Will having a normal schedule have a positive effect on the team?

If Smith makes 2-3 more plays that he didn't in that game KC wins regardless of Bell rushing for 179 yards. Remember though, the guy DID drive us down for a game tying touchdown and 2 point conversion late in the 4th quarter only to have the 2 pt called back by holding. It's not like the guy didn't do anything. PLENTY of HOF QBs had playoff games where they struggled all game and made a late 4th quarter/OT rally to win. This time, a penalty took it away and the Smith haters get to rejoice.

I'm definitely objective, I'm just not constantly jumping off the cliff like 90% of KC sports fans do ALL THE TIME.

Look, I'm just going off history here. In the past 2 seasons the Chiefs are 18-2 after the bye week. Why is thinking they can go 6-1 or 7-0 to finish the year so crazy?

The argument that yeah, they're 12-4/13-3 but in those 3/4 losses is why they won't win a playoff game is pretty short sighted and lazy IMO.

It suggests you literally have to 16-0 to prove you can win the Super Bowl. It doesn't work that way.

Even if they did go 16-0, the same people would just be saying "yeah, 16-0 is great but you can't win 19 games so they're going to lose in the playoffs".

I will go so far as to guarantee if this run defense doesn't get cleaned up it will keep us from playing in the SB. It's not the losses or the record...its the WAY WE ARE LOSING. This isn't just bad defense, this is as bad as any defense in the league.

If they were even average on that side of the ball I'd call us a SB favorite. But our run defense costs us the ability to control the clock, and never gets the offense into 3rd and longs. Which it doesn't matter at this point anyway because they can't rush the passer either.

You'd have to be blind not to be concerned about this teams ability to win playoff games. We are going to have to win shootouts if this continues, and since we aren't running the ball well right now that's unlikely as well.

Sure you can look at our record and say "hey we are 6-3, we are a really good team." We aren't. We have a good offense thats trending the wrong direction. A really bad defense. A ST unit thast isn't scoring TDs. And above all... we aren't creating turnovers this year. Last year that was our calling card. Best turnover ratio in the league.

I will go so far as to guarantee if this run defense doesn't get cleaned up it will keep us from playing in the SB. It's not the losses or the record...its the WAY WE ARE LOSING. This isn't just bad defense, this is as bad as any defense in the league.

If they were even average on that side of the ball I'd call us a SB favorite. But our run defense costs us the ability to control the clock, and never gets the offense into 3rd and longs. Which it doesn't matter at this point anyway because they can't rush the passer either.

You'd have to be blind not to be concerned about this teams ability to win playoff games. We are going to have to win shootouts if this continues, and since we aren't running the ball well right now that's unlikely as well.

Sure you can look at our record and say "hey we are 6-3, we are a really good team." We aren't. We have a good offense thats trending the wrong direction. A really bad defense. A ST unit thast isn't scoring TDs. And above all... we aren't creating turnovers this year. Last year that was our calling card. Best turnover ratio in the league.

Sounds like then even if they were 9-0 but didn't win every game 30-3 it would still be just a bunch of "yeah, but..." 

Of course I have concerns, but I also know this coaching staff and how good they are after the bye week.

The past 2 seasons this type of attitude would've pegged the Chiefs a 4-12 team at each bye week.  We can all go back to the Scout board and find that true. 

All I'm saying is considering they went 18-2 after the bye the previous 2 seasons AND that we're already 6-3 at the bye(and not 2-2 or 3-5), we are in a pretty good spot to fix our issues and get on a roll going into the playoffs.

We may think that we look better but only because of a easier schedule. I don’t care what fans think we look like. This will help us be less worn down come playoffs and more healthy. It will the offense stay on the field more which will let LDT and Morse get back up to speed on playing together and assignments.

It will let Hunt get a taste of some success and learn more plays. It will help the D have a realistic shot at getting off the field quickly. It will give Hill and Robinson more snaps to learn their new positions.

All upside for the team. Looking forward to it.

Our turnover ratio is second best in the NFL.  We have 13 take aways which is tied for 14th but if one more we would be top 10. There is more than just creating turnovers, we are also not giving it away which is huge. We are 9th inside the 20 yard line on punting, so we are winning the field position a lot which is huge. We are not getting ST td's or punt returns for TD's but people are kicking away from Hill if he is back there and that is never really a huge part of the game, the return yards is more so. Last year was more of an anomaly than the norm for us on TD part of it all.

