Super Bowl bound? NOT LIKELY

That's a dumb excuse and these 2 paragraphs perfectly illustrate the disconnect between your stance and reality.

What makes mahomes such a great prospect isn't the cannon, it's the field vision and ability to scan the whole field and find the right guy. It's the willingness to keep his eyes downfield when scrambling. It's the brain not the arm.

You are absolutely embarrassing yourself in this thread.

Alex Smith's wife isn't this enamored with him.

The odd thing is that I have always been known as an Alex Smith advocate because I do think he's underappreciated. But I also know he's got limitations and is a solid QB but clearly not on the same level as the elite QB we are aspiring to have. But this guy has every excuse in the book for Alex to the point it's just laughable. I actually thought he was kidding for a while some of it is so absurd.

Mahomes has the elite arm, but also what they love is his competitiveness, work ethic and indeed that natural ability to look for big plays with his mobility by keeping his eyes downfield just as you say. And we are now hearing about his vision with those eyes as well. There's gonna be a learning curve for sure, but it's easy to see why most fans are really excited.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a dumb excuse and these 2 paragraphs perfectly illustrate the disconnect between your stance and reality.

What makes mahomes such a great prospect isn't the cannon, it's the field vision and ability to scan the whole field and find the right guy. It's the willingness to keep his eyes downfield when scrambling. It's the brain not the arm.

I don't know, it would be tough to outdo the thread where he said losing Conley was the biggest injury the team has had.... 

right dude, this coming from the guy who cries about conspiracy theories against the chiefs with penalty calls, etc.

pot, kettle, you know how it goes

Chiefs Coalition @Chiefscoalition 24h24 hours ago

I wonder if someone on the Steelers has special connections with the broadcast teams. It's like they have inside information from the production meetings every time we play them. They have to be cheating!

He has Russell Wilson like prowess with maybe even a better arm. My assumption anyways.

He has Russell Wilson like prowess with maybe even a better arm. My assumption anyways.

Actually Mahomes has a cannon arm like Favre as suggested by a lot of guys including Favre's initial QB coach who happens to be our HC at the moment. The rest is the vital part but arm is the added bonus. 

I've never argued against this. And come post-season, Smith's persistently been surrounded by one of the lesser-talented rosters, often derailed by the errant play of one of the backup's backup's backups.

I will agree with this. It is true, someone key is always missing. And usually more than one.

Yes, the rush at the craps table. I get it. The money's on the table. The Chiefs are holding the dice. They'll roll them eventually. And when they do, we find out if drafting Patrick Mahomes was a great idea or not.

With this perspective you could pretty much apply that to every draft pick no matter the position. Its all a "roll of the dice." They did their homework, and they took a chance. Having no hope it will work out is rather depressing, don't you think?

With this perspective you could pretty much apply that to every draft pick no matter the position. Its all a "roll of the dice." They did their homework, and they took a chance. Having no hope it will work out is rather depressing, don't you think?

Andy Reid and QBs failing on his watch is not something you hear very often. I wouldn't be a bit surprised after we trade Alex next offseason if he regresses under another coach though. It's almost likely. 

The Chiefs are setting up to be another division round at best team.

It hurts, but it's the same team we've seen forever, but now worse because the defense has fallen off.

Alex Smith has been a total mirage this year, too. His one great game in New England made everyone think he turned the corner.

Facts are, if you take that game away, Alex has played poorly against all teams except the 23rd in points given up Raiders and no Watt/no Mercilus Texans who give up the 2nd most points in the league.

This team has major problems and people don't want to acknowledge them.

It hurts, but it's the same team we've seen forever, but now worse because the defense has fallen off.

Alex Smith has been a total mirage this year, too. His one great game in New England made everyone think he turned the corner.

Facts are, if you take that game away, Alex has played poorly against all teams except the 23rd in points given up Raiders and no Watt/no Mercilus Texans who give up the 2nd most points in the league.

