Super Bowl bound? NOT LIKELY

Drafting Mahomes changed everything as you know. We were already a well run organization but now even more dangerous because we are clearly committed to winning in January and even willing to sacrifice short term to do it.... There are zero guarantees.

A self-contradicting philosophy so innocently expressed.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This response betrays what is at the heart of what is dumb about the Anti-Alex contingent of Chiefs fans.

You need to get past the Alex fixation. It doesn't matter what anyone thinks about him because his time here is limited. Likewise he should clearly be the starter now so everyone should just root him on and hope for the best. 

Drafting Mahomes changed everything as you know. We were already a well run organization but now even more dangerous because we are clearly committed to winning in January...

...which means that with Alex Smith quarterbacking, the team wasn't committed to winning in January. Except that they have. And except that you still had to concede that there were no guarantees. And except that the Chiefs' defense is the reason the Chiefs probably won't win in January. So although I called you out for your Alex-based double-standard, it is not I win the Alex Smith fixation. It is you: You are of the opinion that the Chiefs cannot win because they have Alex Smith. Your worldview of football allows no place for Alex Smith on the Chiefs' roster, even though the Chiefs may already be winning more games now than they ever will with Patrick Mahomes.

You've visibly waffled on your own statement, and you're redirecting accountability to me, as if my saying that the Chiefs win because of Alex Smith is somehow deserving of censure. But let's stick to the subject: People like you believe the Chiefs can't win because Alex isn't good enough. People like you can no longer justify that argument. They can only duck the issue and redirect attention elsewhere.

...which means that with Alex Smith quarterbacking, the team wasn't committed to winning in January. Except that they have. And except that you still had to concede that there were no guarantees. And except that the Chiefs' defense is the reason the Chiefs probably won't win in January. So although I called you out for your Alex-based double-standard, it is not I win the Alex Smith fixation. It is you: You are of the opinion that the Chiefs cannot win because they have Alex Smith. Your worldview of football allows no place for Alex Smith on the Chiefs' roster, even though the Chiefs may already be winning more games now than they ever will with Patrick Mahomes.

You've visibly waffled on your own statement, and you're redirecting accountability to me, as if my saying that the Chiefs win because of Alex Smith is somehow deserving of censure. But let's stick to the subject: People like you believe the Chiefs can't win because Alex isn't good enough. People like you can no longer justify that argument. They can only duck the issue and redirect attention elsewhere.

Yoy make a lot of wrong assumptions. I believe quite simply and logically that the higher the quality of your QB play, the less talented the roster around that guy has to be. And also this makes you less succeptabld to injuries derailing your season. Every team has its tipping point, but that tipping point is harder to reach when your better at QB.

And where do the elite QBs in this league come from more than any other place. First round of the NFL draft. A place our organization had not taken a QB in three decades. So when your plan at QB is to continually pick up veteran guys that another team doesn't want as their starter, there's an absolute disconnect between hoping to be great and actually making sacrifices to get there.

Why the heck do you think Andy Reid signed off on Pat Mahomes rather than just keeping Alex Smith and upgrade elsewhere. Because he knows what most on this board besides yourself seem too. And that is the best chance to win a Lombardi or more is to try and be elite for the first time in my lifetime at games most important position.

Sorry you don't get it. I'm glad Andy Reid does. So you can take it up with him. Either way it's irrelevant as the decision was made that 1 playoff win in 25 years isn't enough.

derp, derp, derp, look at me, I'm saying whatever I want to say and never admit to being wrong!

Lmao. True story. That said, for the first time in a long time I am concerned about the defense. The Chiefs have stars but they also have depth issues. Going into this season I would have said you're crazy if I heard that. Now, I'm questioning how good Dorsey really was at drafting defense. If the best and only good player drafted is Marcus Peters that is down right horrible

Yoy make a lot of wrong assumptions. I believe quite simply and logically that the higher the quality of your QB play, the less talented the roster around that guy has to be. And also this makes you less succeptabld to injuries derailing your season. Every team has its tipping point, but that tipping point is harder to reach when your better at QB.

I've never argued against this. And come post-season, Smith's persistently been surrounded by one of the lesser-talented rosters, often derailed by the errant play of one of the backup's backup's backups.

And where do the elite QBs in this league come from more than any other place. First round of the NFL draft. A place our organization had not taken a QB in three decades. So when your plan at QB is to continually pick up veteran guys that another team doesn't want as their starter, there's an absolute disconnect between hoping to be great and actually making sacrifices to get there.

Todd Blackledge came out of the first round. Tom Brady came out of the sixth. Draft pedigree has little to do with what a player becomes. Franchises tend to chase sunk costs, and for that reason, early-round picks get better opportunities for development.