Defense needs to better job of the points per game portion of it. NE is worse overall wise than us in defense but to me, points allowed is the most important. We need to do better in that area and I think we will really work it all out with us getting healthy to control the clock more and on defense along with an easier schedule. Running against top rated offenses and top rated teams with 2 Thursday night games (one being the first of the season) and Monday night games etc. We have had many short weeks to work with and been on the road a lot too. We knew our toughest part of the schedule would be the first 8 games or so and many thought Oakland would be leading it all too by now...... well we still are not in that bad of a spot at 6-3 with all said and done so far with all we have had happen.

Sounds like then even if they were 9-0 but didn't win every game 30-3 it would still be just a bunch of "yeah, but..."

Of course I have concerns, but I also know this coaching staff and how good they are after the bye week.

The past 2 seasons this type of attitude would've pegged the Chiefs a 4-12 team at each bye week. We can all go back to the Scout board and find that true.

All I'm saying is considering they went 18-2 after the bye the previous 2 seasons AND that we're already 6-3 at the bye(and not 2-2 or 3-5), we are in a pretty good spot to fix our issues and get on a roll going into the playoffs.

I don't think we can say that this coaching staff wins after the bye but then ignore this coaching staff has not won much in the playoffs here. We can look back at Reid in Philadelphia and he got to the Super Bowl so that's positive, but we have to take the good and the bad. I'm not saying that you aren't looking at the bad as well. I'm just saying that there's pessimism, optimism, realism, and the lines are blurred. In truth, none of us actually know what's going to happen.

It will have a positive impact on the record but not sure about the team. Chiefs have shortcomings on both sides of the ball. So far the defense hasn't been good against the run and the pass at the same time and offense has been very balanced for only a few games. I think it will be a nice stretch for the entire team to work on these issues but we won't get to see the real state of the team until the playoffs. 

I think your perspective is pretty accurate. The schedule will help. It will help their record, it will help for playoff seeding, and it will help them overcome their shortcomings. The real question is whether or not they can get those things to transfer into the playoffs. 6-3 with the 2nd or 3rd hardest schedule depending upon what stats site your looking at is no small feat. So I believe they can transfer success into the playoffs with the exception of the defense. The defense has just been consistently bad this season with a few bright spots. I don't see how they correct this in season, unless they decide to change the whole scheme...doubtful. 

It's tough being a Chiefs fan sometimes.  We seen this act before, a weakness is discovered during the season, and that weakness usually hurts the team in the playoffs.  Hopefully it will be different this time, but who knows. I think the way the NFL is now, anything  can happen.

The only team  I can think of comparing them to is the 2006 Colts. They had a really bad run defense during  the season, and ironically got it straightened out in the post season against the Chiefs.

Of course they had a future HOF Qb also. They also beat their nemesis the NE Pattriots. Can the Chiefs repair their run D like the Colts, and get past the current nemesis in the form of the Pittsburgh  Steelers ? We shall see, and it would be nice.

It's tough being a Chiefs fan sometimes. We seen this act before, a weakness is discovered during the season, and that weakness usually hurts the team in the playoffs. Hopefully it will be different this time, but who knows. I think the way the NFL is now, anything can happen.

The only team I can think of comparing them to is the 2006 Colts. They had a really bad run defense during the season, and ironically got it straightened out in the post season against the Chiefs.

Of course they had a future HOF Qb also. They also beat their nemesis the NE Pattriots. Can the Chiefs repair their run D like the Colts, and get past the current nemesis in the form of the Pittsburgh Steelers ? We shall see, and it would be nice.

2006 Colts got Bob Sanders back in time for the playoffs and solidified that run D. I hope other teams use our weakness against us, especially as the schedule is weaker. We will be forced to adapt and be better for the playoffs.

What the hell are you talking about? Why exactly do you think we got bounced in ther playoffs last year? You think it had something to do with us giving up 179 yards rushing to Bell?

Or was it because your boy Alex Smith (who is definitely good enough to win a SB accordfing to you) absolutely shat himself? You can't have it both ways.

You always talk about the pessimism of us KC fans but you appear to be a bit of a blind homer. I've listened to you do this talking about the Royals too.

We lost last year to Pitt because both our rush defense and Alex were bad. Had either shown up we win. I think that game combined with the fact we had so much critical consensus about Mahomes was the catalyst behind our bold trade up to target our future.

As for normal schedule helping us. You bet. LOL

2006 Colts got Bob Sanders back in time for the playoffs and solidified that run D. I hope other teams use our weakness against us, especially as the schedule is weaker. We will be forced to adapt and be better for the playoffs.

KPL in that nickel safety role helped vs Dallas. He's got some coverage skills with that speed as well. We don't have a ton of other options in that spot. Sorenson was a disaster there. It's a tenuous situation for sure when you replace an elite versatile Eric Berry with major question marks.

Archived