How has it been a mirage? Are we going to take away games that all other QB's played when they faced a banged up defense or a crappy defense, too? If you do it for one you better do it for all. Should we only judge QB's based on how they played against the absolute best defenses? Come on man, yes there are still weaknesses but the Chiefs played the 2nd or 3rd hardest schedule depending upon which metrics you use from various websites. Seth from Arrowhead Pride rewatches every single game in All-22 and has discussed at length how well he has played and how poorly he has played. Mirage? He is playing as a top 10 QB. The mirage was when people thought he was MVP of the year, but he's still a top 10 QB. I will admit I thought for a brief time he was MVP of the year. He's come back down to earth. HE's still on pace for 4,000 yards, still on pace for 30+ TD's, and still looking like his interception habits are not on the decline. Mirage? I'll take that QB every season if he produces like that.

Andy Reid and QBs failing on his watch is not something you hear very often. I wouldn't be a bit surprised after we trade Alex next offseason if he regresses under another coach though. It's almost likely. 

I agree. One of the best coaching minds in the NFL coaching up your very talented QB prospect. How can you not have hope? I think that is a very safe bet to put money on.

Get a Clue.

Matt McMullen @KCChiefs_Matt 6h6 hours ago

No quarterback has been better on the road this season than Alex Smith. He leads the league in passer rating (128.2), completion percentage (75.5) and touchdowns (14) while ranking second in yards (1,452) in five road games.

NFL Stats @NFL_Stats Nov 11

Top 10 QBs in Comp. % (2017) 1) Drew Brees - 71.6% 2) Josh McCown - 70.4% 3) Alex Smith - 69.6% 4) Kirk Cousins - 67.9% 5) Tom Brady - 66.7% 6) Mike Glennon - 66.4% 7) Aaron Rodgers - 66.3% 8) Jay Cutler - 66.2% 9) Matt Ryan - 65.6% 10) Tyrod Taylor - 65.3%

Smith 113.9 QB Rating Leads the league: http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/quarterbackRating

Alex Smith GameLog:  http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/8416/alex-smith

Only 2 games with a QB rating under 100;  vs DEN and PIT

Facts are he played poorly in a game where he had 325 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs, 78% completions? Are you the Fake News fact checker or something? LOL. Welcome to the board. 

Have you guys not been paying attention the last month?

It started with the Steelers. They came in our house AGAIN (ugh) and dominated us. They also laid the blueprint of how to stop our offense: Load the box and use zone blitzes to confuse Alex.

Their gameplan worked successfully and Alex had his worst game of the year. Then Denver copied them and forced Alex into another poor game. The Dallas copied that blueprint and Alex (again) had another poor game.

This has all happened in the last month.

To be fair, it's not just him. This defense is in major trouble. We STILL don't have an answer for the ILB next to DJ (this has been a problem for several years ), no reliable 2nd CB and now 2 of our best players, DJ and EB, have Achilles problems (be honest guys...DJ isn't DJ anymore).

We're better than everyone but two teams in what conference. I think we can beat the patriots if we play them at home, but not if we play in New England again. As for the Steelers, I have zero faith in u if we play them at home, but not if we play in New England again. As for the Steelers, I have zero faith in our ability to beat that team. Twice now they have dominated us in every facet of the game.

It is what it is.

Have you guys not been paying attention the last month?

It started with the Steelers. They came in our house AGAIN (ugh) and dominated us. They also laid the blueprint of how to stop our offense: Load the box and use zone blitzes to confuse Alex.

Their gameplan worked successfully and Alex had his worst game of the year. Then Denver copied them and forced Alex into another poor game. The Dallas copied that blueprint and Alex (again) had another poor game.

This has all happened in the last month.

To be fair, it's not just him. This defense is in major trouble. We STILL don't have an answer for the ILB next to DJ (this has been a problem for several years ), no reliable 2nd CB and now 2 of our best players, DJ and EB, have Achilles problems (be honest guys...DJ isn't DJ anymore).

We're better than everyone but two teams in what conference. I think we can beat the patriots if we play them at home, but not if we play in New England again. As for the Steelers, I have zero faith in u if we play them at home, but not if we play in New England again. As for the Steelers, I have zero faith in our ability to beat that team. Twice now they have dominated us in every facet of the game.

It is what it is.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you say, but I also think we hit a wall of sorts physically and really needed that bye week.

Steven Nelson is a good cornerback and tackler in the slot. If he's truly getting healthy he can make a big difference. Likewise we still have our three starting corners who were playing very solid at the end of last season. I'd get Mitchell back out there and go with that trio.

