Could Rex Ryan be our Wade Phillips?

When you look at both Wade and Rex's records, both have a similar career really. Both have brilliant defensive minds and both have won a Superbowl as defense coordinators. Granted, Wade has had much more opportunities as a head coach, and has won more games in a regular season. BUT, Rex, though not having as much success in the regular season, outperforms Wade by a long way when it comes to playoff games. So all in all both are pretty even when it comes to what they've done in the game. 

Now we look at what Wade is doing at the Rams and I just can't help but wonder whether we'd be best served to seriously consider Rex as DC in the postseason? The wealth of knowledge Wade has built up over the years is just stamped all over the Rams D right now. But what is stamped over our D right now? There is no identity at all is there? 

I think Rex would flourish as our DC because brings with him a great defensive mind which would compliment Andy's high offensive IQ, but he would also bring personality to the dressing room and practice fields which I think is lacking in our coaching staff. Peters screamed at a timid looking Sutton on the sidelines not long ago!!..if that was Rex what do you think would have happened? He probably would have barked right back!!..and that's what our defense needs imo!!..someone who can fire them up.

Rex was a lousy HC, but as a DC he always had a feared attacking defense. I think he'd be a great pick up even though his personality gives me a pain in the ass. I'd rather have the master versus his student, Sutton, in our case, as long as his brother stays away from our team.

Really wish we'd have signed Wade the moment denver released him, our d would be incredible

Does anyone really think that Andy would tolerate a loudmouth like Rex?

That's the question I wonder about. But if it's for the betterment of the team then why not? Reid and Rex haven't clashed before from what I can tell. Infact, both have been complimentary about each other in the past. Rex seems to respect Andy a lot which Is why I think it would work well. And tbh it's his personality, as much as his defensive mind, which is what I think would work because Rex is someone who can get players fired up...and with all due respect Andy and Sutton don't come across as those sort of characters. 

Not a fan of Ryan. He took over a really good defense. We don’t have the players that 2005-2008 Ravens team had. Ryan is nothing special IMO.

The question is would he be better than Sutton with our current defenders? When everything seems to be going our way Chiefs seem to have some attitude whereas the defense folds very quickly when there are some issues. IMO Rex would provide us a defense that's somewhere in between Sutton and Wade Phillips. 

Not a fan of Ryan. He took over a really good defense. We don’t have the players that 2005-2008 Ravens team had. Ryan is nothing special IMO.

Wade Phillips in his last season with Dallas was fired after they were 1-7. Then he took over for a short spell at Houston and was 0-3. So in his last eleven games as a head coach he is 1-10. But that didn't take away the fact that he has a brilliant defensive mind, did it? The proof was rather emphatic in that regard when he helped the Donkey's win the SB just a few years ago as a DC. I personally think Rex has the same ability as Wade and that's why I'm banging this drum now.

I think I would take anyone over Sutton right now. MAYBE.

However, I'm willing to give Sutton a few more games before I completely give up on him. Mainly becuase he's had this defense humming in the past.

I'm still trying to figure out if the defenses issues are: Schematic or Talent or both!!

If it's talent, that's not particulaly Suttons fault...per se.

However, I'm feeling it may be both. Suttons inablility to adjust to the minimal talent that we currently have.

When you have an above average pass rush (Houston/Hali), things like shitty CB play are covered up.(Mitchell/Gaines and sometimes Nelson)

When you have an above average ILB (DJ), shitty dline play is covered up in the run game. (Bailey, Howard and mostly Poe, last year)

When you have a future HOF Safety (EB), shitty ILB play is covered up. (When DJ was injured.)

Sutton does not have any of these so called above average performers, at least not right now.

So I'm going to give him a chance to see if he can't take this pile of lemons.....And make something similar to lemonade before I write him off..

Ryan would be an improvement IMO.  That said, there have been certain weak positions on the field from day one, That has not been a secret for knowledgeable football fans.  The CB/DB positions in particular needs some better PLAYERS (including depth).  Pass rushing has been weak this season.  Run stopping has been disappointing.  Other teams also have losses in critical positions and adjust so everything can't be blamed with the loss of Berry.  Yeah, coaching needs to improve but the coach doesn't get on the field.  An improved D roster in critical areas is also needed.

Really? If this defense remains poor how could they not consider replacing him? It's not like Sutton was with Andy at the Eagles so why would he be so loyal to a man doing a poor job?

He is saying replace him.

Really? If this defense remains poor how could they not consider replacing him? It's not like Sutton was with Andy at the Eagles so why would he be so loyal to a man doing a poor job?

Dude I want to replace him, I just don't think Reid will do it.  If he didn't do it after Colts playoff collapse I don't know what will make him do it now.  Hence, why I say it is wishful thinking that Sutton will be gone.

Dude I want to replace him, I just don't think Reid will do it.  If he didn't do it after Colts playoff collapse I don't know what will make him do it now.  Hence, why I say it is wishful thinking that Sutton will be gone.

I take your point, but that was Reid/Sutton's first season here and the defense was largely decent in that season, wasn't it? So I don't think he was ever gonna pull the trigger after one season of which we had relative success. We're four years on now so I believe surely the circumstances are a lot different? If we fail in the playoffs once more then I see changes coming and Sutton's position will have to be looked at. We as an organisation should always be driven to build the best team possible and you only get that when you have the right coaches in place. 

Colts playoff game was mainly with a team they inherited so I doubt Reid would hold that against Sutton even though a lot of the group is still the same. I think this season has been a bigger collapse for the defense but since it's still the regular season there's some chance to right the ship. However I think there would be some major questions about Sutton if this group doesn't improve in the playoffs.

Archived