may need an upgrade.

7. Alex Smith has done well this season but imo Mahomes needs to start next season.

The O-line could do with some improvement aswell tbh. LDT, Morse and Schwartz aren't bad but we need another quality guard in there as Witzman simply isn't up to standard and Ehinger is a mystery right now.

So, all in all, I'd be inclined to find a quality slot WR and a taller WR to balance out the offense and play alongside Hill, Hunt and Kelce. I'd also like a guard too. 

4 and 5 run together in reality. Smith missed Conley being wide open constantly as well. It's on Alex and nobody else.

I don't care for Wilson. I want to like him, he just doesn't have enough. Not enough length, not enough quickness. 

The O-line needs a real starter at LG instead of this hodgepodge bullshit.   

4 and 5 run together in reality. Smith missed Conley being wide open constantly as well. It's on Alex and nobody else.

I don't care for Wilson. I want to like him, he just doesn't have enough. Not enough length, not enough quickness.

The O-line needs a real starter at LG instead of this hodgepodge bullshit.

LG has been joke forever now..

Archived