Super Bowl bound? NOT LIKELY

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's it matter?  I thought you said the Chiefs would never win a Super Bowl with Alex Smith at Quarterback?

Now they can't because of their run defense?  So they can win a SB with Alex Smith but won't unless they improve the run defense?

I'm confused.

What's it matter? I thought you said the Chiefs would never win a Super Bowl with Alex Smith at Quarterback?

Now they can't because of their run defense? So they can win a SB with Alex Smith but won't unless they improve the run defense?

I'm confused.

Ultimately, what difference does it make?

The Chiefs defense doesn’t have to be great for the Chiefs to have what it takes to win the Super Bowl thanks to the way the offense is playing, but they do need to improve. If the Chiefs can do the following they will give themselves a really good chance to go all the way.

Somehow, fix the run defense. Get a little better against the pass. Keep it going on the offense.

I think we will see our defense getting healthy and better because of who we play. We also will try out different people and get a lot more reps in for the developing players. All of this will help as we did start 5-0 including wins against NE and Philly in that run. Adjust, get healthy, get a bye and win 3 straight for a sb win....

We need to either get the run defense so that it's not a major liability or get the offense back to where it's a top tier group to offset that. If we get neither, no we aren't going to win the Super Bowl. Inserting KPL into the nickel corner role seemed to help as we were really solid against Elliott last game (2nd lowest YPA for him all season). But we also got exposed with the run group in the there vs the passing game at times as well. Losing Berry really hurts the diversity of what Sutton tries to do. We will see if there's any further adjustments on Sunday. 

Offensively the oline is getting healthy and has a chance to get Kareem going again. I think this has a very legit chance to happen and that opens up a lot of options for Andy. 

Bottom line is I look at the AFC and see no juggernauts. The best team is NE who weve already beaten. PItt is our nemesis style wise but man is Big Ben looking old. They aren't playing well either. 

I think if this team does enough to win the division and get back into the playoffs we will be formidable. But the way we've played the last month with the questions above puts all games in jeopardy right now much less a Super Bowl run. We will see. 

The Chiefs defense doesn’t have to be great for the Chiefs to have what it takes to win the Super Bowl thanks to the way the offense is playing, but they do need to improve. If the Chiefs can do the following they will give themselves a really good chance to go all the way.

Somehow, fix the run defense. Get a little better against the pass. Keep it going on the offense.

I think we will see our defense getting healthy and better because of who we play. We also will try out different people and get a lot more reps in for the developing players. All of this will help as we did start 5-0 including wins against NE and Philly in that run. Adjust, get healthy, get a bye and win 3 straight for a sb win....

Nope, the 3 losses to PIT, OAK & DAL trump the wins over NE, PHI, WAS, HOU(playoff contender at the time) because they were at the beginning of the season and they don't matter now.  Even if we do got 6-1 or 7-0 and trounce the remaining teams we play it's only because of how easy the schedule was.

*whispers*  "The Chiefs were 6-3 against the toughest schedule in the league"

Well, it's a QB league, you gotta have a top 5 QB to win a Super Bowl.  The Chiefs will never win a Super Bowl with Alex Smith at QB.

*whispers*  "Alex Smith is a top 5 QB this year"

Oh wait, the Chiefs' defense sucks, defense wins championships, that's it.  You gotta stop the run and have a top 5 defense to win the Super Bowl now. 

Nope, the 3 losses to PIT, OAK & DAL trump the wins over NE, PHI, WAS, HOU(playoff contender at the time) because they were at the beginning of the season and they don't matter now.  Even if we do got 6-1 or 7-0 and trounce the remaining teams we play it's only because of how easy the schedule was.

Well, it's a QB league, you gotta have a top 5 QB to win a Super Bowl.  The Chiefs will never win a Super Bowl with Alex Smith at QB.

Oh wait, the Chiefs' defense sucks, defense wins championships, that's it.  You gotta stop the run and have a top 5 defense to win the Super Bowl now. 

I believe Dorsey's defensive philosophy was to focus on pass rush and a deep secondary and sacrifice run defense to do it. The most important stats I've found for team success are YPA passing offense and defense. And yards per play offense and defense. We don't need to be good vs the run. We just can't be bad. 

We need to either get the run defense so that it's not a major liability or get the offense back to where it's a top tier group to offset that. If we get neither, no we aren't going to win the Super Bowl. Inserting KPL into the nickel corner role seemed to help as we were really solid against Elliott last game (2nd lowest YPA for him all season). But we also got exposed with the run group in the there vs the passing game at times as well. Losing Berry really hurts the diversity of what Sutton tries to do. We will see if there's any further adjustments on Sunday.

Offensively the oline is getting healthy and has a chance to get Kareem going again. I think this has a very legit chance to happen and that opens up a lot of options for Andy.

Bottom line is I look at the AFC and see no juggernauts. The best team is NE who weve already beaten. PItt is our nemesis style wise but man is Big Ben looking old. They aren't playing well either.

I think if this team does enough to win the division and get back into the playoffs we will be formidable. But the way we've played the last month with the questions above puts all games in jeopardy right now much less a Super Bowl run. We will see.

NE week 1 versus NE right represent polar opposites. One could say the same thing about KC, presently. NE is 5-0 last five and we’re 2-3.

NE week 1 versus NE right represent polar opposites. One could say the same thing about KC, presently. NE is 5-0 last five and we’re 2-3.

YEAH, BUT, they played TB, NYJ, ATL, SD and DEN.  

Those 5 teams combined record on the year is 18-28.

They've played 3 teams with a winning record all year:  1-2 in those games(KC, NO and CAR) 

We match up well with NE and hence why we beat them . They also aren't very good vs run (24th overall and last in YPC defense). And they don't run the ball all that effectively either (18th overall).  This years playoffs are more wide open than in many years in my opinion in both leagues. Key is to get yourself into the playoffs so that you have a chance. Point is we have already proven we can hang with the elite of this league. Now we need to prove that we can consistently beat those teams that aren't elite to give us a chance to play against them in January. 

Let me make this simple...Do you know why KC fans expect the worst and don't ever seen to believe that their team will make it to the SB? Because they haven't for almost half a century.

Let me make this simple...Do you know why KC fans expect the worst and don't ever seen to believe that their team will make it to the SB? Because they haven't for almost half a century.

yeah, we used to say the same things about the Royals all the time too.

Fact remains, most KC fans are just crybaby whiners.

Drafting Mahomes changed everything as you know. We were already a well run organization but now even more dangerous because we are clearly committed to winning in January and even willing to sacrifice short term to do it. The Royals analogy was a good one because even as late as 2014 the less knowledgeable fans didn't recognize it was a change in philosophy which would eventually reap benefits. There are zero guarantees. But when you are well run AND committed to being great. It's only a matter of time in my opinion. 

Archived