When you know what you are shopping for, do you deliberately try to overpay? No, you don't. There's no virtue in parting with capital for the sake of parting with capital. The Chiefs haven't done better by spending more; they've merely assigned more resources to one prospect, and that decision is far from having been justified. Right now, the Chiefs have sunk money into a player from whom they've gotten zero return.

I've never argued against this. And come post-season, Smith's persistently been surrounded by one of the lesser-talented rosters, often derailed by the errant play of one of the backup's backup's backups.

We needed good QB play in both of our last two playoff games to advance and got it in neither. Completion percentage of 58 percent, woeful QB rating near 70, and a ridiculously low YPA at barely 5.00. The image of a wide open Tyreek Hill streaking up the hash marks uncovered as Alex checks off into a dump off to Ware still resonates. We need a QB who can make that play when we need it. Alex has spent most of his time in KC being the recipeient of short fields via a ball hawking defense and Alex is great at not returning the favor. But he's an above average passer and that's it. And in a league where rules favor the passing game so much that isn't good enough. And again it's why Andy Reid decided to try and upgrade with a clearly superior arm talent. It's not hard to figure out.

Andy wants a QB that can better overcome injuries and roster deficiencies than Alex. That's why he drafted Pat rather than committing to Alex for the next 5 years. And that is a major difference than anything we've done around here in decades. it bothers the haters as it should.

Todd Blackledge came out of the first round. Tom Brady came out of the sixth. Draft pedigree has little to do with what a player becomes. Franchises tend to chase sunk costs, and for that reason, early-round picks get better opportunities for development.

When you know what you are shopping for, do you deliberately try to overpay? No, you don't. There's no virtue in parting with capital for the sake of parting with capital. The Chiefs haven't done better by spending more; they've merely assigned more resources to one prospect, and that decision is far from having been justified. Right now, the Chiefs have sunk money into a player from whom they've gotten zero return.

You may well get zero returns from any one player, but when your philosophy is to finally prioritize the games most important position it enhances your chances to finally be great there for the first time in many decades. Our philosophy with building around other teams castoffs at QBs never worked and it's why we don't have a Lombardi since 1969 despite some really talented teams including in the Reid era. There was conseunsis within all the key decision makers about Mahomes. And that is a change of course that's a good one if you are interested in being great. And the justification for this move is history as well as the reality our current QB hasn't played well when we needed him most in a playoff geme since 2013.

You may well get zero returns from any one player, but when your philosophy is to finally prioritize the games most important position it enhances your chances to finally be great there for the first time in many decades. Our philosophy with building around other teams castoffs at QBs never worked and it's why we don't have a Lombardi since 1969 despite some really talented teams including in the Reid era. There was conseunsis within all the key decision makers about Mahomes. And that is a change of course that's a good one if you are interested in being great. And the justification for this move is history as well as the reality our current QB hasn't played well when we needed him most in a playoff geme since 2013.

You clearly put a lot of stock in hope. I've always needed something more real.

We needed good QB play in both of our last two playoff games to advance and got it in neither. Completion percentage of 58 percent, woeful QB rating near 70, and a ridiculously low YPA at barely 5.00. The image of a wide open Tyreek Hill streaking up the hash marks uncovered as Alex checks off into a dump off to Ware still resonates. We need a QB who can make that play when we need it. Alex has spent most of his time in KC being the recipeient of short fields via a ball hawking defense and Alex is great at not returning the favor. But he's an above average passer and that's it. And in a league where rules favor the passing game so much that isn't good enough. And again it's why Andy Reid decided to try and upgrade with a clearly superior arm talent. It's not hard to figure out.

Andy wants a QB that can better overcome injuries and roster deficiencies than Alex. That's why he drafted Pat rather than committing to Alex for the next 5 years. And that is a major difference than anything we've done around here in decades. it bothers the haters as it should.

Since you believe statistics tell most of the story, I won't bother continuing this discussion. The one bit of film you reference was specifically addressed by Alex Smith himself, and was not contradicted by anyone: Hill wasn't in the progressions. Blame the offensive coordinator, or blame Reid. It's not Smith's job to rewrite schemes.

Colin Kaepernick had superior arm talent. Jay Cutler has superior arm talent. Matt Stafford has superior arm talent. The three of them combined have zero Super Bowl rings. Most Super Bowl-winners did not have superior arm talent. Just a reminder.

You clearly put a lot of stock in hope. I've always needed something more real.

You mean like scouting. LOL. Dare to be great with a talent you believe in over a guy you know is not great. Again I believe in Andy Reid above anyone else when it comes to evaluating QB talent. He knew he needed better than we have but also realized Alex was good enough we could be patient and wait for the draft we found a guy we loved. That's what happened and we pounced. It's exciting stuff.