The 3 safety lineup hasn't worked with this group and Sutton has to try something else. KPL showed promise in that spot last game where the run defense clearly improved. We will see

Offensively getting oline back is very helpful. That's an obvious spot wheee we should improve. Not many teams in this league have playmaking trio like Hill, Hunt and Kelce. It gives us a chance.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you say, but I also think we hit a wall of sorts physically and really needed that bye week.

Steven Nelson is a good cornerback and tackler in the slot. If he's truly getting healthy he can make a big difference. Likewise we still have our three starting corners who were playing very solid at the end of last season. I'd get Mitchell back out there and go with that trio.

The 3 safety lineup hasn't worked with this group and Sutton has to try something else. KPL showed promise in that spot last game where the run defense clearly improved. We will see

Offensively getting oline back is very helpful. That's an obvious spot wheee we should improve. Not many teams in this league have playmaking trio like Hill, Hunt and Kelce. It gives us a chance.

Few things here:

-defense wins championships. We don't have a good defense unfortunately. It's going to take probably 2 years to fix it.

-Alex hasn't played well against good defenses. They put 8 in the box and take away Kareem Hunt and then they we can't pass the ball against single coverage?

-Andy is getting outcoached. Steelers, Broncos and Cowboys all used to the same gameplan to shut this offense down and Andy hasn't found a way to adjust. Maybe because Alex can't adjust?

You are free to a different opinion, that's fine. I'm just saying..I've been watching this team religiously for 30 years and I'm seeing the same problems that the Chiefs have always had.

I will agree with this. It is true, someone key is always missing. And usually more than one.

Enough with the excuses guys. This is Alex's year... Watching Big Ben torch TN leads me to believe Pitt will get home field advantage for the playoffs. Alex Smith will need to out duel him in January at a frigid, possibly slick Heinz field. We'll really see what he and this Chiefs team is made of. The rest of the regular season is chump change as far as the Chiefs are concerned. The boys and men will be separated in late January.

Few things here:

-defense wins championships. We don't have a good defense unfortunately. It's going to take probably 2 years to fix it.

-Alex hasn't played well against good defenses. They put 8 in the box and take away Kareem Hunt and then they we can't pass the ball against single coverage?

-Andy is getting outcoached. Steelers, Broncos and Cowboys all used to the same gameplan to shut this offense down and Andy hasn't found a way to adjust. Maybe because Alex can't adjust?

You are free to a different opinion, that's fine. I'm just saying..I've been watching this team religiously for 30 years and I'm seeing the same problems that the Chiefs have always had.

this is opinion is just flat out wrong, sorry.  It's just stupid cliches regurgitated from sports media.  Defense wins championships?  That's the oldest one in the book.

I've already posted the Alex Smith stats that prove this wrong.

lol Oh no, Andy Reid didn't out coach every coach for 9 weeks in a row and we're not 9-0!!!   The fact that this person thinks the Broncos have out-coached anyone this season should tell you enough about this misguided opinion.

Just hilarious to see the Chiefs get so much criticism for 3 losses while the same fans completely dismiss the facts that NE hasn't played but 2 teams with a winning record all season and everyone is just throwing out the fact that PIT lost to CHI and JAX in blowouts.

this is opinion is just flat out wrong, sorry. It's just stupid cliches regurgitated from sports media. Defense wins championships? That's the oldest one in the book.

I've already posted the Alex Smith stats that prove this wrong.

lol Oh no, Andy Reid didn't out coach every coach for 9 weeks in a row and we're not 9-0!!! The fact that this person thinks the Broncos have out-coached anyone this season should tell you enough about this misguided opinion.

Just hilarious to see the Chiefs get so much criticism for 3 losses while the same fans completely dismiss the facts that NE hasn't played but 2 teams with a winning record all season and everyone is just throwing out the fact that PIT lost to CHI and JAX in blowouts.

How is that wrong? Defense doesn't win championships?!

It's been proven that you absolutely have to have a good defense or win a SB most of the time.

Tom Brady has never won a SB without a top 10 statistical defense.

Broncos were an all-time defense and so were the Seahawks.

The Buccaneers were obviously an all-time defense.

The Steelers had very good defenses in both of their SB wins.

The Giants defense was very good in both of their SB wins.

Ravens were one of the best of all time in 2001.

I don't see how anyone could think that's not true. It's been the case like 95% of the time.

Archived