You mean like scouting. LOL. Dare to be great with a talent you believe in over a guy you know is not great. Again I believe in Andy Reid above anyone else when it comes to evaluating QB talent. He knew he needed better than we have but also realized Alex was good enough we could be patient and wait for the draft we found a guy we loved. That's what happened and we pounced. It's exciting stuff.

Yes, the rush at the craps table. I get it. The money's on the table. The Chiefs are holding the dice. They'll roll them eventually. And when they do, we find out if drafting Patrick Mahomes was a great idea or not.

Part of me is hoping the Chiefs bought Mahomes on spec in a draft they deemed to be weak. If a two-start Garoppolo can fetch an early-second-round pick on an expiring contract, perhaps some team is desperate enough to give up a pair of early first-round picks for a player with exciting preseason highlight reels, three years of control, and a first-round option.

Yes, the rush at the craps table. I get it. The money's on the table. The Chiefs are holding the dice. They'll roll them eventually. And when they do, we find out if drafting Patrick Mahomes was a great idea or not.

Part of me is hoping the Chiefs bought Mahomes on spec in a draft they deemed to be weak. If a two-start Garoppolo can fetch an early-second-round pick on an expiring contract, perhaps some team is desperate enough to give up a pair of early first-round picks for a player with exciting preseason highlight reels, three years of control, and a first-round option.

You are truly confused if you believe we brought in Mahomes to trade him. That's laughable beyond response. Andy finally found a QB he loved after four offseasons and we pounced like an organization thats actually tired of January dissapointment. I love it. And your talking with one of Alex Smiths biggest supporters. He's a solid QB.

Reid and company had chances to draft qbs.... even when they had the first overall pick and could have used the second round picks too that we gave up for Smith. Reid was right then to go after Smith and if he feels Mahomes is the guy now, then why even argue the fact? There have been plenty of strong arm qbs to win it too. Rodgers, Farve, manning did not have to bad of an arm but his touch was outstanding, Flacco etc. I have been through the statistics on qbs in the first round and how they stack up, number of times a sb was won and even if they were won by with the original drafting team of said Qb. They pointed to a greater chance for it with a higher round pick. Throw in a coach like Reid, the talent we have on offense and learning for a year too....man I like the odds thst he will work out just fine!

You are truly confused if you believe we brought in Mahomes to trade him. That's laughable beyond response. Andy finally found a QB he loved after four offseasons and we pounced like an organization thats actually tired of January dissapointment. I love it. And your talking with one of Alex Smiths biggest supporters. He's a solid QB.

Andy found? What about the rest of the staff? Including the staff that's no longer here?

I think Reid was also concerned with Smith's age and salary cap. Those things don't really matter if Alex were Tom Brady, but I don't think it is only that he didn't think Alex couldn't win, I think he thought that Alex would decline and Mahomes was someone they wanted for a long time with his upside, age, and cap hit. Of course, Dorsey thought enough about Veach's guy that he parted with those picks.

Andy found? What about the rest of the staff? Including the staff that's no longer here?

From all accounts there was unbelievable consensus behind Mahomes. But there's no doubt Andy picks the QBs around here. And Andy was the guy who directly worked with Klif Kingsbury throughout the process. After four seasons we finally had our guy. And we boldly went up and got him. That's massive progress for an organization that's settled for other teams backups for many years.

You clearly put a lot of stock in hope. I've always needed something more real.

You need something real. Something tangible. Something you can hang your hat on. Something concrete. Something like playoff wins. How many does Smith have? How many years has he been in the league? So broken down mathematically he is averaging roughly a playoff win for every 4 years played. What a transcendent talent he is.

Since you believe statistics tell most of the story, I won't bother continuing this discussion. The one bit of film you reference was specifically addressed by Alex Smith himself, and was not contradicted by anyone: Hill wasn't in the progressions. Blame the offensive coordinator, or blame Reid. It's not Smith's job to rewrite schemes.

Colin Kaepernick had superior arm talent. Jay Cutler has superior arm talent. Matt Stafford has superior arm talent. The three of them combined have zero Super Bowl rings. Most Super Bowl-winners did not have superior arm talent. Just a reminder.

That's a dumb excuse and these 2 paragraphs perfectly illustrate the disconnect between your stance and reality.

What makes mahomes such a great prospect isn't the cannon, it's the field vision and ability to scan the whole field and find the right guy. It's the willingness to keep his eyes downfield when scrambling. It's the brain not the arm.

You are absolutely embarrassing yourself in this thread.

Alex Smith's wife isn't this enamored with him.

Archived